Changing Plugin Names - Organization

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Authumbla, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Authumbla

Authumbla Listen To My Soundcloud Fam? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm using a lot of Yanfly's plugins in my game, and from my understanding I need to install each of them in order so there's as little chance of wonky interactions between plugins as possible. I originally tried putting a number in front of each plugin's name so that I could organize them more effectively, but this caused the plugins to fail to load.

How would I go about changing the names of plugins within the plugins so that I can more effectively organize them in RPG Maker's plugin manager?

2. Ossra

Ossra Formerly Exhydra Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You should be able to click, hold, and drag the plugins within the Plugin Manager. So you can do that to put the plugins in order.

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You don't change the names.  Plugins with parameters MUST have the correct name, as the name is what's used to look up the parameters in the script.  If you change the name, it will behave as if you don't even have the plugin active - as you've discovered.

4. Alistair

Alistair Treasure Hunter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The only way of really organizing the list is with empty dummy plugins. Like "-----------Core Plugins-------------" or something like that. Direct changes to the plugins' names will cause trouble, as Shaz already said.

5. Victor Sant

Victor Sant Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    You can't change the plugin's name unless it was designed to allow that.

Not actually a "must" since there are several ways around that, it depends interely on the plugin developer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016
  6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is the user changing the name, not the plugin developer changing the name or allowing ways around it, and the YEP plugins don't provide for that.

Yes, you CAN change the names, if you know what you're doing.  But it's out of the realm of the majority of MV users, and not something that most people would encourage, especially when there are other easier/better ways of doing what the OP is trying to do.

7. Victor Sant

First Language:
    Portuguese
    The name of the plugin on my plugins doesn't matter even for plugins that has plugin parameter. if I'm not mistaken iavra make a small snippet that allows you to make so the plugin capture the plugins parameters no matter wich is the plugin filename. 

Like I said it depends on the developer. Yanfly didn't add anything to allow that, but others have. So it not a 'must', it will depend on the plugin developer.

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's you, not every single plugin developer.  And yes, that plugin exists, but how many plugin developers use it?  What an experienced scripter can do, or what someone can do when they have just the right scripts, is quite different to what every Tom, Dick or Harry can do or should be told to do, in the context of the OP above.  

Stop being so pedantic about my wording and look at the context of the question.  Everything you're saying is of no help to the OP whatsoever.  For the majority of people who have no scripting knowledge and who are not using your plugins or Lavra's plugin, they MUST use the intended plugin names.

9. Victor Sant

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Not just me. Anyway, if you can change it means that it not a must.

And like i said, it's not 'using iavra plugin', it's the plugin developer that do that, not the user.

The lack of care people have here with their wording is what can cause issues.

Well whatever, people here love to give half truths, and that is why we have so many misunderstanding around here on various subjects.

Because all those 'musts' that aren't 'must' and all 'maybe' that are actually 'musts'.

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Then why aren't you in all those threads correcting everyone?  Why are you just reserving your special treatment for me today?  Got up on the wrong side of bed and feel you need to take it out on someone?  Lucky me.

If you have other advice for the OP different to what's already been provided, feel free to give it. Otherwise, stop being a tool.  Not all of us are as perfect as you are.

11. 4njar

4njar Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I am going to add a question to the OP's question. I am having issues organizing plugins as well but while watching tutorials on youtube I have heard some of the Youtubers say that it helps to have the plugins installed in an order. Like Gameplay plugins first and then the cores with their addons following. But other than that slight mention they never go into detail in the videos that I have seen on what would be a good order. An example is Yanfly's Plugins. On the website the categories of plugins go in:

Core Plugins

Battle Plugins

Item Plugins

Skill Plugins

Equip Plugins

Status Menu Plugins

Game-play Plugins

Utility Plugins

Misc Plugins

Is this an acceptable organization or is there a different order to these categories? I get that the plugins under the categories stay together and examples like Battle Core and its sub plugins all stay in their order but does the order of the Categories matter? Thanks.

12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Some plugins require other plugins to be present.  Yanfly specifically states if certain plugins have to go below/above others.  It all depends on which ones you're using and how they were written.

You should not hijack someone else's thread with your own questions.  Start your own thread.