Character keeps taking no damage, how do I fix that?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With that said, I'll leave you in Andar's hands. Don't worry, he's one of the best on this forum!
unfortunately even I'm currently out of ideas.

we could try an update to the same version to see if that would fix it (and most likely it would do), but that would indicate that the original cause was an edit to one of the js files - something I really doubt the OP did.

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly I don't have and ideas on what's going on either. The code I posted was really just to output the numbers used in the damage calculations into the debug console log so you could see what was getting out putted. In case for some reason, it wasn't calculating correctly.

Edit: I don't know the likelyhood of this, but is there any chance Windows corrupted any of the default *.js files? It's done stuff like that to me before, which is why I use Ubuntu over Windows. I wonder if the default damage calculation function is messed up, but I don't know where it's located.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but is there any chance Windows corrupted any of the default *.js files?
Likelyhood: yes, theoretically this is possible - had happened before, especially with very invasive background programs that mistook the game for an malware infection or when multiple file access with cloudfunctions collide.
The problem is that almost every bug caused by such a case would result in a crash.

Just think about it: you have a text file with a program code inside, and suddenly windows randomly replaces a random letter inside that code.
The chance of that changed letter still remaining a working code where just some numbers are changed - compared to the chance of a syntax error because the engine can't read the resulting text are rather low, 99% of all such cases would result in error messages.

But it is a possibility and one of the reasons I mentioned an update.

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28 Thanks! I didn't know that.

@Andar @RedFoxGaming I wasn't sure how to use the script posted, I couldn't quite make out the information I was seeing as I didn't know what to look for. And I doubt there's any corruption or an update issue, it's up to date through steam and steam has the ability to verify the integrity of game files and repair damaged files, I ran the check and there was no corruption.

Edit: Would it help if I attached the project file, since it appears to be with that? If so,do I need to attach just the game.rpgproject or compress and attacha copy of the whole folder?

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Edit: Would it help if I attached the project file, since it appears to be with that? If so,do I need to attach just the game.rpgproject or compress and attacha copy of the whole folder?
We need all the files to have access to your project, only the game.rpgproject won't work since we wouldn't have the resources. Create a zip file and put your entire project folder in it (although you can remove unused resources to save space), and send the zip. However, I don't think you can send such a big file via the attachment here on the forum. I don't know what the size limit is unfortunately (not even sure there is one, but I assume there is a size limit).

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@razluna The purpose of the code was to really just output what numbers were being used in the damage calculation. I couldn't remember what button opened the debug console though. It's either F8 or F9. To use it, copy the code into a text document, save it as whatevername.js (it has to be a *.js file, so you have to switch notepad to save as all files [or view all files, I use Ubuntu so I can't remember]) copy paste the *.js file into your project folder/plugins/js. Open the plugin manager and add it, and replace your attack skill formula with

this.physicalAttack(a,b)

If I wrote it right, it should be outputting stuff into the debug console. So if your attack is 12,since a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2 you should be getting 48 and like 26 as the numbers.

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28 I suppose it's worth a try, if I can do it it'll allow others to see what's going on if the issue can be found.

Also note for anyone thatdownloads and checks this that there should only be one added script in, and it's the script that @RedFoxGaming said I should put in to try and check what values are being calculated, though I admittedly didn't know how to use the script after putting it in.

@RedFoxGaming Well pressing F8 does open a window when I do the battle test, butI have no idea what to look for in it, the window has a bunch of stuff in it I can't make sense of and nothing seems to change when I do the battle,and when I paste in the attack formula you sent now neither of them are dealing any damage

1579840904625.png
I honestly have no idea what is going on in the screen to the right or how to use it.

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh my bad. That is the wrong menu. I'm actually at work and I've been trying to remember this stuff off the top of my head. I think it's actually F10 or you can open the F8 menu and click the Console tab.

I do have two suggestions though. Try making a new project and copying the plug-ins folder in the new project over to yours, and overwrite the stuff in it.

Also, try putting any number into your attack skill formula box and setting variance to 0. If it's behaving right you should deal exactly that much damage (unless it crits)

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RedFoxGaming Thanks, though I've actually managed to fix the issue, I'm not entirely sure how what I did fixed it.

@MushroomCake28 @Andar I did manage to fix the problem, with some minor troubleshooting. I have no idea how what I did fixed it, but I know what I did to fix it and thus where the problem was, though I also still don't know what the exact problem was. I'll spell out my troubleshooting below so that you can look over it in the unlikely situation someone else shares this problem.

I realized that every time I tested the problem, it was with my main actor, I only had the one actor too. I decided to refill the 2nd slot with a blank test character and then do the battle test with them in the party, making sure the main actor was blocking so they don't 1-hit the enemy.

performing the test, I was able to see that the new character was able to deal and recieve the proper damage, while the main actor was still dealing and recieving the bugged damage. (I'll be refering it to bugged damage as I don't know the source of the issue)

To test a fix, I took note of my main actor's information and then deleted her, basically just clearing the slot. I then simply re-filled her information back into it. After running a battle test with her, she was doing the expected damage and taking the expected damage. The issue was fixed by deleting and refilling her "Actor" slot.

