Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Charamaker.jpg

A new and much-approved version of the Character Maker is available! Thanks to Martin's talents, you can now whip up sprite sheets, paperdolls, busts, and more quickly and easily! On top of that, there is also a level editor that you can use to build your game maps with PVGames assets!

Software Features include:

• The ability to quickly and simply create your characters, easily drawing from a large pool of PVGames resources.
  • Many export options - customize what animations, what directional facings, etc that you want to export.
  • Save characters and character templates. An auto-save feature is also present.
  • Adjust color, hue, saturation, of any individual piece of equipment or character right from within the editor.
  • Layer control - change which layer an item is on quickly
  • Multiple views - While building your character, easily swap between numerous bust, paperdoll, face, and animated sprite views to see your character come alive.
  • Level editor - easily build maps using PVGames resources, complete with auto Z-level sorting and unlimited layer support, toggleable snap-to-grid, and much more!
You can see both of these in action in this little video here:

PM me for details if you're interested in the software.

Thank you!

Credit goes to Martin

Last edited:

jerseyware

Narrative over all.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awesome tool, just downloaded and tested it. There is no error reporting, so if it doesn't load up, check your file paths!

That said, this gives you ALL of the artwork. Every single cut piece of artwork you can find in the base Male# or Female# folder will be output with the complete clothes you setup in the generator - including SV battlers. I can't imagine how much faster we'll be able to create our NPCs.

The color change tools are a neat idea, but applying color uniformly to detailed clothing pieces doesn't work. This portion will need to be a bit more sophisticated to have a real use. There also doesn't appear to be a way to undo color changes without removing and replacing the clothing piece. Hopefully this tool will become all it can be in the future!

The multi views for preview are terrific for seeing small changes, and layer controls make swapping pieces a breeze.

Overall another great release from PV Games!

EDIT: The color change tools actually work out better than I originally assessed. Some pieces can be given total color repaints and come out just fine. This still won't work out so well with the more detailed chest pieces, but for certain shirts and pants, you'll have no trouble getting a nice variance.

Last edited:

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just to address the color picker tool comment:

To remove the color without deleting/re-adding the item, just set the color back to white (which is what it is by default).

And you are right, the color tool won't work as well with an item that has a lot of different colors and details versus an item that is mostly a uniform color. It works best for items that you mentioned, certain shirts and pants, but it shines the brightest with hair and facial hair (and cloaks, tabards, and some other items). Overall it is a very useful tool, but mileage might vary a bit depending on the specific item you are re-coloring.

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah you can get away with the color picker thing on certain items but not others.

In a dream world there would be a mask feature where we could highlight the parts of a certain layer we want to tint but I'd imagine that'd be alot of work for a free generator.

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Glad to know it's finally out. Not glad that regardless of the updates I made, I couldn't run it. Updated Java and drivers too.

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Glad to know it's finally out. Not glad that regardless of the updates I made, I couldn't run it. Updated Java and drivers too.
Did you try this version? If so, and it still doesn't work for you, can you send me a detailed PM with what is going on? Does it crash, and if so, when? There is a log file as well included, can you send the contents of that?

Thank you!

metronome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (Sure!)
Primarily Uses
Uh....medieval only? Would be nice if you could tell me how to add packs from other themes such as wild steam etc....

I did try going into the program myself, clicked on "add files", and then I went into my "Wild Steam" folder, and then into "Character Pieces" folder. After selecting "People" folder inside, I clicked "open", and the program hangs.....

Last edited:

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It will not work with those resources really. I did not make the software, the person who did made it specifically for the MV resources.

jerseyware

Narrative over all.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just to address the color picker tool comment:

To remove the color without deleting/re-adding the item, just set the color back to white (which is what it is by default).

And you are right, the color tool won't work as well with an item that has a lot of different colors and details versus an item that is mostly a uniform color. It works best for items that you mentioned, certain shirts and pants, but it shines the brightest with hair and facial hair (and cloaks, tabards, and some other items). Overall it is a very useful tool, but mileage might vary a bit depending on the specific item you are re-coloring.
This has been my experience now that I've made a few characters. The Character Maker becomes VERY useful with multiple PV packs (so go buy them! :)) Good to know how to reset the colors! Thanks again for putting this out.

padr81

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've got an issue with this. It loads the body templates from all my packs but won't load any of the clothes from warfare or interiors. KT and T&C work perfect. The program is reading them and showing sliders but all those sliders contain no graphics if that makes sense.

Scratch that the images just didn't copy over but there is an issue with the long file names and Windows. For example if I put the char generator inside another folder say
documents>pvgames>character maker> I have huge issue of the file path being too long for windows to open it.

For example my set up is as follows:
C;\\users\padraig\desktop\character maker\resource packs\medieval interiors\medieval_interiors_humans\medieval_interiors_females\medieval_interiors_female_accessory_1_mvSV_altcritical_1
Thats a bigger file path than windows can handle.

