Changing actor colors without changing actors.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker 2000/2003' started by Benny Jackdaw, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Trying to work out my Red Mode feature in my game Earthquake Warriors RPG. It plays off the trope of enemies turning red when they're low on life. I like games that does this because, IMO, enemies that are a bright, juicy red tend to be more satisfying to beat up. The difference is that it's the player that turns red when low on life instead of the enemies. However...

A while ago, you may remember that I had to change a feature. When a character uses a G.G. gem, they grow huge and fight alone. The game crashes every time a character tries to do this when they're not alone, so I made it so they can only use the item when alone. Unfortunately, this same error conflicts with one of my character's G.G. forms. One character can grow a trunk to act as a second ally. Of course, when the characters go into red mode, they change actors and the error comes up again. ...In addition to this problem, it's hard to be consistent with the actors HP. Is there a way to have the actors change colors without changing actors?

2. CleanWater

CleanWater Independent Developer Veteran

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Change battlers maybe?

3. Benny Jackdaw

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    No, that's the very thing I'm trying to work AROUND. I'm trying to change the color withOUT changing the battlers. Is it possible to change the graphics of a character without changing the character itself?

4. CleanWater

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    You can inflict a "weak state" on your characters then, and add a "red" sprite for the weak state, but it will change only their "standby" color.

5. Benny Jackdaw

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I COULD just stick with what I'm doing now, but that would mean one of my guys cannot use his signature move in the Arena, and I want to make it so he CAN use it. Is there any way I can bypass that error? Like, what if I had the trunk changed in a different event that happens one turn afterward, or maybe the trunk disappears entirely and needs to be summoned again.

6. CleanWater

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Benny Jackdaw I'm afraid that it's something that's not achievable on RM2k3. I may be wrong, but I can't think of any other solution for this besides the ones I mentioned. :|

7. Benny Jackdaw

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Well, I tried to make a state that makes the trunk disappear (By setting it to a state set to an empty area in the spritefile), but it's not working. When I try to make the event give Toasty's trunk that state, nothing happens. I feel if I could just do that, I'd be able to achieve what I want.

CleanWater likes this.