Character keeps taking no damage, how do I fix that?

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've posted the information below about my stats, I don't know why but when I test battles my characters are taking no damage and dishing out a LOT of damage, over 250 of damage, which I don't think should be possible considering the low stats and how the formula is still default. When I do the math, with my character assuming 12 attack and enemy with 12 defense, it should be around 24 damage with a 20% default variance with my character attacking the enemy. Yet for some reason my character is dealing over 250 damage and is receiving none. Likewise, with the enemy's attack being 13 and character's defense being 10, it should be about 32 damage (with variance), yet she takes absolutely no damage at all! I'm not sure how the game is getting these things from it, I'm taking no damage and 1-hitting the enemies when according to the stats I should be at a slight disadvantage. Can I get some help? I've tried looking up help for these in older forums but everything I find just seems to say that the character receives no damage if the formula calculates 0 or less.

Attachments

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Everything seems to be in order based on the provided pics, but what are the traits on the weapon and actor?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Check your stats in the menu, and see how they match up with the enemy once you have everything equipped. If you are using the default formula, and your DEF is double their ATK they will do 0 damage.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
please show us screenshots of the actor and of the weapon as well, they could have traits that mess up the calculation.
I suggest using alt-prtscrn instead of simple prtscrn for the screenshots, that way you don't have to cut the screenshots manually.

Additionally, can you make an evented battle on your starting map and use that as well to test the values? Using the battletest in the database shortcuts into the game, and depending on what plugins you have this can result in bug with the battlemechanism. Some plugins require the full playtest to function correctly, and the database battletest will not work as intended if one of them is installed.

Chocopyro

Just an intermediate leveled adventurer.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
At the risk of sounding like an advertisement:

As someone who also plays around with very low stat chars and enemies, I had a similar problem. I was trying to get them to do damage that scaled on level for very low, (almost low tier D&D character low) in the early levels, but the system seems to want to do those superfluous amounts of 100+ damage, or nothing at all. Eventually, I caved and looked into the armor scaling plug in, popped it in, and did some trial and erroring on the part of the damage formula. So now my characters and the enemies are trading 2-6 damage hits rather than either 1 or 176, despite having stats that are very closely aligned. Which is how I intended it to work. It just feels much more fair, now. It also eliminates the need to put the B.Defense part of the damage formula in when designing skills.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It also eliminates the need to put the B.Defense part of the damage formula in when designing skills.
and that is also the reason why switching to such a plugin would be very bad for the OP in the current situation.

There is no random effect in the computer - even a so-called random number generator gives an exact sequence that can be calculated if all data is known.
Adding such a plugin would be a good idea if someone starts from scratch, but if there is already an unknown factor in the system that causes numbers to go wrong, then adding a plugin that adds further numbers outside the default scope will only make that problem worse.

The OP needs to find out what went wrong first before any such system can be added.
Because there is such a cause, and that will not vanish by adding other elements.
If your car reports a problem with a red LED then you look to solve the cause, you don't tape the LED black. Because while taping the LED black will remove the red light, but not the cause and your car might break down completely later if the problem is not fixed.

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for replying so late everyone, I had to wait for this to get approved and went to sleep while I waited.
Everything seems to be in order based on the provided pics, but what are the traits on the weapon and actor?
I put in the info for the sword and actor, there are no traits aside from the sword being a physical attack by default.

please show us screenshots of the actor and of the weapon as well, they could have traits that mess up the calculation.
I suggest using alt-prtscrn instead of simple prtscrn for the screenshots, that way you don't have to cut the screenshots manually.

Additionally, can you make an evented battle on your starting map and use that as well to test the values? Using the battletest in the database shortcuts into the game, and depending on what plugins you have this can result in bug with the battlemechanism. Some plugins require the full playtest to function correctly, and the database battletest will not work as intended if one of them is installed.
I've attached the screenshots of the sword I'm using and the actor, no traits are added on to result in this.

