Changing term names/skill names/ language in the middle of a boss fight

goldrat1

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm trying to make a boss fight at the moment, and I had the idea that once you get 50% the way into the fight or something, for a few turns all skill names, item names, etc. get translated into Japanese (e.g 'Attack' becomes '攻撃'), so the player is forced to try and remember where their buttons, items and skills are (assuming they can't read Japanese, ofc). Is there any way to do this with plugins or scripting? I'm an absolute know-nothing about scripting so any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks!

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see this kind of plugin before... but forget where
maybe you try google around
other way is use script call I think
but I don't know what is
sorry for not that useful information

goldrat1

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see this kind of plugin before... but forget where
maybe you try google around
other way is use script call I think
I haven't a clue how to use script calls. Any idea what the name of that plugin was? I haven't found anything that can do this sort of thing yet.

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't a clue how to use script calls. Any idea what the name of that plugin was? I haven't found anything that can do this sort of thing yet.
sorry...
I dig every plugin west to east(japan)
I mean I open all of them that I found
so... it like a thousand
then the one I'm not planing to use is slip of my mind
it maybe a japanese one
in that case... hope some other here can help you T_T
---------
edit
and he even have a demo or video about it I think
something like harold walk in the desert and dehydrated
so his mind f** up...
and all the comand change to other language that he can't under stand

Last edited:

goldrat1

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Anyone else have any ideas where to find this demo, or how to do this?

izyees

My Secret Santa
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
This can easily be done by replacing the data ingame, by using the $dataSkills or $dataItems array.
But note that, this will cause all the data you change to be permanent until you change it back to its original name. As what I test, the "Attack", "Guard" command cannot be override since it returns the string from another source.
If you cannot find the plugin, you can request for one.
But if you want to do it by yourself, here is the tutorial on how to do so:

In the troop tab, set the condition on battle event, eg Boss Hp is Less than 50%
Make a script call
JavaScript:
$dataSkills[10].name = "Kilat!";
This code will change the name of the 10th skill in the Game Data to your new assign name which is "Kilat!"

For items, use $gameItems instead.

Dont forgot to set back the name of your skill to its original name when the battle end.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[MOVE]JS Plugin Requests[/MOVE]

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
But note that, this will cause all the data you change to be permanent until you change it back to its original name.
It's not exactly permanent, while true it persists, it isn't saved in the save contents. In another word, if you reboot the game, it will reset back.

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can try Iavra_Localization plugin. He does exacly what you want and much more :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been thinking about this ever since I moved the thread. Just to be clear, I am writing in a personal capacity, as a potential player.

I think you will need to get this idea extensively playtested by a variety of people and listen attentively to their feedback. It could well be that having got 50% through what I assume is a challenging boss fight, if they were faced with this they could possibly rage quit and uninstall. I know that if I got a game over because I couldn't find a necessary restoring item or mistakenly chose a useless skill, I would want to fry you. Why should it suddenly turn into a memory test? Now maybe I am not your intended audience (though I do play a lot of RM games), so you would have to be accurate at pitching the whole game to your intended niche. Just something to keep in mind maybe.

goldrat1

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been thinking about this ever since I moved the thread. Just to be clear, I am writing in a personal capacity, as a potential player.

I think you will need to get this idea extensively playtested by a variety of people and listen attentively to their feedback. It could well be that having got 50% through what I assume is a challenging boss fight, if they were faced with this they could possibly rage quit and uninstall. I know that if I got a game over because I couldn't find a necessary restoring item or mistakenly chose a useless skill, I would want to fry you. Why should it suddenly turn into a memory test? Now maybe I am not your intended audience (though I do play a lot of RM games), so you would have to be accurate at pitching the whole game to your intended niche. Just something to keep in mind maybe.
Thanks for the feedback. This boss fight'll be near the end of the game and the idea is this boss is the 'programmer' of the world the player is in, so the fight will keep changing music and sprites to reflect the changing nature of the world (hard to explain). The language change'd only be for a few turns so it hopefully won't be world-ending for them, plus the icons of the attacks and items would still be present so if they needed a clue on what they were doing.
I'm making the game primarily for a friend group and probably won't be releasing it to the public anyway, but thank you for your concern! I'll be sure to get people to playtest the boss fight to make sure the fight isn't too hard.

This can easily be done by replacing the data ingame, by using the $dataSkills or $dataItems array.
But note that, this will cause all the data you change to be permanent until you change it back to its original name. As what I test, the "Attack", "Guard" command cannot be override since it returns the string from another source.
If you cannot find the plugin, you can request for one.
But if you want to do it by yourself, here is the tutorial on how to do so:

In the troop tab, set the condition on battle event, eg Boss Hp is Less than 50%
Make a script call
JavaScript:
$dataSkills[10].name = "Kilat!";
This code will change the name of the 10th skill in the Game Data to your new assign name which is "Kilat!"

For items, use $gameItems instead.

Dont forgot to set back the name of your skill to its original name when the battle end.
Thank you so much! I'll test this out right away!
I hope this helped some other people who were looking to do similar things with their RPGs, just make sure you don't overdo it, i s'ppose...

goldrat1

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Excellent, it works perfectly! Thanks again to izyees!
For those who want to do this in future, get a Script block and use:
$dataSkills[87].name = "Hello World";
This changes the name of the 87th skill to 'Hello World'
For descriptions, use:
$dataSkills[87].description = "This is a description!";
This changes the description for the 87th skill to 'This is a description'.
For items, just change the 'dataSkills' to 'gameItems'. This might work with Enemies and States as well, I haven't checked, I'd have to test it out more.
Problem solved, thanks everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Please do not buy games from g2a.com. The sellers have total power over you. The website has many scam sellers. It looks cheap, but the key code didn't work.
A while back I was having fun making my own custom tiles, then I hit carpet... why is it so difficult!? Lol.
Weekend is finally here... what would you like to see (?):
1) Pokemon into zelda minish-cap style
or
2) Pokemon into zelda gbc style
or
3) Zelda into pokemon style

#= Choose ===============#
||__[ Full mockup ]_[ Charset ]__||
#=======================#
I know someday I'll start working on this...

I'm so happy that I got Steam achievements to work in my game, thanks in large part to the posts by other RPG Maker devs on this issue!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annygma