Character Sprite Size Problem

SofiaTH

SofiaTH
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there! I'm newbie here and I already stumbled upon a little problem at the start of making a game.
I got a Trial RPG Maker MV today to test the program out before buying it. I made custom resources with the help of templates before hand and thought everything will work out fine but it didn't.
My Character Sprite ended up being corrupted and I don't know how to fix this issue without destroying the quality of the original image.
IMG_20200602_013628.jpgIMG_20200602_013647.jpg
Is there a way to fix this? What is a default size (dimensions) of character sprites? Is there a way to make a character longer and bigger than the default?

I'd really appreciate any advice or feedback!
Thank you so much!

Cormorant42

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, so the way sprites work in MV is kinda stupid. Spritesheets must fit into one of two categories: "Normal" or "Large". Keep in mind those have nothing to do with the actual size of the sprites.

"Normal" spritesheets MUST consist of 8 total characters, arranged in two rows of 4, so that they're indexed as follows:

As long as each sprite is 3 frames wide and 4 frames tall, and all the frames on the spritesheet are the same size, you can resize the sprites to whatever size you want.

"Large" spritesheets are exactly the same, except they only feature one character. "Large" spritesheets are prefixed by a "$", as in "$Actor1" or "$MySprite" (you can find examples of this in the characters folder). Like Normal spritesheets, the sprites themselves can be any size you want, as long as all the frames are the same size and there are 4 rows and 3 columns:

0 1 2
3 4 5
6 7 8
9 10 11

For your sprite I'd recommend putting it on a normal spritesheet with six "blank" characters...two beside it on the same row, and four on the row below it.

Did that make sense?

SofiaTH

SofiaTH
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, so the way sprites work in MV is kinda stupid. Spritesheets must fit into one of two categories: "Normal" or "Large". Keep in mind those have nothing to do with the actual size of the sprites.

"Normal" spritesheets MUST consist of 8 total characters, arranged in two rows of 4, so that they're indexed as follows:

As long as each sprite is 3 frames wide and 4 frames tall, and all the frames on the spritesheet are the same size, you can resize the sprites to whatever size you want.

"Large" spritesheets are exactly the same, except they only feature one character. "Large" spritesheets are prefixed by a "$", as in "$Actor1" or "$MySprite" (you can find examples of this in the characters folder). Like Normal spritesheets, the sprites themselves can be any size you want, as long as all the frames are the same size and there are 4 rows and 3 columns:

0 1 2
3 4 5
6 7 8
9 10 11

For your sprite I'd recommend putting it on a normal spritesheet with six "blank" characters...two beside it on the same row, and four on the row below it.

Did that make sense?
Understood! It worked! Thank you so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

lunarrosecrow wrote on hiddenone's profile.
please don't lurk hiddenone I'm quarantining!!!
lunarrosecrow wrote on Edward.T's profile.
Hello Edward sorry to bother you and didn't start a conversation cause I thought i'd be a little weird or disrespectful but I was wondering do you still have your Generator resources you posted as the links on the page are dead?
Stream will be live shortly! It is my birthday, and thus I am doing an extended stream! I will be doing a variety of things. Among the activities I will be doing: Playing Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas, art, and some Text Adventure~ Feel free to drop by!
It would be cool if you could "copy as code" event commands :< .
Just managed to recover my Yahoo e-mail that i lost 3 months ago. Turns out an IP from U.S had hacked it and set the pass back to normal.. Like WTF ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannyBee21