Changing battle message text color

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by Raen Andaleio, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raen Andaleio

Raen Andaleio Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Hello everyone,

I have a problem concerning text color, maybe someone has a solution to that.
    I replaced the original message boxes with my own design. Looks just fine, but since it's brighter than the original, the white text with black outline didn't look that good on it.

Removing the outline was simple, that's just one line of code, but now the text was white only and rather hard to read.
    Since I didn't know how to change the color of the interface text and was too lazy to add \c[...] to each dialog box, I simply swapped black and white in the Window.png file.
    This worked just fine, and it looks good. However, the battle messages are now rather hard to read (see attached image).
    So basically, I need to change the battle message text color back to white. And maybe increase the opacity of the text backgrounds a bit, so it stays readable on lighter backgrounds.
    Does anyone know how to do that?

Regards

~Raen

battle-messages.png

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to RGSSx Script Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Add this to a new script slot:

Code:
    class Window_Battlelog < Window_Selectable  def reset_font_settings    super    change_color(text_color(15))  endend
    If that doesn't work, see which tile in your windowskin has the white color (top left is 0, not 1) and use that instead of 15.

3. Raen Andaleio

First Language:
    German
    Sorry about the wrong thread.

Sadly your script doesn't seem to do anything. I copy-pasted it into a new script under Materials, like it's usually recommended for custom scripts. However, the color of the battle messages doesn't change. Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Did you do this?

Did you put it BELOW any other scripts you imported?

Do you have any other battle scripts that you imported?

5. Raen Andaleio

First Language:
    German
    15 is the right number, that's where my white is. I did try different numbers to see if that changes the color, but nothing.

It is currently below all other imported scripts.

The only other battle script I use is RBS ADD-ON (Battleback Manager), but that doesn't modify the battle interface. It just allows me to give each region on a map a different battle background. I also have a script that allows me to change the opacity of the interface panels, but it doesn't seem to have any methods that manipulate the text.

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah, I made a typo.

It's Window_BattleLog (capital L), not Window_Battlelog.

Try this:

Code:
    class Window_BattleLog < Window_Selectable  def reset_font_settings    super    change_color(text_color(15))  endend

7. Raen Andaleio

First Language:
    German
    Aaah, yes, now it's working.

Meanwhile I found out that back_opacity holds the value controlling the opacity of the battle message text's background. So changing that works, too.

Thanks a lot for your help, Shaz!

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.