First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Plugin : Custom Resolutions
Version : 3.0.0
Author : Chaucer

Introduction :

This plugin will allow you to specify multiple custom resolutions and have them accessible to the player via the options menu in game. Alternatively you can disable the menu option via the plugin manager and the first specified resolution will be the resolution the game will use.

You can also add the ability to toggle full screen via the options menu in game, with the extra feature of disabling full screen by button press( F4 ).

You may also prevent the player from resizing the screen manually( dragging the edges of the game window ), however this is only applicable Windows/Mac/Linux deployed games, this feature will be ignored if the game is running as a web/android/ios deployed game.

Features :
  • Allow the player to pick from multiple resolutions.
  • Prevent player from manually resizing the screen.
  • Saves the games resolution and full screen settings.
  • Boots Game with the last used screen resolution, instead of resizing after window has launched( deployed games only ).
  • Able to define unlimited resolutions.
  • Full Screen on start option.
  • Automatically remove any resolutions specified that are larger than the players screen resolution.

Intstructions :

See help file, the plugin is virtually plugin and play, just specify the settings you want and it's good to go.​
As an added note this plugin does NOT support rpg maker versions below 1.6.0, as some of the calls used to make this plugin work, don't function the same way in older versions of nwjs.​

Download :
[Download here]

Terms Of Use :

This Plugin may be used commercially, or non commercially. This plugin may
be extended upon, and or shared freely as long as credit is given to it's
author(s). This plugin may NOT be sold, or plagiarized.

Last edited:

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Plugin has been updated to version 2.0.0!

Changes :
  • Plugin was rewritten, comments were added, help file updated.
  • INSTANT resolution & full screen change for deployed games!
  • If one resolution is defined, the resolution parameter in the options menu will not appear.
  • Plugin now changes resolution, and NOT screen size.
  • Users can define unlimited resolutions instead of just 5.
  • Prevent stretching is now optional.
  • Rewrote plugin and help file.
If anyone finds any issues please let me know :)

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Plugin updated to 2.1.0.

• Added full screen on startup option.
  • Added Flexible resolution parameter( Allows the screen to make slight alterations in order to fit odd aspect ratio's ).
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the user from changing resolutions once one has been set already.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi chaucer! I'm having a problem with this lovely plugin.

It kinda bugs as long as I have YEP_CoreEngine on.
I've set my resolution in there, too (1280x720) and added yours just to get the window screen stretch prevention.
But if I run my game, the screen starts way bigger (and stretched horizontal) until I click the frame, than it snaps to the set resolution.

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for this info @Plueschkatze, I'm looking into this issue now, :D I'll have an update for you shortly.

edit : Actually, I just tested it with the new version of my plugin i was debugging, and the issue seems to have unintentionally been fixed, hah.

Plugin Update :
● Version : 2.4.0
● Date : 12/02/2018
★ Plugin now instantly resizes screen on launch for 1.6.0, even undeployed!
✩ Fixed crash which occurs randomly when game launches in full screen.
✩ Can now exit full screen when the game was launched in full screen.
✩ Fixed bug when changing resolutions while in full screen.
✩ Fixed resizing issue when changing to full screen.
✩ Fixed issue with YEP_Core.

Hopefully this helps, if you have any other issues don't hesitate to let me know.~

Last edited:

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sorry for a second post in a row...

I found another bug.
If I minimize the game and max it again, the resolution is weird again.
(getting a black bar on the left and right again)

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No problem at all @Plueschkatze I'm more than happy to fix any bugs you find :D I'm going to take a look into this right now i'll message you with an update asap.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I found compatibility issues with these plugins, they don't update to the new resolution format properly, causing aligment issues.

https://atelierrgss.wordpress.com/rmv-battle-hud/
https://atelierrgss.wordpress.com/rmv-actor-picture-cm/

Also, could we define our own folders for some of the elements in different resolutions? For example, so that we can do Full HD battle layouts and such. Something like this VX Ace plugin did.

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/resolution-selection-script.33783/

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Plugin updated!

● Version : 2.5.0
● Date : 04/03/2018
★ Added prevent full screen toggle button.
★ Disabled Maximize button if prevent_stretching is enabled.
✩ Game now keeps resolution after minimize( credits to Plueschkatze @rmw ).

@Tuomo L I apologize brother, this is definitely one of the downfalls with allowing for more than one resolution, having to reposition, as it states in the plugins introduction though, this plugin does not resize/relocate any menus( I guess i should also add pictures to the list ), this type of stuff will not be added to the plugin for several reasons, this is something that I'll leave up to the developers, however I'll leave this info for you. If you want to reposition items in a specific plugin all you need to do, is find the sprite you want to relocate, based on the resolution, then add this code.