Also I don't use prtscrn, I use the Snipping Tool, It's a tool that takes screenshots of a selected area.

Attachments

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
by default everything should be with lower damage from what we can see.
have you tested the regular battle instead of the battletest from the database like I asked above?
and please give a screenshot of your plugin manager.
Also I don't use prtscrn, I use the Snipping Tool, It's a tool that takes screenshots of a selected area.
but unfortunately you tend to make that selected area too small, the alt-ptrscrn would have given us the full data in the entire window. The missing sections aren't too critical in these cases, but sometimes we need the ID numbers or other details.
Probably not in this case, but it is always better to have the full info when bughunting.

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
have you tested the regular battle instead of the battletest from the database like I asked above?

but unfortunately you tend to make that selected area too small, the alt-ptrscrn would have given us the full data in the entire window. The missing sections aren't too critical in these cases, but sometimes we need the ID numbers or other details.
Probably not in this case, but it is always better to have the full info when bughunting.
What's the plugin manager and how do I access it?

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Alright I found it here's the plugin manager, and yes I've tested the battle in-game as an event and it's still the same result.
1579804016089.png

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, this makes no sense to me. All your screenshots look to be in order, nothing is off. I replicated what you did here and tested it in a new project and I get the correct damage returns. It's really strange.

Try this. You don't have to use this by any means, but I'm curious if its an engine bug or if something is being weird.

In notepad, open a new document and copy-paste this code
Code:
Game_Action.prototype.physicalAttack = function(a,b) {
var atk = a.atk;
var def = b.def;
damage = a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2;
console.log("User's attack: " + atk + " Target's Defense: " + def + " Output Damage: " + damage);
return damage;
}
Save this in your project folder under js/plugins/ as customAttack.js (set notepad save-as to all file types)
Add it in the plugin manager. In your attack skill formula box, type this
Code:
this.physicalAttack(a,b)
When you are testing the game now, hit F9 (I believe, it may be F8), to open the debug console. Where I have the console.log command, you can see the values being inputted into the formula, in case there is some weirdness going on.

EDIT: I'm not at my computer at the moment, so I cant guarantee that I even typed that code 100% correctly, so it's untested. It looks right though.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please open your project folder
is there a folder www inside the project folder, yes or no?
(it should not be, but having one such folder there would point out to one of the few remaining possibilities where the bug would be)

If there is a www folder inside the project folder, we can tell you how to repair your project afterwards.

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, this makes no sense to me. All your screenshots look to be in order, nothing is off. I replicated what you did here and tested it in a new project and I get the correct damage returns. It's really strange.

Try this. You don't have to use this by any means, but I'm curious if its an engine bug or if something is being weird.

In notepad, open a new document and copy-paste this code
Code:
Game_Action.prototype.physicalAttack = function(a,b) {
var atk = a.atk;
var def = b.def;
damage = a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2;
console.log("User's attack: " + atk + " Target's Defense: " + def + " Output Damage: " + damage);
return damage;
}
Save this in your project folder under js/plugins/ as customAttack.js (set notepad save-as to all file types)
Add it in the plugin manager. In your attack skill formula box, type this
Code:
this.physicalAttack(a,b)
When you are testing the game now, hit F9 (I believe, it may be F8), to open the debug console. Where I have the console.log command, you can see the values being inputted into the formula, in case there is some weirdness going on.

EDIT: I'm not at my computer at the moment, so I cant guarantee that I even typed that code 100% correctly, so it's untested. It looks right though.
I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, I put in the plugin like you said but I still get the same result, take no damage and 1-hitting enemy. I pressed F8 and it brings up another window but I have no idea what anything in that window is.

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please open your project folder
is there a folder www inside the project folder, yes or no?
(it should not be, but having one such folder there would point out to one of the few remaining possibilities where the bug would be)

If there is a www folder inside the project folder, we can tell you how to repair your project afterwards.
No I don't see a folder named www in it

1579817182261.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@razluna that is good, although it means we have to continue to search.

