Changing Fonts Causes RPG Maker MV To Fail To Load?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Authumbla, Aug 1, 2016.

  1. Authumbla

    Authumbla Listen To My Soundcloud Fam? Veteran

    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    24
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    (Placing this here because I'm assuming this is an issue common to all RPG Maker builds, although on further reflection this probably isn't the right place for it)


    I'm trying to change the font my game uses to Futura (Light), and while I have it installed on my system and the font inside my "Fonts" folder, when I set my gamefont.css file to:


    @font-face {
    font-family: GameFont;
    src: url("Futura (Light).ttf");
    }


    the game fails to load. Oddly enough, if I change the file back to:


    @font-face {
    font-family: GameFont;
    src: url("mplus-1m-regular.ttf");
    }


    the game also fails to load, but if I create a new project and replace the old "Fonts" folder with the "Fonts" folder from that project, the game loads properly.


    Has this problem occurred for anyone else?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016
    #1
  2. Eilwyn

    Eilwyn Veteran Veteran

    Messages:
    182
    Likes Received:
    35
    Location:
    Ontario
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi,

    I had this problem tonight.  

    What worked for me was, testing my game, waiting for the words "Now Loading", then closing my game and RPG Maker completely, re-opening RPG Maker and then re-testing my game and it would suddenly work, even with the new font.

    I was using the same RPG Maker in this instance.  So I hope this solution works for you.  Sorry if it doesn't or if you have already tried it.

    Sorry if this doesn't help.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016
    #2
  3. Shaz

    Shaz Veteran Veteran

    Messages:
    37,793
    Likes Received:
    11,502
    Location:
    Australia
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Changing something like that affects your game, but not the editor/engine, so I'd be surprised if that's what caused MV itself to not load (and this would only affect MV, as fonts are handled differently in the other engines).


    I wonder if it's something about the name of the font (spaces, brackets) - is that the actual file name or the font name?
     
    #3
  4. Authumbla

    Authumbla Listen To My Soundcloud Fam? Veteran

    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    24
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I misspoke - it affected the game but not MV itself.


    In any case, it randomly began working, so it appears this will continue to be a mystery...
     
    #4
  5. Andar

    Andar Veteran Veteran

    Messages:
    28,606
    Likes Received:
    6,568
    Location:
    Germany
    First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Authumbla not really - I think I know what causes this from the very line of the font.


    url("Futura (Light).ttf")


    The difference is obvious when compared to the working line: your font filename contains letters that are illegal in an networking environment, and RMMV needs a networking environment for being able to deploy to different systems and mobiles.


    spaces, non-latin letters, special signs and so on are absolutely forbidden under networking rules, but Windows allows you to place them in filenames and they will work as long as you're using windows functions to access those files - they fail as soon as you're trying to use non-windows-routines, which are what the editor and the games are based on with RMMV.


    The working original font file had those spaces and () replaced by - which is one of the few allowed special signs in networking paths. Do the same with your font filenames, and they will work. This includes and counts for all files inside the project - as long as the editor tries to load any file whose name does not conform to networking rules, it will fail - no matter if font, audio, picture. That's why you had to delete the illegal filename from the project directory for it to work again.


    I've moved this thread to MV support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.


    As told, this is for getting the editors to run - and this specific problem is unique to MV as all other makers are Windows-Only.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2016
    #5
  6. Sketchward

    Sketchward Veteran Veteran

    Messages:
    57
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Canada
    First Language:
    English
    #6

Share This Page