Charge Turn Battle (CTB) System (Final Fantasy X / Tactics style)

Discussion in 'RGSS Scripts (RMXP)' started by MobiusXVI, Feb 22, 2015.

1. MobiusXVI

MobiusXVI Game Maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Mobius's Charge Turn Battle System 1.2

by

MobiusXVI
    Release Notes
    v. 1.0 Initial Release
    v. 1.1 Customizable Turn Icons
    v. 1.2 Beastiary Expansion

Introduction
    This script overhauls the default battle system and replaces it with a "CTB" system similar to Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy X. Battlers now use their speed to charge up a hidden turn gauge, and when it's full, they get a turn immediately. This causes turns to alternate in a semi-predictable order, making for a more strategic battle system.

Features
    - Customizable "charge rate" formula: you can use any stat to determine turn order and adjust it to fit your experience curve
    - Dedicated turn window so you'll always know whose turn is next.
    - Weapons/Skills/Items can be set to boost/hamper speed when used, allowing you to create "quick attack" skills that let the user act sooner or "mega-death" skills that use up two turns.
    - Designate specific enemies as "bosses" which will give them a special icon.
    - Can customize the turn icons on a per actor or per enemy basis
    - Customize the "escape" term
    - Built-in "scan" skill that's easy to set up and use.
    - Optional expansion to add icons for states, removing the boring state text.
    - Optional expansion to add a beastiary

Screenshots
    Standard battle system

[​IMG]
    Battle System with "Status Icons" expansion
    [​IMG]

Video of v1.2 in action!

How to Use
    Download the zip file below and unzip it. Import the EnemyIcons pictures into your project into the "pictures" folder.
    Open the text file containing the script and copy/paste it into the script editor below all of the default scripts but above Main.

Download
    Download everything you'll need: here

FAQ
    Q. Can this do _______?
    A. Maybe! Leave a post on the forum, and I might just add the feature if it can't already do it.

Credits and Thanks
    - MobiusXVI, author
    - TheRiotInside, for testing/feedback/suggestions
    - Mudkicker, for suggesting customizable turn icons

License
    This script is licensed under the MIT license, so you can use it for both commercial and non-commercial games!
    Check the included license file for the full text.
    Further, if you do decide to use this script in a commercial product, I'd ask that you
    let me know via a post here or a PM. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Valkyriet, JosephSeraph and luzi like this.
  2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Actually, if you look into FF wiki's the CTB of FFX means conditional turn based... XD

Anyway, this seems nice... Can't really say anything else though as it's for XP...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
  3. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Charge Turn is FFT and Conditional is FFX, they function differently :)

Rukiri and JosephSeraph like this.
  4. Mudkicker

Mudkicker Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Can this be edited so that the turn bar on the side shows actor icons which are placed in the "Pictures" folder? Same for the enemy battlers.

5. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
    The enemy battlers already use icons from the pictures folder; there are some default ones included with the download. The naming convention is "enemy1", "enemy2", etc. As long as you don't change the names, you can edit those to be whatever you want. Keep in mind though that if you make them bigger, some of it will get cut off. As for actors, I could edit it to also look for icons, but it will take some time. 

6. Mudkicker

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, but it shows icons for enemy battler number 1, 2, 3 etc, right? I meant if it could show icons for enemy names in the database. Would be cool :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  7. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
    Ah, ok. I gotcha. I'll take a look and see what I can come up with.

8. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
    Hey Mudkicker, I just released v1.1 which adds customizing the turn icons on a per actor and/or per enemy basis! 

9. Mudkicker

First Language:
    English
    Exactly what I had in mind, though I can't seem to get enemy icons working. I've tried setting a different suffix for enemies but it still showed me the 32x32 box.

10. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
    There was a bug. It was trying to use the enemy name plus prefix when looking for filenames. So instead of "Ghost_Turn_Order_Icon", it was looking for "A: Ghost_Turn_Order_Icon" or something like that. It's been fixed and posted to Github.

11. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
    Version 1.2 released! Adds the beastiary expansion as well as simplifying the status icon expansion. Check out all the great new features! 

slimmmeiske2 likes this.
  12. Blinn

Blinn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just installed the script today and the charge system looks perfect for the game I'm making. However, when I go to open the game, I get this error:

[​IMG]

Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: I just looked up and saw that this is an XP script. I'm using Ace. Oops. ._.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  13. Claydo

Claydo Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Is there someplace to get those state icons?

14. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
  15. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Nice resources and script! I haven´t use XP in a long while but I may download it again just to experiment a bit with this. Ah, nostalgia...

MobiusXVI likes this.
  16. Kavaline

Kavaline GameDev Member

First Language:
    Português
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Nice script!

...all actions take the CT to 0 (consume 100 or all CT), or can edit how much CT each action consume?
    Example:
    Attacks: -80 CT
    Skills: -100 CT
    Guard: -40 CT
    Items: -70 CT
    Regular Attack with 2H Blade category: -90 CT
    Regular Attack of Actor ID 4: -70 CT
    Skills of ID group [9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30]: -120 CT (take to negative value, so the next turn will take a long time)
    And so on

17. MobiusXVI

First Language:
    English
    Thanks!

To answer your question, yes, it can! By default every action consumes the total amount of CT (The total amount is configurable as well). You can then set 'factors' for nearly everything else (a factor is just a penalty or bonus to the amount consumed). Basic attacks serve as the baseline so you can't change them, but to match your example you could do this:

CHARGE_BAR_TOTAL = 80 (Normal attacks know use 80 CT)
    SKILL_SPEED_FACTORS.default = -20 (Skills by default now use 80 then another 20 = 100 CT)
    DEFEND_SPEED_FACTOR = 40 (Defend now uses 80 CT then gets 40 CT back as a bonus, so total CT usage is -40)
    ITEM_SPEED_FACTORS.default = 10 (Items by default now use 80 CT then gets 10 CT back as a bonus, so total CT usage is -70)
    You can fill the WEAPON_SPEED_FACTORS with the IDs that you want to adjust to make them slower.
    You *can't* specify an actor to receive a permanent boost, but you could give the actor unique weapons that are faster or special skills which are faster.
    Using the SKILL_SPEED_FACTORS, you can fill it with the IDs that you want to be slower.

The customization section of the script has more information and instructions on exactly how to configure everything.

Kavaline likes this.
  18. Kavaline

Kavaline GameDev Member

First Language:
    Português
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Awesome!
    I have other doubts, but will test first and edit if have any question or suggestion, you alread think in a lots of possibilities.