The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hai! This is probably an ODD request.

After drawing the first four busts of characters that appear in my game, I did their line-art and solid colors on the computer. Unfortunately, without much guidance or even tutorial help, I can't shade/highlight them myself.

So I likely need help, and these are my ideas for getting that.

1. Have someone shade/highlight the busts for me. I can produce .sai, .psd, or .pdn files with layers.
  2. Have someone teach me how to do it myself - but you must know I ONLY have a mouse or an iPad to do art on.

Here are the busts (reduced in size for the forum).

I don't think these would be good enough as is for a game. :p

Thanks!

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, there are several anime styles. I think you may have to do what a lot of us have probably done and look at a heck of a lot of YouTube tutorials until you get the style you like. I can teach you, but I would be teaching you my style. You might have your own preference as to your style. 

StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
At this point, I shouldn't be picky when learning. I think it'd be good to learn regardless, then begin adapting my own style into the mix.

Just for references, my favorite styles are below:

StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are those tutorials good if I'm using a mouse and no tablet? Because that's what I got.

Also, I'm not a fan of video tutorials. They often go by too fast and I can't follow along easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
1. Not the best means of colouring, but yes it should work. 

2. OK, so back to the drawing board. 

I'm going to show you SAI because I don't use Photoshop a lot. 

Hair: 

Overlay layer over hair layer and below outline layer. Opacity is 50%, colour is black. Follow the curves of the hair, does not need to be perfect. Then you use the blur tool, and depending on how subtle you want the shadows to be, you can either blur the edges or the whole thing. For the highlights, I usually use the same overlay layer, but instead of black, I use white. I just make zigzags (not too spread out) and then I blur it heavily. 

Skin:

Here, I usually have to just find the colour that works best. I trace lines by the hair, on the opposite side of the light source. Then I get a different colour, (a darker and more gray-ish one) and do the neck. And I blur that. Sometimes I also make a little diamond shape by the nose, though not mandatory. You just have to follow where it makes sense to go. 

Eyes:

Don't really have a set style. I just look at random characters and see which eyes I'm feeling at the moment. 

Clothes:

In your overlay layer, draw black and white lines on opposite sides that follow the shape of the clothing. If it's a girl, make sure the boobs have shading underneath. That one, I have a weird way of drawing boobs, so this one all depends on your style. Folds are hard, which is why I usually don't go into full detail there, but, if I do, I just draw curved lines following the body shape.     

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going to move this to Resource Support, since that's the direction this request is taking. :)

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Bottom right. Beside the crayon tool. 

StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I finished, but I don't like the outcome.

And my arm hurts.

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I can touch it up for you, I just wanted you to try it first. Just post the SAI file. 

StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks!

So how do I make the others just as good in quality? :p

HexMozart88

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just study how the first one looks, the different layers I used, but one thing that made it look like that was just a better use of the blur tool. Anywhere that it fades from dark to light should be blurred to look smoother. As well, for the darker spots, use another overlay layer with the same settings to make it look darker. I set the brush mode to multiply for the eyes, by the way. The other ones shouldn't be too hard. In fact, they should be easier than this one. See, your main problem was that your shading was too rough, so all you need to do is smooth it out. 

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A

I did a quick attempt in PS CS5.

What I did is a pretty simple cellshading.

The process was basicly like this.

1. Take the whole portrait with a transparent background to a duplicate layer. Go to effects (in the layers tab FX)

2. Go to Gradient. Choose the blue-red-yellow one. Make sure it goes from top down (yellow-red-blue) Overlay (layer-setting) this with a opacity that's fitting your taste.

3. Create a new layer. Choose a color, I picked her skin color but you could also use a blueish one or something and choose the laso-tool. Start marking shadow areas. Fill in the color and set it so either multiply or in my case I did overlay.

4. Repeat the process with a bright yellowish color for the highlights. Use Overlay or negative-multiply.

5. Afterwards I just added an extra gradient to her eyes, two blue-ish highlight to her chestarmor and a few thin lines to her armor to make it look a little shiny.

6. For more fancyness I took the highlight and shadow layers, duplicated them and also added FX Gradient to them... then I turned down the opacity.

7. I also merged everything and did ctrl+b for colorbalance and then did a little more blue to the shades and a little more yellow to the lights.

Done. And I bet with a little practice and some time there could be pretty beautiful results.

Dunno if it fits your taste, but if so it should be doable with a mouse.

Aaaand just btw, I really like your drawing style, it's way to cute :)

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Looks nice, but you need to think  a little more about your light source

some of your highlights and shadows doesn't fit the lightsource. Marked a few of them. Always keep in mind there your lightsource is. Maybe mark it on an extra layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A beloved family member passed away due to complication to combat COVID and diabetes. Rest in peace Grandma.
Just got FES pack for my MZ. The details of the tilesets and chars seem not very compatible with MZ rtp. Look like they are scaled up. Not saying it's bad, but just won't fit well.
I've been busy with other things lately but I'm getting back into working on stuff for my game next month. I think I'm going to fiddle with making NPC busts next, mixing and matching stuff from DLC I've purchased.
Just finished composing a boss battle theme!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim5516