VoxSyreni

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi there nice to meet everyone ^^ this is my first post.

I am looking at the spritesheets for RPG Maker MV and I take they need to consistently be 48x48 per sprite. This leaves pixel art as the only option on the surface at least. But what If I want character sprites with cleaner lines? What If I want to make medium to high resolution traditional artwork and use that for sprites?

I'd imagine it is possible, but 2 solutions come to mind.

1. Draw spritesheet and shrink it down. Boom done. But would that look good at all? Hopefully it is possible to make it look good because this would be the easier to the 2 options.

2. Upscale the 48x48 pixel size instead, sounds like a pain in the neck, seeing as everything in rpg maker mv is probably calibrated to this size.

Anyways anyone who has a bit more experience than me who can lend me their 2 cents?

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it myself. Also sorry if it is located wrong, I am a scrub on this forum to please bare with me.

Last edited:

Celestrium

Worldsmith
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not everything has to be 48 x 48, that is the default and easiest to work with. Walking character sprites can be more than that, and many objects can be more than that and then edited into the 48 x 48 tiles. Doodads can be placed freely in the 48 x 48 grid with the Doodad Editor made by Visustella. Hudell's Cyclone plug-ins and the Tiled program on itch.io allow for different size tiles as well and introduce additional options. The greatest mappers of RPGMaker use parallax mapping to overcome this limitation as well, something you should look into.
I have seen people use photos for artwork, you don't need to use pixel art.

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Cleaner lines can be achieved with some tricks like using darker colors instead of black lines for the outer lines (Street fighter and arksys love this).

Check Metal Slug even if its pixel art, their level of detail and definition are awesome, also Metal Slug sprites can fit on a 48*48 box and look super detailed, what magic do they use? :kaomad2:

VoxSyreni

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not everything has to be 48 x 48, that is the default and easiest to work with. Walking character sprites can be more than that, and many objects can be more than that and then edited into the 48 x 48 tiles. Doodads can be placed freely in the 48 x 48 grid with the Doodad Editor made by Visustella. Hudell's Cyclone plug-ins and the Tiled program on itch.io allow for different size tiles as well and introduce additional options. The greatest mappers of RPGMaker use parallax mapping to overcome this limitation as well, something you should look into.
I have seen people use photos for artwork, you don't need to use pixel art.

I was gonna use Parallax mapping to create a more cartoony and less pixalated style, but that would clash with pixel art characters. Hence why I am wondering how to deal with that.

Are you saying character sprites can be any size? But wouldn't that conflict with the default settings of RPG Maker MV? If I try to load in a character sheets that is much larger wouldn't it load in akwardly?

I looked up Doodads and it seems like this is specifically addressing freedom in terms of objects for mapping and while this might prove useful, isn't about the characters which is where my worry stems.

Thank you a lot for your swift input

Cleaner lines can be achieved with some tricks like using darker colors instead of black lines for the outer lines (Street fighter and arksys love this).

Check Metal Slug even if its pixel art, their level of detail and definition are awesome, also Metal Slug sprites can fit on a 48*48 box and look super detailed, what magic do they use? :kaomad2:

Sounds interesting, I will deffinitely look into that if I end up going with pixel art!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you saying character sprites can be any size?
yes
no maker ever has limited the sprite size, they even have a "big monster" sprite as an example for larger sprites.
the only problem with that is that the collision is still limited to the 48x48 grid box of the original sprite.
and the editor clips the sprite, but that is editor only because you need to be able to click on the tiles next to the events with big sprites, in the engine the full sprite will be used.

VoxSyreni

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
N/A
yes
no maker ever has limited the sprite size, they even have a "big monster" sprite as an example for larger sprites.
the only problem with that is that the collision is still limited to the 48x48 grid box of the original sprite.
and the editor clips the sprite, but that is editor only because you need to be able to click on the tiles next to the events with big sprites, in the engine the full sprite will be used.