Last edited:

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah, it is strange that some folk have that issue, others do not (I never had that issue, and was never aware it was an issue for some folk until well after these were released). In this case you can shorten the file path, just make sure the file path is matched in the config file :)

jerseyware

Narrative over all.
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Windows File System has a file path character limit of I believe 255 or 260 characters. This is a part of the OS, not the program, and will exist no matter what software you use. It may be necessary to change the configuration file to remove a subfolder in order to reduce the number of characters in the path.

EDIT: Alternatively, you could put the character generator in your base C:\ folder, instead of your Users folder, to remove some path content from the beginning.

Last edited:

metronome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (Sure!)
Primarily Uses
It will not work with those resources really. I did not make the software, the person, who did made it specifically for the MV resources.
Ah, pardon me.
I thought you're the creator of the the software~~

I just realize in order to make this software to work with the old resources (such as wild steam, etc), is to actually add sideview battler templates, master templates, into the software. Which is impossible for me lol.

padr81

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, it is strange that some folk have that issue, others do not (I never had that issue, and was never aware it was an issue for some folk until well after these were released). In this case you can shorten the file path, just make sure the file path is matched in the config file :)
I fixed it easy enough, just thought I'd give you the heads up. Its weird but I didn't get it with the demo in the exact same folder.

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I fixed it easy enough, just thought I'd give you the heads up. Its weird but I didn't get it with the demo in the exact same folder.
Yeah, to be honest I never had that issue on either of my computers, but a few other people have. As I said, if I knew it was a thing beforehand I would have come up with something different :)

Luckily, for the sake of this software, it is not too hard to change the path and shorten the names. Just change the folder names to whatever you want that is shorter, and update the config file to match.

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The slightly irritating way around this that I used was to instead re-download all the packs, extract them, and simply drag each folder over. Copying the files gave me the stupid message about filenames being too long, but moving them entirely did not. Yay Windows 10....sometimes I wonder what Microsoft was thinking.

ekhartpl

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Can anyone check, if they can use the "load" option, to load up any character? IE. create a folder in Generated_Characters, and paste this:

Code:
Male,false
Template,Medieval_T&C_Male_1,0,true,-1
Feet,Medieval_Interiors_Male_Feet_2,1,true,-1
Pants,Medieval_T&C_Male_Pants_5,2,true,-1
Top,Medieval_T&C_Male_Top_3,3,true,-1
Tabard,Medieval_Warfare_Male_Tabard_9,4,true,-1
Accessory,Medieval_Warfare_Male_Accessory_2,5,true,-1
Gloves,Medieval_KT_Male_Hands_1,6,true,-1
Decal,Medieval_Warfare_Male_Scar_4,7,true,-1
FacialHair,Medieval_Interiors_Male_FacialHair_2_Alt_2,8,true,-1
Main,Medieval_Warfare_Male_Weapon_Main_CrosshiltSword,9,true,-1
Off,Medieval_Interiors_Male_Weapon_Off1,10,true,-1
Into text file in there, and try to load it. Because if it works, we may have a way to share our characters to other people, while still making sure they actually have the resource packs!

Backlash404

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I just tested it and it wont work currently if you dont own a pack, like me, with a Tabard or other item in it.
However I am the creator of the program and just made a quick update and sent it to Jesse. So after that versions up it should work in any situation. When I added the save file feature I didn't even think about using it like that. Great idea!

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks @Backlash404 :)

I also never thought about that potential feature - now it is easy to even share characters, too.

At any rate, I updated the download with the latest version that corrects this and also adjusts the layer ordering (so if you change the order of a layer, it changes position on the list logically).

ElieTaping

Zzz... Sleep Sleep Sleep~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Holy chr1st! This is awesomely sick!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone here managed to never burn out on programming? My current limit is 3 months(6-8 hours per day, 7 days per week, 50 hour programming week on average), and then I just have to take a break, sometimes lasting few days(with at most 2 hours on programming per day). I've been always like this so far, so I admire those who can always be so passionate on programming :)
This is starting to become a momochi collection y'all!
Meet Swefo The candy Eater!

Hide your candy... I or I sweefe sweefefooo~~~
Automatic level scaling without an option to turn it off can be a very bad choice for a game. The worst I've ever seen was in Nightmare of Druaga, where if a power outage made your system turn off, the game detects it as an attempted cheat and overwrites your save while taking away your best gear, leaving you unable to progress at the late stages of the game, and unable to recover.
Problem with sequels: Heroes getting rid of all their items and forgets all of their skills within the span of a year without explanation. :kaomad3:
I can see the end of my prologue. Perfect time to decide to pull everything over into MZ, right? Right?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rynkal