leekeater

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello!
I'm fairly new at this this and I'm definitely having trouble with dimensions for sprites.

I will post images that will help.

I'm having trouble reworking dimensions for the sprite sheet of one of the characters in my game. I know she is too tall (her bunny ears) and shortening them would make them look weird (more like a bear's). Right now the file is the default for sprite sheets (576 x 384) and I have no idea how to get the exact dimensions to get her and her bunny ears looking right and moving in the game normally. I have tried changing the canvas size manually but at this point it feels like I'm just putting random numbers in.

Please help!!! Thank you!

Attachments

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What I suggest you do is put her on her own sprite sheet. Look to see how big a single image is. For the sake of this example, let us say that she is 52 pixels wide because of the pony tail on the side view and 62 pixels high.

Create a sprite sheet that is 3 x 52 wide = 156 pixels and 4 x 62 high = 248 pixels. Put your sprite on there. The engine doesn't care what size it is, as long as the numbers are divisible by 8. Then when you name that file, put $ at the beginning. That tells the engine that this is a single sprite, not one sprite on a sheet of 8 sprites.

I am going to move this to Resource Support, which is the forum for getting help with creating resources.

leekeater

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I suggest you do is put her on her own sprite sheet. Look to see how big a single image is. For the sake of this example, let us say that she is 52 pixels wide because of the pony tail on the side view and 62 pixels high.

Create a sprite sheet that is 3 x 52 wide = 156 pixels and 4 x 62 high = 248 pixels. Put your sprite on there. The engine doesn't care what size it is, as long as the numbers are divisible by 8. Then when you name that file, put $ at the beginning. That tells the engine that this is a single sprite, not one sprite on a sheet of 8 sprites.

I am going to move this to Resource Support, which is the forum for getting help with creating resources.
I tried to do what you asked and I can't tell what I'm messing up on. :S
This is what I tried,

All the files were named with "$".

Attachments

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
on photoshop you have a special command to creat a guide
no need more calcul the resolution or size.
Just use the split by 8
but i dont know your sofware, , try search if you have a similar command like guide layout from psp.

you can also read the F1 guide in rmmv to understand the formula.
Or web guide here
https://rmmv.neocities.org/

Characters (img/characters)
Images shown for the characters on the map.
The size for a character image can be changed freely (normally 48x48), and consist of 4 directions (down, left, right, up) and 3 patterns for a total of 12 patterns that will be arranged in the provided order. A file for 1 character will be arranged into 2 rows and 4 columns equaling 8 images. The size of the character will be calculated using 1/12 of the width and 1/8 of the height of this file. Moreover, characters will be shown 6 pixels above tile so that they appear more natural when on top of buildings.
  • It is possible treat 1 character as 1 file by including "$" at the beginning of the file name.
  • Including a "!" at the beginning of the file name will prevent the image from being shifted 6 pixels and will no longer appear half transparent by bush elements. This is primarily used for objects found in the map such as doors and treasure chests.
  • It is also possible to use the "$" and "!" special characters together.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
All the empty space on the right and bottom has completely changed the size and shape of the cells. Think of each cell as a picture frame. The frames are exactly the same size as each other, and the picture of the characters has to be placed inside that frame. Your image needs to be exactly the size of 3 frames wide and 4 frames tall.

In your very first image you were having problems partially because you were trying to put together sprites with different size cells. RPG Maker just cuts it apart by dividing, kind of like if you had a piece of paper and folded it up. You can't have random blank spaces because there's nothing telling the engine what it should and shouldn't use in the image.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

tomorrow I'ma go on a cruise for the first time ever... lets hope I'll survive the experience!
Omg! 8 years in this forum :o
Ksi
Streaming the last of the RMN Valentiny event games so feel free to drop on by and watch me cry (whether that's from laughter, rage or sheer pain, who knows?)
Today I went to sleep without setting an alarm, so I could sleep more than 2 hours. I woke up after 2 hours.
Sigh :( ... displaying numbers representing the stats of the PCs for a custom menu in rm2k3 is haaaaaaaarrrd!!! DX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevechtrs