keqi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
How do I make facial expressions for my custom characters made using character generator? Apparently there isn't an option to do so, Is there a way to import more parts to use and make expressions? If so please tell me how and give a link to those assets. Also I need expressions for Harold(MV Default character). He is an important guest character in my game and I'll need facial expression pack for him.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is a big difference here, so I'll have to give you two different answers and you'll have to decide for yourself which answer fits you more.

for generated characters, expressions are usually done by slight changes to the face parts. Like using a different mouth or eyes when constructing the face. This requires some experimenting as not all changes fit correctly, but that is the reason why you can store the generator settings as json files in addition to storing the picture itself:
you make the basic character, store it in json and then experiment with changing parts for different expressions, reloading the original settings from the json file whenever needed to get back to it.

for painted/pixeled characters or when a generated character doesn't have the correct parts available, the only way is to open the picture in an image program (photoshop, GIMP, paint.net or almost anything but not MS Paint) and draw the changes yourself.
in some cases this has been done in the past by artists who gave those pictures away, but in most cases that requires at least some artistic skills - or you have to use the resource request forum if you can't get it correct yourself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Andar pretty much summarized your options, but I also wanted to point out that when you’re using actor (aka main character) portraits and expressions in the over world for like sprites, you’ll need to use Change Actor Images under page 3 for things of that nature. Those kind of commands could be really useful to put in a common event!

Just some extra food for thought :3

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Thank you.

(You originally posted this in General Resources, which is for sharing resources you have made.)

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have the link handy, but people have made facial expression sets for most of the default characters, like Harold.

It might be listed in the "what the RTP is missing" thread, or you could probably find it with a Google (e.g. "RPG Maker Harold faceset").

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I'm going to be adding in combat animations, revamping the UI and putting in a new cutscene this week, so this is your last chance to play the MC:RIS demo in its original form! Say you were there since the beginning! https://qos.itch.io/infinite-sadness
I added reflections and shadows. Though one of the party seems to have no reflection, is floating, with glowing eyes. I'm sure it's fine.
p7O1sjG.png
Well. *That* was an entertaining fustercluck — and that’s not meant nearly as sarcastically as it sounds. I just had to make four different versions of the same conversation:
1: Attained MacGuffin.
2: Have not attained MacGuffin, but know its location.
3: Do not know MacGuffin’s location, but have a good idea where to find it.
4: Do not know where to look for MacGuffin.
Yep, feels good to be back. ^.^
I'm soooooooooo tired TT___TT why can't there be a plugin to let me sleep + work simultaneously ... !!
Mixing different pixi filters over a picture. :MV3:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pestilence