Not open for further replies.

Khulse

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've run into an odd and annoying problem in RPG Maker MV.

I can't seem to overwrite character sprite sheets or character face sets with the character generator unless I created them that session.

So if I, say (step by step):

Create a walking sprite for a person in town and export it as a new png called 'townfolk'.
Close the generator and RPG maker mv.
Open RPG maker mv and the character generator
Create another character
Import the 'townfolk' png and add the new character's walking sprite to it
Hit export

It wont save.
I don't get an error, and the character generator acts normally, the png in the folder just doesn't change. In order to add new characters or edit existing ones I have to import it, delete the file in the folder, then export.

This doesn't happen if I create another character without closing RPG maker, just if I come back and try to add something latter. It also doesn't apply to editing the file with other programs. I can open, edit, and save the file just fine with paint.net. I can also export over an older file with a new one as long as I don't import it first- which doesn't help much when I want more than one character on the sprite sheet.

Any idea why this might be happening? Or is this normal and I've just never noticed it before?

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know you said the file doesn't change but are you sure you"re not overwriting the first sprite with the second? To get multiple to show up, you need to click a new spot for each image. You probably already know this but I remember how confused I got when I first started using it.

Whether or not that's the issue, check out SRDude on YouTube! I love his quirky sense of humor and he has a ton of great MV videos. Here's one that covers the character generator:

I hope this helps and good luck on your custom NPC's!

Khulse

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know you said the file doesn't change but are you sure you"re not overwriting the first sprite with the second? To get multiple to show up, you need to click a new spot for each image. You probably already know this but I remember how confused I got when I first started using it.

No, that isn't the problem- I already know about that.

If I were to make a blue skinned man in full armor with spiky purple hair, save the walking sprite, then close rpg maker, open it again, and create a blond girl child in a red dress and try to import that file then export it into the same file I'd still have a file with ONLY a blue guy with purple hair in armor, and no trace at all of any blond little girls in red dresses anywhere on the file. It doesn't mater if I try to save her over him, next to him, under him, or anywhere else on the sheet, she wont be there.

Thank you for trying, though- and I enjoy SRDude's videos too.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Khulse Bummer - that was the only thing I could think of. I hope you're able to get this figured out.

uglywolf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What happens if you try running it as Admin?

Else, where did you get your RMMV? Try cleaning and re-install it.
In case if its from STEAM, you know the rules and so do I.

If these doesn't help, my bet is there is something interfering with your RMMV when trying to write the file, thus trying to use a different folder for your generated sprites then the former might also be an option.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where is the project stored?
Could it be that you stored it in a cloudsync'd folder?
Because that would explain what happens - due to the way the RM handles files it has a problem with cloudsyncing (up to the possibility that a cloudsync in the wrong moment can destroy your entire project data).

In this case however the cloud version stored after the first session would be considered to be the "more recent" and any change the generator does locally is automatically removed on cloudsync...

Oh - and never forget that Microsoft tries to force people into their OneDrive which is a cloudsync service. So if you accepted that please move your project files to a different folder outside of OneDrive.

Khulse

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What happens if you try running it as Admin?

Else, where did you get your RMMV? Try cleaning and re-install it.
In case if its from STEAM, you know the rules and so do I.

If these doesn't help, my bet is there is something interfering with your RMMV when trying to write the file, thus trying to use a different folder for your generated sprites then the former might also be an option.
I have tried running it as admin. It doesn't seem to help. I probably should have mentioned that in my first post, sorry.

The folder is in my docs, so there really shouldn't be anything interfering with it. As I mentioned, RMMV is the only program having a problem, and it only seems to be the character generator that has this issue. I haven't had any problems with saving anything else when working on the project.

It is from steam, by the way- but what rules are you referring to? I don't recall anything from the rules about steam installs...

Reinstalling is a good idea. I'll give it a try.

Where is the project stored?
Could it be that you stored it in a cloudsync'd folder?
Because that would explain what happens - due to the way the RM handles files it has a problem with cloudsyncing (up to the possibility that a cloudsync in the wrong moment can destroy your entire project data).

In this case however the cloud version stored after the first session would be considered to be the "more recent" and any change the generator does locally is automatically removed on cloudsync...

Oh - and never forget that Microsoft tries to force people into their OneDrive which is a cloudsync service. So if you accepted that please move your project files to a different folder outside of OneDrive.

The project is in my docs folder, which is NOT in the default location for doc folders- it's on my secondary drive as my boot drive is a smaller steady state drive. I fiddle around with files too much to use a steady state drive for a work area.

It shouldn't be cloudsynced, but Microsoft might have slipped something past me. How would I tell if the folder is cloudsynced or linked to onedrive? As I've never intentionally used either, I'm not all that familiar with them.

Thank you for the replies. I'll look into these suggestions.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How would I tell if the folder is cloudsynced or linked to onedrive?
that is why I asked where it is stored - as in the exact folderpath from drive letter to project.
you can get that info as part of the folder properties - something like c:\folder1\folder2\ and so on.
with that path (and NOT the shortcuts displayed by windows, no "my Computer" or so) you can easily tell if it is part of onedrive or a similar cloudsync

Khulse

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I still don't know what the problem was, but a reinstall of RMMV seems to have fixed it. Somehow I always manage to forget that particular troubleshooting step. Thank you for reminding me, uglywolf.

This thread can be marked resolved.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Been sick with a stomach virus for seven days now. Not going to work tomorrow because I'm still contagious according to my doctor.
Much as I love my job, I really hate playing "office politics". It would be nice if I didn't have to pretend to be someone else all day long.
I wanna get back into showing off Battlers and other assets I create again. But i'm always haunted by the "It's not good/realistic enough" voices that keep me from doing so.

Maybe I should get back to it, I did enjoy showing off whatever I came up with!
Big Google Warning Today for chrome users - apparently some kind of security threat has happened and everyone is being advised to update their Chrome browser ASAP by going to settings and/or "About Google Chrome", to update their browser version to a new one just released.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
26noah