Character/Actor Name Change

GreyWolfVino

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey fellow game makers, so I decided to have the player decide the name of the main character of my game but the character does have a default name in “Ace”. I want to do a Final Fantasy VII type of name change. In the beginning of the game, Cloud’s name is known as “Ex-Soldier” but immediately after the player is allowed to name Cloud with “Cloud” being the default name. How would I go about doing that? I’m currently using Yanfly’s Key Name Input. Thank you so much in advance

Silva

Scoobityboo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As far as I'm aware the name input processing prepopulates with the actor's current name so just use the change name event command to set "Ex-Soldier"'s name to "Cloud" before starting the name input processing.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you need to use the tab change actor name "Harold" followed by name input I think so they
can type the name they like.

There are other methodes as well but I cant think of it at this point.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
True...
Change the actor name directly just before name input processing command.
1582141307024.png

1582141355883.png

GreyWolfVino

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As far as I'm aware the name input processing prepopulates with the actor's current name so just use the change name event command to set "Ex-Soldier"'s name to "Cloud" before starting the name input processing.
Thank you so much!! I tried your advice and it worked wonderfully. I have a follow up though, how do I have the game say the main character’s name now that it is dependent on the player?

True...
Change the actor name directly just before name input processing command.
View attachment 134677

View attachment 134678
The screenshot was exceptionally helpful, thank you so much. I know I may be asking a dumb question but how do I get the game to say the main character’s name now that it’s dependent on the player. Like how would I include the character’s name in dialogue?

you need to use the tab change actor name "Harold" followed by name input I think so they
can type the name they like.

There are other methodes as well but I cant think of it at this point.
Thank you so much ShadowDragon! You wouldn’t happen to also know how to have the game dialogue address the character now that he doesn’t have a set name?

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is too basic...
You write a code in the dialogue to refer it to the character. In this case, it's \N[actorID].
1582191174418.png
1582191308518.png

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
main character without changing it is used by Name you want,
like Kuro DCup say, most ppls use \N[x] to get the actors name (x = ID from database)
if Harold = database 1, you write \N[1] or \n[1] depends what you want (lowercase or uppercase)

you can lean those by hove in the text box for the basic functions, if you want to extend those functions
you need YEP_MessegeCore that has more info and a name box, combined it with SRD_Namebox
and whenever you use a face and or face index, you dont need \n[x] while it will be automatically draw
the name from its param.

if you are to new, do the inbuilt tutorial to know all the basics to get started.
check things around and learn the system, try things if it helps or not, when your stuck, we are
happy to help :)

There are also alot of tutorial on youtube to find for many things and how to build a game, mapping,
text editors, plugin use etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I got tired of not having an avatar image. Couldn't think of anything cool. So I'm just using my game's antagonist instead... How original. At least both of our names start with C?
Expectation: Design/dev a game for the game jam | Reality: "These codes suck, why did I do it this way? lemme fix this. Also what if I add feature xyz because... well, I can."
Did my first script call in an event! :kaopride: It's completely useless and just because I thought it'd be cute if looking at clocks in-game made the character say the real-world time, but it's fully functional scripting and I did it all by myself!
Stream will be going live shortly! I will be playing Resident Evil 3 Remake, and then I will be switching to a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Spent all day working on something that ultimately has nothing "flashy" to show at the end of it. But that sense of achievement...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartelStef