Changing event image?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm trying to make a jumpscare where a chair changes direction to face the player after they walk away from it. Anyone know how to do this? I'm in mv

I should mention it's a part of the tileset, lol

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I'm assuming you're not using the RPG Creator App, but instead the RPG Maker MV engine?

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

LVGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes this can be done but the way I would do it is go into the tileset open it with a image editor crop out the chair you want and turn it into a character for the character files in MV project folder.

After this point I then turn this chair into an event selecting the image from the new chair character you have made. From there you can do anything you want with this chair in the events.

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can use a tileset image (from the B-E sheets, which a chair would be) as an event image - no need to make it into a character sheet.

But you WILL need to use an event rather than just drawing the chair on the map in the editor.

And how you do it will depend on what it is that triggers the action, and how long it's got to stay that way for afterwards. Does this only happen after the player sits in or interacts with the chair? After it changes direction, is it going to change back again to its original direction, or will it stay facing the player?

LVGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz Are you able to rotate tileset images in the events? They wanted it to turn to face the character that's the reason why I would turn it into a character. I didnt know you can rotate tileset images thanks for that tip.

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@LVGames no you can't rotate images in a tileset, but changing them to character sheets won't make that happen either. Both methods require that there are different versions of the sprite, viewed from different angles (you can't view 2D images from different directions by rotating them, like you can with 3D images).

Your method would require 4 different sprites, one on each row of a character sheet, and you would use the "turn toward player" command of a move route.

My method would require 4 different sprites, all in the tile sheet, and would use the "change image" command of a move route, with conditions to determine which tile to change to, depending on the player's location.

LVGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz Yes that was what I meant when I said to turn it into a character. I would normally quickly do a rotate in the editor to rotate 90 degrees for the down then flip vertical for the top. Then horizontal flip of course.
Each one works I. I normally like working with characters I will try the tileset one some time.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@LVGames are you sure about that? If you get an upright chair from the tileset, and you rotate it 90 degrees, or flip it vertically, you are going to get a chair that's lying on its side, or one that's upside down.

IF the tileset had the chair facing all 4 directions, you could put one on each row of a character sprite, but there would be no rotating/flipping involved. That would be more work up-front, but less mucking around to get it to turn in the player's direction.

LVGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shaz Your right that wouldnt work only for flip horizontal my mistake. If you have a chair with all 4 directions then it would be best to make it into a full character or the way you describe.
1585286483474.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's weird I actually have MORE work to do when stuck at home than before.
The No Travel Game Jam is here! Jump in to make a game in the month of April that takes place all in one town!

Decided to take a stab at video editing.... Even made a clickbait screen. I'm so proud of my sellout ways. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flane