BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
So, I'm trying to create this event that slowly fades in, from opacity 0 to 255. I know I've done something like this before, but for the life of me I can't figure it out anymore.
What do I need to do? I tried setting a move route from 0 opacity to 255, but the sprite just shows up instantly, as if the move route doesn't register at all. I have it on parallel process, maybe that's the issue?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the move route needs to wait for completion, and go in steps from 0 to 255.

if it is in a parallel and doesn't wait, then the move route is reset to the beginnin sixty times per second.

if that is not the problem, show a screenshot of what you have and we can try to spot the error.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, I had it like that, but it's not working.

af1b8457ce9565b2b32ae665a9aea8b5.png

I tried adding the repeated move route to the autonomous movement as well, but it still wouldn't do the opacity stuff. I tried setting the image to "none" and then set a move route so it'd load the charset, and it loaded nothing at all.

I really have no idea what I'm doing wrong here.

Page 1 is by the way just a blank page with no charset, if I didn't leave it blank he'd show up right away on screen for a second before he'd be "gone".

BenSD

Could be anybody
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That first move route should work, although the fade is pretty abrupt. I would do something more like:

Screenshot (304).png

This assumes that the image is set, transparent is OFF, and opacity is already set to 0. Make sure you don't have an autonomous move route that counters this or it's not going to look the way you want. That example would make it fade in more gradually over the span of one second. You could tweak that to be more/less gradual or take more/less time, but that's the right approach.

Edit: it doesn't look the same because I did my mock-up in a different version of RM, but this should work exactly the same on VXA. Also, if you set it to parallel or autorun, it's going to keep repeating that until your event hits something telling it to stop, but it should still work...just on loop.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
How can you set Opacity to 0 before it loads though?
Once I jump from map A to B he already shows up for a split second in B then goes to opacity 0. I don't want him to show at all. I also still can't get him to fade in.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How can you set Opacity to 0 before it loads though?
database, system tab, checkbox "start transparent" (might be translated differently but has always been there since VXAce).

then change opacity with a command before making the player visible with the event command for that

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
database, system tab, checkbox "start transparent" (might be translated differently but has always been there since VXAce).

then change opacity with a command before making the player visible with the event command for that
Yes, that is for the player. I know that. But this is for a NPC. And I can't find a away to say, be on map A change NPC X on map B to opacity 0 before transfering from A to B, then transfer and fade him in.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
give it a page without a sprite and it is invisible until you switch to a different page

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
give it a page without a sprite and it is invisible until you switch to a different page
That's what I have done actually. The first page is empty, no sprite. I swap to page 2 and there's the settings above. Except they don't do anything, he just shows up instantly.

misterdovah

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think I know what you want:

- An event must disappear slowly in front of the player when a map starts. Maybe a ghost? Let's see how I would do it (hope it work for you)

During map transition, when I have some not standart scene going on, I fade out + transition to the new map + tint all to 0 (this makes the scene go full black) + fade in (after fade in its all black) and this is the moment you put your event and start the route as mentioned abovee, getting lower and lower opacity untill zero. If you go from 255 to 0, its an instant "puff", but if you go 255, 200, 190... (I wait 10 frames too). After this I put the tint to normal (120 frames is I want some soft reavealing).

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
1651661409308.png
1651661114501.png
1651661140437.png

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wlouldn't that make him disappear again?

I want him to be not on screen when the screen loads, then fade in, so appear, and stay on screen.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To which one of us are you talking to?
I tested what I posted and works fine. I actually change the wait to 5 frames and looks better.
It only has a flicker at the end when it changes pages. don't know why.

Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Personally I would set the event in question into a place outside the visible space of the map, next run an event scene that first makes the event 0 opacity and THEN teleports the event to the desired location. After that you can run your movement route going 31, 63, 95, 127, 159, 191, 223, 255 opacity.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Roninator2 your solution doesn't show any character whatsoever. Just a blank space.
Literally nothing happens.

I also tried adding the move route to the character and again, he does not fade in. I don't understand.

Edit: do have to say it's not a standard size character, and its animated so it has a ! in front.

Last edited:

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
your solution doesn't show any character whatsoever. Just a blank space.
Literally nothing happens.
Then I'm sorry to say, you did it wrong. I didn't just slap that together, I tested it and works fine.
Taking your statement of having an ! , I change the graphic to Door3 and tested again. Worked fine.
here is the dummy project.

Attachments

• Forums Testing 9.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Then I'm sorry to say, you did it wrong. I didn't just slap that together, I tested it and works fine.
Taking your statement of having an ! , I change the graphic to Door3 and tested again. Worked fine.
It does not, after tampering with it some more, here is what happens:
3a49c98686a5d71387bd76022b6a4996.gif

He fades in, then just completely disappears and fdes in, dissapears, fade in, etc. I don't want that. He also does not use his wire-the-book-moveroute.

And if I add the moveroute where he writes in the book, he doesn't fade in at all.

f2dc61dd599436d6c5a0cfca9203b961.gif

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I added the sample project to the last message.
If that doesn't help, put the events you have in that test project and send back to me. With the graphics, if you don't mind, unless they are paid for. We'll see what might be going wrong.
But it does 100% work for me in the test project. So your events are slightly different or there is something causing an issue.

BenSD

Could be anybody
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It looks like you have the fade in animation as an autorun or parallel without anything to end it, so it's just going on loop. You can just stick "exit event processing" at the end and it should only do it once. On the other hand, if that's not the problem, you're either doing something else wrong or your RPG Maker is broken and you should take it back for a refund or exchange, because the methods above do work. This should really be an easy and straight-forward event, so I'm sorry for the trouble you're having; let us know what the problem was when you get it fixed?

Screenshot (31).pngScreenshot (32).pngScreenshot (33).png

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Roninator2 Well one thing is different, you have a sprite you need to talk to. Mine needs to run without player activation. That's kinda the issue here.

@BenSD thank you, yours does work, even with the moveroute. Strange, I tried exactly the same with parallel process, and somehow could not get it to work. Autorun did the trick.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

yo i made a post but it hasnt really gotten any answers so uhhhh
Finished switching to a new PC. Now I could potentially start working at projects or plugins again if I feel the motivation to do so.
If you don't read the news, you are uninformed. If you read the news, you are misinformed.
Custom slip rates and custom ailment durations for enemies really opens up the floodgates for status effect use. I can have Poison and Time Stop affect bosses without it breaking their balance! Finally, a healthy middle ground.

(Especially after I cooked up a thing that prevents you from re-applying deadly states more than once in specific occassions.)
Voice.gif
The Voice... They usually show up to talk to you about leaving your mark on the world, which is one of the major themes of my game... How will you be remembered by society.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurutami