Changing Starter Volume

Heindal

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want to reset the starter volume of the music and sound for my game.
So far I tried to reset these in rpg_managers.js:

AudioManager._masterVolume = 0.5; // (min: 0, max: 1)
AudioManager._bgmVolume = 50;
AudioManager._bgsVolume = 50;
AudioManager._meVolume = 50;
AudioManager._seVolume = 50;

However it seems to have no effect. It seems the only place, where the Volume is defined. Is it possible to reset the starting volume? I've so far used a workaround to manually change the sound / music effect in the database individually, but that's error-prone on a long perspective! Would be grateful for help. Thanks.

dbchest

Beast Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
take a moment to think where you have the ability to manually change the volume levels in the game. from the options menu, right? the behavior of the options menu is defined within rpg_scenes, Scene_Options. this is a great place to begin your search. the real magic takes places within Windows_Options however, found in rpg_windows. i recommend taking a look in there! good luck! let me know if you can't find the answer and i'll give you more clues. ;)

Alhandra

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're not interested in banging around with the Socratic Method presented above, I did the work so you don't have to. Because 100% volume hurts. I've been trying to fix this since I started playing with the software.

Spoiler under the cut.

As far as I can tell, the volume is undefined when you load the game. Adjusting the return value for when the volume is undefined should do the trick. I set it to a much lower 40.

bhindi1224

NOT Indian Okra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I swear I recently saw a plugin that set the volumes to whatever you wanted when the game started. The plugin wasn't specifically for that, it was just an option within it. I'll try and find it.

Heindal

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you, this will help me and hopefully others with the same problem (and my hopefully not yet deaf players). I admit at the moment I want to concentrate in making the game and game graphics. So reading through source code in my free time can be fun, if you designed the game entirely yourself. But it's no fun getting into the logic of others and this can be very time consuming. E.g. it's not logical to handle options in a file called "rpg_scenes". Maybe later, it's still my first month with RPG Maker.

bhindi1224

NOT Indian Okra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm still trying to figure out the plugin I'm thinking of, but I thought I'd mention you could use this plugin to set the volume through a master volume slider that is configurable with a default.

Edit: I'm giving up the search. I never found exactly what I was thinking of, and every plugin that relates to sound seems to involve a few things with an array that I don't understand anyway with javascript.

Last edited:

dbchest

Beast Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime. your choice, friend.

Heindal

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@dbchest: I understand your humanist concept dbchest and usually I would go and try myself (maybe I would have been successful wasting hours of spare time after 50 hours of job). Usually if I can provide a solution I prefer the method of Alhandra.

I'm still happy you answered to the thread dbchest. I'd like to add - you didn't teach me to fish, you said where the best spot is to find fish, but never explained how to sail nor to work the boat. The solution is in no way logical, except you browsed the code a lot. Based on Alhandra I now know where to look exactly and will remember it. In some situations an answer like yours, is like waving a fish in front of a hungry man. Anyway, thanks man.

@bhindi1224 thank you for your time :).

Last edited:

dbchest

Beast Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Heindal to each their own; in the event that you did look over the core programming, i am confident you would have found the solution within 3 minutes or such, just as i did. regardless, i have no doubt that your time is extremely valuable after a 50hr work week...

i would like to add: i wasn't trying to teach you directly, nor was i providing an immediate solution; i was trying to help you teach yourself. i am not an advocate for hand-feeding people solutions, because very little knowledge is obtained that way, and a foundational understanding of how the things are functioning behind the scenes is critical to developing a quality game, in my opinion, and so i would suggest that you keep an open mind to future opportunities to learn more information about the core programming; you may find yourself surprised when the odds and ends start coming together to form a clear picture.

in the meantime, i will avoid your threads. take it easy, guy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I really need to stop thinking there are new freebies just because someone made a new post in the freebies subforum lol.
AND just like that..... I got STEAM DLC up and working! YES!
Game making is like a marathon, except the last 1/4 is more like sprint... a very long and intense sprint.
Finally got to finish the demo for my project!
Another week has gone by. Maybe you made changes to your project/s. Maybe you didn't. Nonetheless, THAT IS NO EXCUSE TO NOT BACK THEM UP O_O!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paitshens