To not what I learned from this:
  • The bugged damage was sourced from the information in the Actor slot, and was cleared by deleting the actor.
  • Considering I put in the same information she had before, same traits and same equipment and same class, there may have been some invisible factor in the actor slot that I either accidentally changed, or bugged out on its own, information that can be cleared by clearing the actor slot.
  • If the bug effected the slot, then it's possible that a similar bug can occur in other slots under skills, classes, weapons, etc. If so, clearing and re-inputing the information would likely also fix that bug. Since nobody was aware of this bug or how to fix it before, it is unknown if it can occur in other slots, and it's unlikely this bug will be a common issue.
  • I did not copy and paste the information, I deleted and manually re-inputted the information, so it is unknown if a cut/paste would fix the bug, it is possible it could be copied with everything else, but also possible it'll stay in the slot. This should be tested if anyone experiences this bug again, as it would save them from having to manually input character information, especially for more complex characters with a lot of specific traits added.
That is everything I learned, I tried to make it as clear as possible. I would appreciate some input on my efforts to document the bug and troubleshoot process before this is closed.

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's incredibly weird, but I have had stuff like that happen before. Like with that attack plugin that didn't work, I like using plug-ins for my damage formulas because it's a whole lot easier to make a massive formula in Javascript than to do it on that one line box, and I can write it for one project and it refuse to work and copy paste it to another and not change anything and it'll work fine. I'm glad you got the issue fixed though.

Edit: actually I just thought of this. I wonder if the data file itself for your actor got corrupted somehow

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm just starting out so I think I'll try to avoid plug-ins if I can while I'm working on this project, It's meant to be something simpler meant to get me use to the basics of the program. I suppose it's possible though if it was a corrupted file shouldn't steam's integrity check have found that?

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If one of the data files in your project corrupted, steam doesn't check for stuff in your project folder. I believe every database entry in MV is its own data file on the system. It's in the /data folder in your project folder. You can actually edit these files in a text editor if you wish. I think they are in *.json formatted syntax.

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah that makes sense, it'd only check the integrity of anything part of the original installation, not anything added after. Alright, good to know.

RedFoxGaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, plus an integrity check will only check Steam/steamapps/common/RPG Maker MV/ and MV projects typically default to C:/Users/$USER/Documents/Games or something along those lines.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
While invisible references are possible, there should have been no way how they get into actor data in that context. This is a really strange case.

I'll explain how invisible references usually happen, and then you can decide if there was something similiar to what you've done in the project before.

On the system tab there is a setting called "starting party" that contains the four actors by default. If someone goes to the actor tab and deletes the second, third and fourth actor, their names will vanish from that starting party list because there suddenly is no name reference any more.
But the reference to that non-existing actor is still in the starting party and blocks a slot, resulting in strange frames on the menu as well as "empty" positions in the followers.
The solution is usually to click on the still existing empty lines in the starting party and delete them.

Something similiar can happen if you reduce the lists in the "types" tab - if for example a skill uses an element from the lists, and that element is suddenly removed by reducing the lenght of the element list, then that skill would still have a reference to an element number that no longer exists and the engine would probably crash when trying to calculate damage on that element.

The problem here is that to my knowledge the actors have no such reference lists - the traits work differently, their list can't be modified by the developer at all. So all data is regularly visible there.
The only exception would have been the class reference, and that was regularly set in your screenshots (and you would not have been able to remove class ID 1 anyway, only higher IDs)

As said, very strange

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
have you tried adding a trait to the enemy that sets physical vulnerability to 100%?
I don't remember if that's set to 100% to every damage type, by default..... maybe you need to add it explicitly, otherwise it'd be 0, and that'd reduce all damage to 0, because *physical* is the only thing you're attacking with.

switch the attack element from physical to normal attack, and see if there's a change.
if there is, then you have to add 100% *physical* rate to the enemy, because *physical* is an element to the eyes of the engine.

razluna

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
have you tried adding a trait to the enemy that sets physical vulnerability to 100%?
I haven't done anything like, but as I stated above I've already fixed the issue, and the problem was with the actor, not the enemy (I did test this with multiple enemies too). I wrote down my troubleshoot process in it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trading has been halted on the TSX (Canadian stock market) because of "technical issues". Suspicious... I'm bracing myself for a sea of red tomorrow lol
The Loco-Motion song pre-dates the dance. Meaning the lyrics are kinda misleading. "Everybody's doing a brand new dance now"... No they weren't, you just used peer pressure to trick everyone into going along with it.
Love it when someone confuses "RPG Maker (or script/plugin) has a bug" with "I didn't set it up right and it's not working as I want (or gives an error)"
Is animation really as hard as I think it is?
Out of sudden, snow. Everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chungagunga