Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi guys,

I have a lot of tiles in 32x32 that I successfully scaled up to 48x48. So I can go with this now.

However, I always used mack style sprites (e.g. this) which were 32x48 or XP RTP styles which were 32x64.

So if I want to use a mack sprite that was 32x48 on 32x32 tiles I would have to remake it to 48x72 so have the same proportions as before on 48x48 tiles, right?

I know this sounds extrem logically but I just want to make sure.

wizaerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So somewhat related to this, I'm using the regular sized tilesets that came with MV, but I wish to use different characters that are not even on both height and width (not 48x48).  To ensure the best compatibility with MV, should I be more concerned with making the height or the width 48?  I was thinking height so he'd look more natural with the basic tileset, which would result in a 32x48 character. This would still be usable on the map and in the side view battle, right? To focus on width would make the character 48x72.

And what would I have to do differently as far as using these characters in RPG Maker?  Sorry, but I've never, ever mucked about with trying to use anything other than what was in RPGM or specifically made for RPGM, but I really want to branch out due to the diversity of character available is non-uniform 48x48 sizes...

Last edited by a moderator:

AlecMachet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Personally, I think taller characters look better than wider ones. As far as using them goes, RPG Maker automatically divides character sheets into 8 rows and 12 columns for 8 sets of characters (or 4 rows and 3 columns if you use the $name format for the filename) by default, so you can use any combination of heights and widths with those restraints.

wizaerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
But the rows and columns have to be the same size? So if I go with the taller character, my sprite sheet should include 4 rows and 3 columns of 70x70 (I mis-typed the height above, I said 72 when in fact it should be 70)...  Whereas if I went with the shorter character, I'd still make a 48x48 sheet, right?  (I'll have to experiment to see which one looks better...)

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You can make your characters ANY size you want -- 20x100, 55x10, whatever. You just need to make sure every column/row is the same size. See my sprite formatting video in my sig if you need help. You do NOT need any side to be 48px, and they do not have to be square.

wizaerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanx Tommy Gun, I'll take a look at the video when I get home...

AlecMachet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
If you want to have different characters be different dimensions they would have to be on different sprite sheets.

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
If you want to have different characters be different dimensions they would have to be on different sprite sheets.
Well, not exactly -- the sheet would just have to have a grid as big as the largest character. So you might be wasting some space.

noctiluca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For reference I think 48x72 pixel tall sprites look fine with most of the stock tilesets. Some things like shelves or vending machines, tables and counters actually look way better with a taller sprite. The only problem tiles are things like trees or street lamps, objects that are supposed to be considerably larger than the characters. For whatever reason the default sets make these things the same height as a bookcase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Nightmare... Dreamt I posted a GFX resource post. With a work in progress glove icon that tinted to different colors. In the wrong forum. And I was in such a panic. I saw people writing posts in response, those "..." you see in discord and such. So I frantically tried to report my post as wrong forum, editing to say it's the wrong forum and that I "accidentally" posted it too early... Very odd dream to be honest...
The youngest photo of you is also the oldest photo of you.
People need to stop submitting their game to every single game jam without even reading the jam rules (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mom tested positive for COVID thanks to a single stupid coworker of hers not taking sh*t serious.
I'll prolly won't be on here for a while as we deal with this.
So before I inevitably start a new project to reorganize myself (I will make sure to save important info dw), I will make an external list of what I want in the final database.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Siri