Code:
spriteIWantEdited = new Sprite(); // my example sprite( or image ).

sprite.x = 100;
sprite.y = 100;

// sometimes you'll see this too, it does the same thing.

sprite.move( 100, 100 ); // ( x, y );

// just add this code below where the position is set.
if ( ConfigManager.resolution === '1280x720' ) { // if the resolution is 1280x720,
 sprite.move( 50, 80 ); // move the sprite to x of 50, and y of 80

}
I apologize I can't do more, but It'd be really time consuming for me to add compatability for every UI/HUD/Menu, and I've got lots of other plugins that are still in development that need lots of attention. :D

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm.. Adding multiple resolution options to this plugin SHOULD provide you with the option to change resolution automatically, are you saying it does not give you Resolution options in the options menu when YEP Options Core is present? If not, did you try placing this plugin below YEP Options core? If it's still not appearing I'll take a look into this over this coming weekend ^^

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm.. Adding multiple resolution options to this plugin SHOULD provide you with the option to change resolution automatically, are you saying it does not give you Resolution options in the options menu when YEP Options Core is present? If not, did you try placing this plugin below YEP Options core? If it's still not appearing I'll take a look into this over this coming weekend ^^
I am not sure how to set it up for the core, since when I did it had only options "on and off" and not actual resolution options like I had listed in your plugin.

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright I'll fix this up this saturday brother ^^ thanks for letting me know.

Rito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Great pluggin

Is it possible to resize a background image ?
Or resize an image with a variable that would be indicated in the plugin, I do not know if it is possible.
Or maybe resize a window with a background image, it seems more feasible.
With Yanfly Core Engine, we can notice that the resolution is not the same.
Putting the plugin at the top or bottom of the list does not solve anything.
The "prevent_stretching" does not solve anything either.
Without your plugin, the basic resolution is good.

I have the same problem with Options Upgrade.
EDIT : By putting the plugin under Options Upgrade, it displays the command.
EDIT2 : The name of the command is resolution, quite simply
We can see it at the end of the script.

Last edited:

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Rito, thanks for the feedback, I've been aware of this issue since launch, however I've been a bit unsuccessful in coming up with a solution. I had looked into a way to redraw the background on the options menu, this issue is present even without any other plugins added in, the problem is that the background image is a static screenshot of the map, taken before the scene is transferred, so it's not possible to take a screenshot of the map again after resizing the screen.

I also thought about just scaling the background image up to the new resolution, however, that just will stretch the screen which makes for an awkward transfer when exiting the menu :/

Maybe I can add in some kind of custom menu background image, but then yeah, you don't get the whole "transparent menu" effect that you do by default, However I do have another idea to make it more aesthetically acceptable, however, it may take me some time to implement, I'll see what I can come up with over the weekend ^_^

Rito

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
@chaucer Is it possible to change the resolution after leaving the main menu ?
Or have the opportunity to delay it.

I just had an idea:

Depending on the chosen resolution, the plugin will set a predefined variable (chosen in your plugin) to such a value.
For example, we have 2 resolutions, 1280x720 and 1920x1080.
1280x720 will have the value 1.
1920x1080 will be 2.

In this case, one can differentiate the resolutions and display such image if such variable obtains such value.

The variable being saved, the loading of the image will not pose any problem to restart the game.

Exemple for the variable is 8 :
var _alias_SceneMenu_create = Scene_Menu.prototype.create;
var resolution= resolution || {};

ImageManager.loadMenuBackground = function(filename, hue) {
return this.loadBitmap('img/menu_background/', filename, hue, true);
};

Scene_Menu.prototype.create = function() {
this.customBackground();
_alias_SceneMenu_create.call(this);
};

Scene_Menu.prototype.customBackground = function() {

if ($gameVariables.value(8) === 1){ resolution.Main_MenuSelected = 'MainMenu_bg-720p';}

if ($gameVariables.value(8) === 2){ resolution.Main_MenuSelected = 'MainMenu_bg-1080p';}

this.createBackground();
};

Scene_Menu.prototype.createBackground = function() {
this._backgroundSprite = new Sprite();
if (resolution.Main_MenuSelected == "") { this._backgroundSprite.bitmap = SceneManager.backgroundBitmap(); }
else {this._backgroundSprite.bitmap = ImageManager.loadMenuBackground(resolution.Main_MenuSelected);}
this.addChild(this._backgroundSprite);
};
It's a bit raw, but I think there's a way to optimize that.
I made a little plugin that displays the backgrounds according to the menu, I can always adapt the image according to this variable and share it.

Last edited:

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, I intended to update this last weekend, but I ended up working on the weekend( also updated my scene stabilizer plugin ) as well ^^; so I'll try to get this done next week. Really sorry, and yeah something like that may work, if i can't get my other idea to work. ^^

Black Mamba

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
pt-br
Primarily Uses
its zoom out when i use higher resolution

SeaPhoenix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @chaucer! I'm interested in using this plugin because it disables manual resizing of the window and it launches the game automatically in the set resolution. However, I'd like the player to be able to enable fullscreen through the game's Options as well (and for the player's choice to be saved in the game's configuration), in addition to using F4.

Is this something you'd be interested in adding to your plugin? Thanks!

Note: SumRndmDde has a "Fullscreen Toggle Option" plugin which I was using, but it doesn't work in combination with your plugin (when enabling fullscreen through the Options screen, it moves the game window to the upper left without resizing it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

fighting game fans might really enjoy my game battle wise, and I feel non fighting fans might learn some stuff. thanks row system. pokes, neutral, and zoning time...
This community is awesome. They helped me get my eventing processes to work. I love you all.
suspended on twitter for calling an ahole an ahole & appealing the tweet; furious at myself for being even slightly upset with my suspension: oh no, you've been temporarily banned from hell. GET OVER IT, me.
how can you download the tiles from a forum post here? HELP
That moment when you post the wrong download link to your game and wonder why it got so few downloads... :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crayonchan