Changing the game's icon with Resource Hack.

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Mr. Detective, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi guys,

Have anyone tried changing the game's icon using Resource Hack? I used it, but the new icon is so small compared to the original one. I have seen other games with custom icons with the same size as the original.

So, how do I make it bigger? What did I do wrong?

[​IMG]

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    if your new icon is too small, then the picture you used as an icen is too small - make a bigger icon with an image program.

ShinGamix likes this.
  3. Mr. Detective

First Language:
    English
    The picture I used is pretty big, around close to 1000 pixels in width/height. I used an online website to convert it into the icon, regardless of which size I chose, 32x32 or 96x96, the result is still the same.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A proper icon file will have several icons in it of different sizes. Which icon is shown will then depend on the operating system and where the icon is appearing (on the desktop, on the taskbar, in the application window ...)

I'm not at my computer, so I can't check to see which program I use. I have at least TRIED one called Icon Creator. Have a look around. You might need to resize your images for each one, but the program will let you specify what sizes you want to provide and will build the .ico file for you, once you give it the image(s).

I've moved this thread to Program and Utility Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
  5. iNSANiTY

iNSANiTY Embracing The Darkness Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey,

I don't mean to drive this off topic or anything, but I figure it was worth mentioning. I remember reading about this somewhere on the forums before... I read that editing the icon was against the TOS.  Is that true?

As for you Mr. Detective, have you tried using PE Explorer? It's a pretty nice EXE Editor.

Now for creating the actual icon, I would give "x icon editor" a chance. It's just a website for creating icons, you can import your image and edit it all in one go, then export it when your done. I used it to create favicon images for several site development projects.

May be of some use.  BD

EDIT: If that site renders the same result, try using GIMP or Paint .NET to shrink the image to around 100x100 and then try it. I really wish they had a built in feature for editing the game icon, would make commercial projects much prettier! haha

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
  6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, it is true that changing the exe file is against the TOS.

The official response from Enterbrain when asked how to change the exe icon, is to create a shortcut to the exe, and change the icon on the shortcut. But should you choose to change the icon in the exe directly instead, they are not going to jump up and down about it. They understand that this is a simple and harmless change.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  7. Mr. Detective

First Language:
    English
    I tried the websites and programs that you two mentioned. The result isn't different in anyway, but I chose another picture that would be easier to see as an icon.

I guess that's the best I can do, for now.

8. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    try IcoFX

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  9. iNSANiTY

First Language:
    English
    Could you possibly send me the icon?

I could try editing the size or converting it through a colored vector and see if I can get it working.

10. Mr. Detective

First Language:
    English
  11. iNSANiTY

First Language:
    English
    I hope that one works out for you then. :p

I am going to try messing with custom EXE icons later, see what I can come up with myself. 

12. Mr. Detective

First Language:
    English
    OK... I got a big major problem here. I was changing to the new icon, and I noticed that after I replaced the resource, the program doesn't display the icon like it should. When I tried to playtest the game, it gives me a message saying "Failed to create process". :o   So basically, the game can no longer run, but I can still access the editor.

What's going on with this? Is there a quick fix? ;_;

Update: The "Game.exe" file in my project folder doesn't have any icon at all. I have read that this could be fixed if I copy another "Game.exe" file into my current project folder and replace it. But would this also replace all the progress I have made in the editor? :headshake:

Update 2: I replaced the file and it worked. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2014
  13. iNSANiTY

First Language:
    English
    Mr. Detective,

I am happy to hear you got everything back working. Keep in mind it's always best to backup the resource before editing. This is to avoid getting stuck with a corrupted resource.

If you experience this issue again, please post the exact steps you took so that myself and others can try to replicate it in order to help you best.

14. OM3GA-Z3RO

OM3GA-Z3RO Wounded Seraphim Veteran

Dumb question

Isn't changing the game Icon a breach of T and C?

15. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Quote from Shaz: 

So, it does breach the EULA, but is tolerated in this instance.

16. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    @Mr D. = the game.exe file is just a generic RGSS3 player, so copy pasting the same file from other projects won't do any harm. :)

17. OM3GA-Z3RO

OM3GA-Z3RO Wounded Seraphim Veteran

Wait so it's not okay to do this but it is okay to do it at the same time? (Haven't slept in 3 days so I am struggling to grasp the concept)

18. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    If we go by strictly law abiding, then yes it's not allowed.

If we go by will you get huge problems, EB seems to not really make a huge deal out of it.

19. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is something they will tolerate because it's a minor thing, and it's not really changing the functionality of the exe.

Anyway ...

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.