However, here are two other things I can see from the screenshot that you have to change, although they have nothing to do with the current error:
1) make sure the project folder is NOT cloud-stored by onedrive. It has to be outside the onedrive folders
2) rename the project folder to follow networking rules - that means remove the spaces from it.

Both things will cause problems up to completely destroying all your work if a couldsync happens at the wrong moment.

After that, please test something else:
Make a new project, add in the data for the actor and the enemy only and test the battle again.
I want to see if the project code itself was somehow damaged - unlikely but not impossible, and the settings you have should work as intended.
Testing the same with a newly made project would show us if it is something inside the project or if the error comes from somewhere else.

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@razluna that is good, although it means we have to continue to search.

However, here are two other things I can see from the screenshot that you have to change, although they have nothing to do with the current error:
1) make sure the project folder is NOT cloud-stored by onedrive. It has to be outside the onedrive folders
2) rename the project folder to follow networking rules - that means remove the spaces from it.

Both things will cause problems up to completely destroying all your work if a couldsync happens at the wrong moment.

After that, please test something else:
Make a new project, add in the data for the actor and the enemy only and test the battle again.
I want to see if the project code itself was somehow damaged - unlikely but not impossible, and the settings you have should work as intended.
Testing the same with a newly made project would show us if it is something inside the project or if the error comes from somewhere else.
I don't actually have one drive, no account and no linked pc with it, for some reason my folders default to under OneDrive and the OneDrive section of folders just displays some of the same information as stuff saved in ThisPC, I'm not sure why, but that's just now things are displayed and I don't know how to remove OneDrive from the display. I did rename it to replace the spaces with underscores.

I can confirm that after copying the stats for class, actor, enemy, and weapon, that everything works as calculated, but I'm not sure what within the project is causing it and I don't want to have to just restart everything from scratch, and restarting wouldn't help me if I come across it a second time.

Chocopyro

Just an intermediate leveled adventurer.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@razluna you don't have to quote me everytime, quotes should be used only to reference to specific points in a previous post.

and I completely agree that you should not just abandon your old project without knowing what caused the problem there in the first time - it's just that searching for an error sometimes means that we have to compare a bugged project with an intact project.

So the result of that test is that it is indeed something inside the project and not an outside effect (like a background program messing up data).

Next step - compare version numbers.
1) what is your editor version? You can get that under the menu help-about
2) what is the core version of the damaged project? Open the project folder, goto js folder, open the rpg_core.js file with a text editor (NOT by doubleclicking) and read the number at the end of the title line (no number means 1.0)

The numbers might or might not be identical, we need to know both even if they are the same.

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar Alright, noted, this is my first time using the forums, made an account specifically for this issue.

I'm using 1.6.2

Damaged core is rpg_core.js v1.6.2

the new test project is rpg_core.js v1.6.2

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@razluna Sorry to interrupt the thread, but since you're new to the forum you should know that double-posting is against the rules here (except in specific subforums). No worries, I'm just letting you know :D . Instead of posting twice in a row, you can simply edit your post to include the missing information.

razluna, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

With that said, I'll leave you in Andar's hands. Don't worry, he's one of the best on this forum! :LZYcool:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Broke: Dont move. -boring. -passive. -uncreative. Woke: Bewegen Sie Nicht! +authoritative. +foreign. +reminds your son that he's a garden gnome now.
My girlfriend left a note on the fridge saying 'This isn't working, goodbye.' I opened the refrigerator and it works just fine. Weird.
BCj
Could someone translate something from Japanese to English for me?
You know, I sometimes ponder if working on the story and details is more necessary than the game itself. Its... technically work, just not direct.

Like for me specifically I never stop evolving the story based on what avenues I can approach in gameplay and then I get anxious thinking "hey good thing I thought about that now instead of later". Repeat ad nauseam.
World Of Final Fantasy Livestream~!
(Ft. Kaliga)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mons10VN