Changing inflicted state on a skill, based on weapon element?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by ErinTheKnight, Jul 15, 2019.

1. ErinTheKnight

ErinTheKnight Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello!

Im making a Elemental Gauntlet type weapon that grants the skill "Gauntlet Blast". I'm trying to get it so that this one skill inflicts different states based on the weapons element. For example...

My Fire Gauntlet when casting "Gauntlet Blast" has a 30% chance to "Burn"
    But my Ice Gauntlet using "Gauntlet Blast" has a 30% to Freeze.

Is this something that can be done raw? Or do I need a plugin?

Thank you in advance for all the help!

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    If the skill is given by the weapons, just make 2 Gauntlet Blast skills.. One for the Fire, one for the Ice.

Else you can either also do this via common events that the skill runs, or using the damage formula to add the state after checking the element of the weapon.

3. ErinTheKnight

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I figured out how to add the state with the formula, but how can I check the element with it?

4. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There is a way to check the element using code in the formula (instead of needing plugins), but I agree with @Engr. Adiktuzmiko that you're probably making things harder on yourself than you need to.

Why not make two or more different skills that are each called "Gauntlet Blast", with a different element and a different (or even the same) animation? And have the State for that element be inflicted using the Features Box. That way, you could have each type of Gauntlet add the appropriate-element Gauntlet Blast skill while it's equipped (for example, Fire Gauntlet would add the version of Gauntlet Blast that deals Fire Damage and has a 30% chance to inflict Burn).

5. ErinTheKnight

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Fair enough. Thank you both! Its late, and I'm over thinking haha!

EDIT: Tried that, and now I have two copies of the Gauntlet Blast skill. They share the same name, but difrent ID's, and the BOTH show up when one item is equiped.

TLRD Fire gauntlet can use the ice skill. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Make the fire gauntlet add the fire blast only, and the ice gauntlet add the ice blast only.. Do it via their feature box so that they only add it when equipped. Make sure that the actor or its class doesnt have the blast in their skill list.

If thats what you did and it gives both, please post a screenshot of your equipment data.

7. ErinTheKnight

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Turns out there was a default skill that shared the id of the ice blast.....on the learned skills list. Thank you all for your help, im going to go cope with how much of a fool I am haha!

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  8. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I see... I always remove all default skills from actor/classes first