Character sizes of different RPG Makers

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by Leon27, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Leon27

Leon27 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Currently, i have RPG Maker MV and also RPG Maker 2003.
    I found the default characters in RM2K3 are "taller", whereas the characters in RMMV are more "squat".

I measured the given characters pixel size, and i roughly found this:

RPG Maker 2003 = 16 wide x 26 tall (against the tile size of 16x16, that would make it a scale of 1 : 1.6)
    RPG Maker MV = 32 wide x 43 tall (against the tileset of 48x48, that would make it a scale of 0.6 : 0.9)

So, i conclude that the default characters in MV are indeed more "squat".

I do not like such short characters. Therefore, this makes MV not attractive for me.
    I underdstand that, we can stretch the characters to become taller. But, the standard tilesets (doors, furniture) seem to match the short characters. Therefore in MV, everything is short! And i guess that, most commercial (paid) tilesets available are also short!

Unfortunately, this rules out RMMV for me. Quite a deal breaker.
    This is unfortunate, because RMMV seems to have the most resources available (third party tilesets, plugins, etc).

I am considering other RPG Makers.
    (i am OK with the character height of RM2K3. But the chipset format is too difficult for me, also there are hardly any third party tilesets which i need)

Now my question is, may i know the character sizes for: RPG Maker XP and also RPG Maker VX?

I am hoping they are similarly tall as RM2K3, therefore i could consider it for my project.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Ebanyle

Ebanyle Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I don't know about exact ratios but the XP characters are possibly the most taller, with a character cell commonly measuring 32x48. This "squat" trend started with RPG Maker VX, of which continued to VX/Ace and MV. You are not alone as there are various people who prefer the taller characters, and some still do resources in a similar ratio to that of XP. For example, various Resource Staff Release/RPG Maker Freebies (I don't recall correctly which one :'D) includes the RTP characters taller. Unfortunately, it is true that most VXA/MV resources are for the small characters, and if you switch to XP you'll have a hard time since it is way less supported than the most recent engines. You could buy XP and use it's RTP's, though I don't know if they fit in RMMV and their color palettes can clash with most recent resources.

3. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you can make taller characters in MV, there are taller bases around this forum.

you can aslo make the character you create in the generator taller as well. the size dont really matter though.
    for a single character, use $ else teh sheet for 8 characters, make sure the rows and columns are correctly divided though

4. Hyouryuu-Na

Hyouryuu-Na Poker-faced girl who is on a break Veteran

First Language:
    Bangla/Bengali
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The default resources for MV are indeed very unattractive, to me at least. But fortunately there are many resources made my people with the tall style. You can use tall bases to create tall characters. Resizing doors and trees aren't that hard and don't look bad. You can search the forum or places like deviantart for resources that match your taste

Leon27 likes this.
  5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Leon27
    All engines can handle any size of sprites, none is required to use the defaults.
    The problem is just that having a complete set of resources is either a lot of work or expensive.

If you want to use taller characters in MV, then you can either purchase two makers and resize the RTP of one to be used in the other, or purchase one of the sets from the store that already are in the different size.
    One example of such are the "Medieval" packs from PVGames:
    https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/rpg-maker-mv-tileset/medieval-town-country