Character Maker Software (Freeware)

Discussion in 'PVGames Resource Packs' started by Jesse - PVGames, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

After many iterations and lots of feedback on feature suggestions and bugs, the Character Maker is available for broader testing, so I will make it available here to anyone who wishes to use it. If you encounter any bugs or issues or have a feature request, please do let me know!

Software Features include:

• Designed with PVGames resources in mind
    • Easy to use interface to quickly and simply create your character
    • One-click export (click once, the software makes *all* spritesheets, paperdolls, busts, and faces for you)
    • WIP save - save templates or works in progress
    • Color Picker - easily change the color of any item
    • Layer control - change which layer an item is on quickly
    • Multiple views - newly added, can toggle between Bust and Paperdoll view (and you still have sprite and faceset views)
    • Animated previews - you can toggle between animated and static spritesheet previews
    • Updated config file for the most logical ordering of items (plus I fixed issues with Knights Templar items appearing where they shouldn't be)
    Changes have been made to how the artwork gets loaded and the order in which files load, so if you have tried the software out before, you will notice it loads waaaaayyy faster now. If you were having crashing issues before, try the software out now and see if the issue is resolved (it was for me).

If you have issues opening it or it crashes, before reporting it there are usually two steps which fix 90% of all the cases. Step one is to update Java to the latest version. If that does not fix the issue, step two is to update your graphics driver. If that still does not fix the issue, please report the issue and I will pass it on to the creator of the software.

You can grab the software here:

Character Maker (Dropbox)
    And don't forget these...
    Medieval Freebies (Free Character Creation Pieces!)

If you have issues downloading it, let me know. Dropbox recently did a change to how file sharing works so I am not sure if I got it set up right!

Instructions:
    After downloading the file, unzip it and place the file wherever you wish, along with the accompanying folder. If the Resource Pack folder does not exist (or any of its subfolders or config files), the software will automatically create these for you in whatever directory you placed the .exe file.

Place your resource packs that you own into the Resource Packs folder. What I did for this was I removed all other resources from the resource packs except the folders which contained the character creation pieces, but you can leave everything in if you want, it doesn't matter. The Config file has already been set to search for Medieval T&C, Medieval Interiors, Medieval Warfare, Medieval Knights Templar, and Medieval Plague Bringers resource packs. You can adjust this config file if you have renamed the resource packs or want to add your own custom folders. The important part of this is that the path you write down in the Config file matches perfectly with the path in which the folders are located within the Resource Packs folder.

[​IMG]

For the most part, if you have not renamed the folders or files, you can just drag and drop them into the Resource Packs folder and they will be all set. Double click the .exe file to launch the program!

Any and all feedback is welcome! Thank you and enjoy!

Credit goes to Alexander J Schmidt

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  2. jerseyware

jerseyware Narrative over all. Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Awesome tool, just downloaded and tested it. There is no error reporting, so if it doesn't load up, check your file paths!

That said, this gives you ALL of the artwork. Every single cut piece of artwork you can find in the base Male# or Female# folder will be output with the complete clothes you setup in the generator - including SV battlers. I can't imagine how much faster we'll be able to create our NPCs.

The color change tools are a neat idea, but applying color uniformly to detailed clothing pieces doesn't work. This portion will need to be a bit more sophisticated to have a real use. There also doesn't appear to be a way to undo color changes without removing and replacing the clothing piece. Hopefully this tool will become all it can be in the future!

The multi views for preview are terrific for seeing small changes, and layer controls make swapping pieces a breeze.

Overall another great release from PV Games!

EDIT: The color change tools actually work out better than I originally assessed. Some pieces can be given total color repaints and come out just fine. This still won't work out so well with the more detailed chest pieces, but for certain shirts and pants, you'll have no trouble getting a nice variance.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  3. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Just to address the color picker tool comment:

To remove the color without deleting/re-adding the item, just set the color back to white (which is what it is by default).

And you are right, the color tool won't work as well with an item that has a lot of different colors and details versus an item that is mostly a uniform color. It works best for items that you mentioned, certain shirts and pants, but it shines the brightest with hair and facial hair (and cloaks, tabards, and some other items). Overall it is a very useful tool, but mileage might vary a bit depending on the specific item you are re-coloring.

4. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah you can get away with the color picker thing on certain items but not others.

In a dream world there would be a mask feature where we could highlight the parts of a certain layer we want to tint but I'd imagine that'd be alot of work for a free generator.

5. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Glad to know it's finally out. Not glad that regardless of the updates I made, I couldn't run it. Updated Java and drivers too.

6. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Did you try this version? If so, and it still doesn't work for you, can you send me a detailed PM with what is going on? Does it crash, and if so, when? There is a log file as well included, can you send the contents of that?

Thank you!

