Changing XP tilesets to fit VX Ace

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by King Bowser, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Bowser

King Bowser Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi,

I've found some tilesets I'd like to use for a game, but unfortunately they're made for RPG Maker XP when I use VX Ace. When I try to put them in my game, they get all scrambled up. Is there a way I can re-format them so they work in RPG Maker VX Ace?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2016
  2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It depends on what sort of tiles they are. The autotiles are pretty tricky, as they are a completely different format in each engine. Any other tiles, however, would just need to be copied and pasted into the proper format for Ace sheets B-E (which are 512 x 512).

Also, depending on the tiles, you may need to own both XP and Ace to use the tiles.

3. King Bowser

King Bowser Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Here is a before and after of my tileset:

Do I simply need to resize it so it would work with my version?

Screenshot 2016-08-07 20.10.53.png

Screenshot 2016-08-07 20.10.35.png

4. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No. Ace tilesheets B-E are 512 X 512. You need to use an editing program and make a new image that size. You will then have to copy and paste these tiles into that sheet.

I recommend Gimp for a free program, you can set the grid on both to 32 X 32 and use the snap to grid feature for better control of copy/paste.

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    first, you need to understand that there are six different formats for tilesheets in Ace. And you can't place those tiles in A2 (which is mostly for autotiles).

then you need to cut the XP tilesheet to fit into the format for B-E-Tiles (which is the 512x512 pixels of 16x16 tiles that mlogan mentioned above) and then use it in one of the slots from B-E (which always go into the upper layer, you can't use basic ground tiles there).

6. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    We do not encourage or support the use of rips on this site, and that means we will not be helping you format rips to work in Ace. I'm closing this, but if you find a new, legal to use tileset that you need help formatting, please feel free to post a new thread in Resource Support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.