Changing Fonts Causes RPG Maker MV To Fail To Load?

Authumbla

Listen To My Soundcloud Fam?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
(Placing this here because I'm assuming this is an issue common to all RPG Maker builds, although on further reflection this probably isn't the right place for it)

I'm trying to change the font my game uses to Futura (Light), and while I have it installed on my system and the font inside my "Fonts" folder, when I set my gamefont.css file to:

@font-face {
font-family: GameFont;
src: url("Futura (Light).ttf");
}

the game fails to load. Oddly enough, if I change the file back to:

@font-face {
font-family: GameFont;
src: url("mplus-1m-regular.ttf");
}

the game also fails to load, but if I create a new project and replace the old "Fonts" folder with the "Fonts" folder from that project, the game loads properly.

Has this problem occurred for anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eilwyn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi,

I had this problem tonight.  

What worked for me was, testing my game, waiting for the words "Now Loading", then closing my game and RPG Maker completely, re-opening RPG Maker and then re-testing my game and it would suddenly work, even with the new font.

I was using the same RPG Maker in this instance.  So I hope this solution works for you.  Sorry if it doesn't or if you have already tried it.

Sorry if this doesn't help.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Changing something like that affects your game, but not the editor/engine, so I'd be surprised if that's what caused MV itself to not load (and this would only affect MV, as fonts are handled differently in the other engines).

I wonder if it's something about the name of the font (spaces, brackets) - is that the actual file name or the font name?

Authumbla

Listen To My Soundcloud Fam?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Changing something like that affects your game, but not the editor/engine, so I'd be surprised if that's what caused MV itself to not load (and this would only affect MV, as fonts are handled differently in the other engines).

I wonder if it's something about the name of the font (spaces, brackets) - is that the actual file name or the font name?
I misspoke - it affected the game but not MV itself.

In any case, it randomly began working, so it appears this will continue to be a mystery...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Authumbla not really - I think I know what causes this from the very line of the font.

url("Futura (Light).ttf")

The difference is obvious when compared to the working line: your font filename contains letters that are illegal in an networking environment, and RMMV needs a networking environment for being able to deploy to different systems and mobiles.

spaces, non-latin letters, special signs and so on are absolutely forbidden under networking rules, but Windows allows you to place them in filenames and they will work as long as you're using windows functions to access those files - they fail as soon as you're trying to use non-windows-routines, which are what the editor and the games are based on with RMMV.

The working original font file had those spaces and () replaced by - which is one of the few allowed special signs in networking paths. Do the same with your font filenames, and they will work. This includes and counts for all files inside the project - as long as the editor tries to load any file whose name does not conform to networking rules, it will fail - no matter if font, audio, picture. That's why you had to delete the illegal filename from the project directory for it to work again.

I've moved this thread to MV support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

As told, this is for getting the editors to run - and this specific problem is unique to MV as all other makers are Windows-Only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone know/remember Mummy's Tomb / Crystals of Zong for C64? Trying to recreate it for One Map Challenge. Fun. And ... er ... challenging!

Listen.. I er... caught the live stream. :LZSwink:
The MZ first look stream was quite good. Looks like we get a lot of generator parts right off the bat this time around. Lots of cool clothes, helmets, facial marks, etc. Looking forward to playing around with it. :)
Any tips on how to share resources in here? Should I upload them in a image hosting site or Google Drive?
That moment when you realize your game size without the sound is 51.1 MB.... But with it (unoptimized as it is) it's 156 MB.... I guess it's time to do a bit of sound optimizing. :kaoswt: Also I learned that deployed for Windows it's 308MB... Apparently MV adds a pretty hefty helping of stuff on deployment. :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
baekyam3