So bigger sizes would conflict with collision and stuff? That was basically what I would be expecting. Would prefer to avoid that hassle.

So I guess I am back to the idea of shrinking the images to fit the 48x48, but that still begs the question wether or not it will look good or not.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you saying character sprites can be any size?
Yes, they can be any size you want as long as you follow the formatting. (3x4 per chara, 4x2 per sheet)
Only the collision will stay 48x48, so you can walk through them.
This is what Andar talkin about.

Editor view:
1607009855221.png
Actual gameplay:
rm - bigmonster.gif

Walking behind the top giving the 3d layer impression, you might want it that way.
If you don't mind a little bit walking through, don't make it exactly 48x48, because it feels like they can never "touch" each other.
Most of the time a little bit of overlapping is actually good.
Make it like 64x96.
Make fully use of that overlapping trait.

Last edited:

gothicvoid

[GothicVoid]
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@VoxSyreni also
If you use Yanflys Hitbox plugin you can modify the number of tiles for the collision by simply putting in a comment to increase the base by one(or more) left and/or right; up and/or down of the initial collision tile.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So bigger sizes would conflict with collision and stuff?
that depends on what exactly you want as sprites.
For example check the screenshots of the High Fantasy or Medieval packages in the shop, the ones that use rendered sprites.
Those sprites use tall sprites, with a sprite usually 144x48 (or 96x32) pixel, and indeed they have the collision limited to the feet area of the sprite.
But the entire tiles are for the same perspective, and that "feet" area is where the person is really standing, so it fits perfectly together and no one finds anything strange with that collision limit.

VoxSyreni

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
N/A
that depends on what exactly you want as sprites.
For example check the screenshots of the High Fantasy or Medieval packages in the shop, the ones that use rendered sprites.
Those sprites use tall sprites, with a sprite usually 144x48 (or 96x32) pixel, and indeed they have the collision limited to the feet area of the sprite.
But the entire tiles are for the same perspective, and that "feet" area is where the person is really standing, so it fits perfectly together and no one finds anything strange with that collision limit.

Well I would prefer for the characters to stay within their hitboxes as I wasn't planning on using tall sprites. But I also hoped I could find a way to fit in art that isn't pixelated on that limited amount of space.

But it is very fascinating and educational to hear that people has managed tall sprites with alternate perspective.

Yes, they can be any size you want as long as you follow the formatting. (3x4 per chara, 4x2 per sheet)
Only the collision will stay 48x48, so you can walk through them.
This is what Andar talkin about.

Editor view:
View attachment 169693
Actual gameplay:
View attachment 169692

Walking behind the top giving the 3d layer impression, you might want it that way.
If you don't mind a little bit walking through, don't make it exactly 48x48, because it feels like they can never "touch" each other.
Most of the time a little bit of overlapping is actually good.
Make it like 64x96.
Make fully use of that overlapping trait.

That is a really nice visual aid for the collision thing. I just wanna thank you for going above and beyond with your reply. ^^

VoxSyreni

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you all for your help. I think I found a solution so the thread can be closed.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Chilling out while toodling around someone's painstaking Minecraft recreation of Disneyland. It is mind-boggling and probably as close as I'll ever be to going.
>Testing with fonts change.
>Tries installing a plugin. Doesn't work.
>Tries changing the plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Tries installing another plugin. Doesn't work.
>Changes a few more plugin commands. Doesn't work.
>Goes directly to the gamefont file and changes the src. Works.

YYEEEAAAAHHHAAAA

Perseverance is key, bois and girls.
What Reviews say on RPG Maker MZ?
Looking back at some sketches, and game design documents on my PC dated summer of 2015. I started development with the release of MZ, but in 2015, I felt a strong desire to make a game out of the blue. I remember feeling sad for no apparent reason, and all these ideas rushed into my head. Now that I think about it, since that day, everything has become easier to do on my PC . . . it’s very creepy.
Everything's going to be alright! We're all in this together. <3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soicaukubetim