Atlas Rose

Jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So, I'm sure we've all played games that made us wish we could spend more time with characters before they were swiftly set on the back burner for the story to move on. I have to wonder though, what is it that makes us want to see more of a character? Is it the mystery? Are they extremely relatable or likable? Are they just so drastically different that we want to see how they would react to circumstances the game never presented them with? While all of these could be true for different characters, there's probably a myriad more explanations. What are some characters you wanted to spend more time with, and why did you feel that way?

Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
freya from FFIX, she was giving very little growth after the destruction of cerya, and she had a great back story and would of loved to see how she developed instead of basicly being a background character in the party who never changes what so ever....

Nade-sama01

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
I think that the character must be very well defined and not only just be there... feel him/her real.

See dialogues and different expressions in certain situations is fun.

The characters that I want to know more... I'll say all the ones from Ace Attorney! Every single character is perfectly defined, with some curiosities like talents, hobbies, past stories, way of talking, etc.

Games where all the characters are like the same are monotonous and boring, if no character gets your attention you'll probably won't keep playing. Still is not easy, making a good character may take a looong time for sure, I'm actually reading a book for story development and what I can say is that the story and the characters as well must be organic, grow and change slightly with time.

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I get really attached to characters so there's a LOT I want to spend more time with. In most recent memory...

Bedman from Guilty Gear leaves me dying for him to get more screen time. Not only because I enjoyed his character, but because as a relatively new cast member not much is known about him yet. I'm dying to know his backstory and more solid information about him. He's fascinating. Also Balan from ToX/ToX2 - for an NPC he got quite a bit of screen time, but I want more : ( because I just love everything about this character and he makes me smile. I compensate for this by just drawing a million fanart of him haha (This is how I cope with leaving a lot of characters' games; I just take them with me.)

BigToastie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
A good back story for me is key to get me to feel for a character. After that I like to see the characters develop individually as events unfold in a game.

If you, for instance, have made a character very sympathetic and helpful, hearing of a town blow up I don't want her to just say "oh no", characters need to play on their intended likeability.

The hardest part for me is to create a really interesting but non cliché antagonist, and as the story progresses you want to know more of his origins.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm very much a "character guy", and I'm not sure whether I'm unique or common in being this way, but the characters themselves - their relationships, personalities, aspirations, and fates - are usually more important to me than any of the action, plot, or larger story arcs.  A few well-presented likable traits, or even just a few witty lines of dialogue, is enough to get me completely invested in a character (and a cool artistic character design can do a lot for me as well).

There are way too many characters in games and other media that I've felt some form of attachment or affection for, and wanted to see more of them than the story ultimately allowed for.  Among a few that come to mind immediately as likable but relatively overshadowed characters for which I would grasp onto any scene that gave them a moment in the sun: Raphael from Phantom Brave, Tielle from Recettear, Guy and Peony from Tales of the Abyss, the priestesses from Jade Cocoon 2, Nanako and Dojima from Persona 4, Lupin and Luna from Harry Potter, Yasu from Nana, Iroh from Avatar, Yukine from the original Clannad (who did get time in the sun in After Story), Jack from Life or Something Like It, and at least a dozen characters from Game of Thrones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My entire family and I have Covid... If it's this bad with the vaccine, without must be terrible. Stay safe, everyone. This thing is a doozy.
Ugh. Head heavy with sick juice. I wish I could work on my stuff. o_O
GZZPUeX.png

Overflow Form
I'm coming back to my work with Learn RPG Maker MV. Soon I'll be posting previews screenshots for my "paterons"! :guffaw:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aubycringe