7. metronome

metronome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    Uh....medieval only? Would be nice if you could tell me how to add packs from other themes such as wild steam etc....

I did try going into the program myself, clicked on "add files", and then I went into my "Wild Steam" folder, and then into "Character Pieces" folder. After selecting "People" folder inside, I clicked "open", and the program hangs.....

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  8. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    It will not work with those resources really. I did not make the software, the person who did made it specifically for the MV resources.

9. jerseyware

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This has been my experience now that I've made a few characters. The Character Maker becomes VERY useful with multiple PV packs (so go buy them! :)) Good to know how to reset the colors! Thanks again for putting this out.

10. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've got an issue with this. It loads the body templates from all my packs but won't load any of the clothes from warfare or interiors. KT and T&C work perfect. The program is reading them and showing sliders but all those sliders contain no graphics if that makes sense.

Scratch that the images just didn't copy over but there is an issue with the long file names and Windows. For example if I put the char generator inside another folder say
    documents>pvgames>character maker> I have huge issue of the file path being too long for windows to open it.

For example my set up is as follows:
    C;\\users\padraig\desktop\character maker\resource packs\medieval interiors\medieval_interiors_humans\medieval_interiors_females\medieval_interiors_female_accessory_1_mvSV_altcritical_1
    Thats a bigger file path than windows can handle.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    kaukusaki likes this.
  11. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Ah, it is strange that some folk have that issue, others do not (I never had that issue, and was never aware it was an issue for some folk until well after these were released). In this case you can shorten the file path, just make sure the file path is matched in the config file :)

12. jerseyware

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Windows File System has a file path character limit of I believe 255 or 260 characters. This is a part of the OS, not the program, and will exist no matter what software you use. It may be necessary to change the configuration file to remove a subfolder in order to reduce the number of characters in the path.

EDIT: Alternatively, you could put the character generator in your base C:\ folder, instead of your Users folder, to remove some path content from the beginning.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  13. metronome

metronome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (Sure!)
    Ah, pardon me.
    I thought you're the creator of the the software~~

I just realize in order to make this software to work with the old resources (such as wild steam, etc), is to actually add sideview battler templates, master templates, into the software. Which is impossible for me lol.

14. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I fixed it easy enough, just thought I'd give you the heads up. Its weird but I didn't get it with the demo in the exact same folder.

15. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, to be honest I never had that issue on either of my computers, but a few other people have. As I said, if I knew it was a thing beforehand I would have come up with something different :)

Luckily, for the sake of this software, it is not too hard to change the path and shorten the names. Just change the folder names to whatever you want that is shorter, and update the config file to match.

16. PsychicToaster

PsychicToaster Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The slightly irritating way around this that I used was to instead re-download all the packs, extract them, and simply drag each folder over. Copying the files gave me the stupid message about filenames being too long, but moving them entirely did not. Yay Windows 10....sometimes I wonder what Microsoft was thinking.

kaukusaki likes this.
  17. ekhartpl

ekhartpl Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Can anyone check, if they can use the "load" option, to load up any character? IE. create a folder in Generated_Characters, and paste this:

Code:
    Male,false
    Template,Medieval_T&C_Male_1,0,true,-1
    Feet,Medieval_Interiors_Male_Feet_2,1,true,-1
    Pants,Medieval_T&C_Male_Pants_5,2,true,-1
    Top,Medieval_T&C_Male_Top_3,3,true,-1
    Tabard,Medieval_Warfare_Male_Tabard_9,4,true,-1
    Accessory,Medieval_Warfare_Male_Accessory_2,5,true,-1
    Gloves,Medieval_KT_Male_Hands_1,6,true,-1
    Decal,Medieval_Warfare_Male_Scar_4,7,true,-1
    FacialHair,Medieval_Interiors_Male_FacialHair_2_Alt_2,8,true,-1
    Main,Medieval_Warfare_Male_Weapon_Main_CrosshiltSword,9,true,-1
    Off,Medieval_Interiors_Male_Weapon_Off1,10,true,-1

Into text file in there, and try to load it. Because if it works, we may have a way to share our characters to other people, while still making sure they actually have the resource packs!

18. Backlash404

Backlash404 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I just tested it and it wont work currently if you dont own a pack, like me, with a Tabard or other item in it.
    However I am the creator of the program and just made a quick update and sent it to Jesse. So after that versions up it should work in any situation. When I added the save file feature I didn't even think about using it like that. Great idea!

19. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Thanks @Backlash404 :)

I also never thought about that potential feature - now it is easy to even share characters, too.

At any rate, I updated the download with the latest version that corrects this and also adjusts the layer ordering (so if you change the order of a layer, it changes position on the list logically).

20. ElieTaping

ElieTaping Zzz... Sleep Sleep Sleep~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Holy chr1st! This is awesomely sick!