Skymin

Shadow Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was wondering if it was possible in the default database in MZ to be able to have powerful magic spells that require a charge up time similar to the "Legend of Heroes" games if anyone played them? In short, you "chant" the spell on your first turn, then get to actually unleash it on the following turn. I've tried using the -priority mechanic, but all that does is make my follow-up turn take longer than usual; the character will still use the spell I currently selected right then and there.

Pokemon's "Sky Attack" or "Solarbeam" also applies here for more examples.

Lastly, I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference, but I'm using the OtB (Octopack Battler) battle system from Olivia.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
I was wondering if it was possible in the default database in MZ to be able to have powerful magic spells that require a charge up time similar to the "Legend of Heroes" games if anyone played them? In short, you "chant" the spell on your first turn, then get to actually unleash it on the following turn. I've tried using the -priority mechanic, but all that does is make my follow-up turn take longer than usual; the character will still use the spell I currently selected right then and there.

Pokemon's "Sky Attack" or "Solarbeam" also applies here for more examples.

Lastly, I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference, but I'm using the OtB (Octopack Battler) battle system from Olivia.
By using default database it won't be possible i think...
the closest thing i can think of maybe workaround the behaviour a little bit... and by using states...

create state A that will stun for one turn.
create state B that will remove the charging skill and add the charged skill for two turn.
create the charging skill that will apply both state A and B to user for two turn

thus in theory the actor will stun itself for one second... and in the next turn the state A will wear off and he can act and unleash the charged skill... but it's not automatic use... you must choose the skill again from the menu to use it at that turn... then in next turn the state B will wear off and change the charged skill back to charging skill...

to achieve exactly like you want... you might need plugins... maybe plugin to force actor to use a certain skill when affected by that state...

but maybe there's also another work around that other people in this forum might know :D.

hope this help.

Skymin

Shadow Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I appreciate the response, but that style would be tedious with the OtB battle format since I can imagine people easily forgetting and wanting to attempt different spells to gauge enemy weaknesses.
With a proper charge up, people would be forced to remain locked into the spell of their choice for the following turn as a "risk it all" sort; so automatic would probably work better here.

I don't mind seeking a plugin, paid or otherwise for such a feature so I'm all ears if someone knows of one.

Worst case scenario, I'll just need a way to figure out how to get the "spell casting/chanting" animation to come back in an OtB battle system since by default OtB skips it altogether.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
I appreciate the response, but that style would be tedious with the OtB battle format since I can imagine people easily forgetting and wanting to attempt different spells to gauge enemy weaknesses.
With a proper charge up, people would be forced to remain locked into the spell of their choice for the following turn as a "risk it all" sort; so automatic would probably work better here.

I don't mind seeking a plugin, paid or otherwise for such a feature so I'm all ears if someone knows of one.

Worst case scenario, I'll just need a way to figure out how to get the "spell casting/chanting" animation to come back in an OtB battle system since by default OtB skips it altogether.
some other possibilities is using visustella skills and states core... (don't know will it compatible with your Battle system) and using the advanced notetags which utilize JS script...
Code:
<JS On Erase State>
 code
 code
</JS On Erase State>

then maybe input the code to run common event when the state erased... and in that common event force the actor to use charged skill that target last target...

i don't use visustella but maybe in general it would be like this:
1. create state A that stun for 2 turn (so at the end of turn 2 we will launch the charged skill)
2. create a charging skill that target enemy... set the damage formula to none so no damage popup... then maybe give the enemy invisible state... then make the skill run common event X... in that common event... add state A to the actor using the charging skill...
3. create a charged skill that target enemy... set the damage formula to damage you want...
4. create common event Y... add event command to force action the actor you want to use charged skill to last target (since last target is the one you choose i think it should target the same one you target using your charging skill)...

so in summary you will need to create
1 state
2 skill
2 common event

then add in state A the notetags to execute the common event Y when the state removed (let's say it's common event 13 in this example)
Code:
<JS On Erase State>
$gameTemp.reserveCommonEvent(13);
</JS On Erase State>

i'm not 100% sure it will work though... need someone to try it :D.
hope this help.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Requests. Thank you.

Gigadragon78

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Look for NRP Charge Skills,you can find the autor in this site. His name is RyanBram.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Evening humans! How goes the game make?
The anime characters we saw 20 years ago,
still have the same age when we see them now.
Somehow it's strange but also beautiful.
It's like no matter how much we change,
there's certain part of ourselves we can reconnect to when we see them again.
Took a long, long time, way longer than it should to be honest...but I've finally finished the big content update to my demo!
Lots of not good things happening IRL but I'm not gonna let this day end like this. Quote time:
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

So, keep going, lads. Whatever you do keep going. Until next time.

It's a Spanish devlog don't get scared!. (please)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobcreator12