Character event/pages help

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Jackattacks28, Jan 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jackattacks28

Jackattacks28 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello everyone. 

I am pretty new to VX ACE, been watching HOURS of youtube videos especially Crackedrabbitgaming learning etc. I usually do a bunch of searching before I end up googling the issue but I cant seem to spot whats wrong this time. I have a character in game NPC that eventually becomes a part of my party. It start off as en event where the character asks me to find some ingredients, I've got that and when it confirms that I have the items i have it switch to event 4 where he moved up towards the stove then waits and replies with a text. Now I cant seem to get the event page 4 to start on its own, I have to use the action button which created a weird awkward pause between events 2/3 and 4. After this I have it set to where the character decides to join my PT and his sprits is removed. 

Here is an imgur album with the SS

http://imgur.com/a/RuxDl

I appreciate all help.

Thanks

2. meowchelle

meowchelle Veteran

Have you tried setting the page's trigger to autorun? 

Marsigne likes this.
  3. Jackattacks28

First Language:
    English
    Yeah that seemed to work, but the event is running and completing if I talk to the NPC again right after. I have the "chives" and "potatoes" just set as control switches and nothing else so i dont think that works lol. Is it better to always do fetch quests like this with actual items, should i be making actual items in the game and using it that way?

4. Psiho_c

Psiho_c Villager Member

However you want

Once you get use to use switch, not just the on/of but the variable ones (numbers) you will have a lot of flexibility - greater risk of doing something wrong if not careful.

Using the items + condition branch is more easy way to away any kind of complication.

Unless I did understand wrong, right now the event its completing once you speak to him without doing the quest, right?

That is because there is no Condition branch. Because like it is right now, if you talk to the npc, the variable switch  ( the quest) will be turned on ( you need to delete that, add it to the event where the player picks up the item)

Page 2 or 3, just after the text, add a condition branch, set control switch ( "chives" quest for page 2 and "potatoes" for page 3) to be on.

In case you don't know about condition branch (if you do than just skip this part): with a condition branch you can set for an event to only do ( whatever you set it to do) only if ( whatever you select, switch X to be on, Y to be off, Variable switch Z to be 34, player Beta to be in party, Have item/weapon/armor Dragon, be level over 9.000) like you set to be otherwise it will ignore that part, going to what is after it or just exit the event if there is nothing else left.

I try to reproduce as best as I can how it should looks like

Page 2 or 3

Text ( did you get x/y)

If: Chives/Potatoes quest on

• Text : perfect lets make soup
    •   Self switch B on
    •  

This is how it should be.Like this, the NPC, will say the first text over and over each time you speak to him until the quest switch is on, once its on he will do the soup and move to page 4. Anyways, when you pick up the "item" you need to have THAT event ( and not the npc) to the the quest ON. 

Hope this help

5. Jackattacks28

First Language:
    English
    I did get it working, made the chives/potatoes into actual key items that go into the players inv and a conditional branch on my other char that looks for those items and takes it then sets a self switch to event 4.

Ive attached some SS's so you can see. 

Dune event 4.PNG

Dune event 2.PNG

6. Psiho_c

Psiho_c Villager Member

Good job:D

I'm guessing that now there is no more problem with this scene, Else: please tell.