Changing map events via terrain tag variables and Shift Mapping

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV School' started by dragoonwys, Oct 2, 2017.

1. dragoonwys

dragoonwys Freelance Illustrator Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is no template to format this thread but I'll try my best to list out what I have done on the base project for easy identification :kaomad2:If there is any changes or improvements that could be made, feel free to point it out.

I'm not sure how lessons are started considering students are free roaming right after orientation, so I placed 'Harold' out side of a classroom that starts the lesson if entered for quick access. Also Therese/green hair knight is a stand in for any other student that might be in the game since don't know who else is added that fit the art class setting.

(Reupdated: 6/10/17
    Fixed some typo and added name boxes to the other students)
    Download

Lesson desc:

This is a small lesson that belongs in a mapping category side of classes. It mainly shows how variables can be used as a condition to trigger events to change event pages thus transform on the map and how those variables can be connected to the tilesets via Terrain tag. The 2nd half is a short section that explains Shift mapping technique and lets the player leave any time.

I think event wise, having it put after any more down to basics mapping tutorials such as how to put an event on the map if there is any available sounds about right.

Image file naming:
    The images marked as DW1 are mine.

Additional 1 common event or switch:
    1 Common event: This is used for the Virtual Reality remote item below it lets the players switch the map's tileset for story reasons and unsaid example of what happens when you just randomly switch tilesets without planing them out beforehand, it's an item used from inventory, useable in the final area.

Item addition:

Virtual reality remote: It's used in the lesson for the reason above. Removed when player finishes the lesson.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    CaptainRadish and Poryg like this.
  2. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll check this one out this weekend, thanks!

dragoonwys likes this.
  3. Rhino

Rhino Champion Snoozer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really like the virtual reality idea, and the fourth wall breaking games within games. I also never knew there was a change tileset command, oops... I feel like I should be enrolling as a student in this school too :rswt

I did notice two typos, one at the the very start of VR World 1 - 'yeap', and in the shift-click mapping T.U.T.O.R event, 'which is why this mapping technique exist.' should be 'exists.'

I think we were also supposed to be using Yanfly's Message Core to create name boxes to make it easier for the player to identify all of the community characters.

Otherwise, I think this is neat, you packed a lot of story into a short lesson! I think we need to have an auditorium so we can watch the play ;)

dragoonwys likes this.
  4. dragoonwys

dragoonwys Freelance Illustrator Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I should also be enrolling as a student in this school too, I'm sure there are variable/switch usages that I am completely oblivious to. @u@

Thank you for the feedback! I'll fix those two typos, didn't realize they were there when I was typing them in.
    And ah I see, I knew about using Yanfly's plugin but didn't thought that it was needed in the submission project, I'll drop that in as well. ;u;

That would be amusing, the play probably has super high production value considering the number of props but have the corniest of writing. :guffaw:

Rhino likes this.
  5. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Change tileset is a really useful command, it is actually how I plan to do the RegionID viewing in the game for one of my tutorials.

You can also use it to create a bridge you can both walk under and over. By switching the tileset somewhere between the two sections with two tilesets that are visibly identical, but with different passability.

dragoonwys and Rhino like this.
  6. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What can I say to this lesson :D I'm only sad that I immediately chose the fourth option, because I couldn't see what were the previous ones afterwards :( :D
    Nevertheless a good lesson :) I also learned a little :# (since I don't use this feature :D)

dragoonwys likes this.