Checking if a specific skill is used during battle

theweirdnerd

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a very particular thing I want to do during a skill tutorial sequence. Basically, I want to set up a conditional branch that sees if the player has used a specific skill and only that specific skill, afterwards dialogue is triggered and the tutorial ends.

Another thing I thought of trying is setting up a conditional branch or a condition that checks if the player's health is over a specific amount (in battle, their health can be checked if it's a percentage or lower) I want to check if the health is a percentage or higher.

Either way is a way to accomplish what I want but figuring it out is tricky. Any advice is helpful!

Edits: I know the event editor has ways of checking if a party member has a skill, but I want to check if a certain party member used a skill. I.e. If you have Hotdog, burger, or steak. Check if hotdog used ketchup.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Attach a common event to the skill that sets a switch when it's used. Then make a battle event with the condition of that switch being on.

As for the health...well, they're going to start with their health being that high in the tutorial, right? So I'm not sure what you're going for. If you're teaching them how to heal or something, just do it the same as above, set a switch with the healing item/skill.

theweirdnerd

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Attach a common event to the skill that sets a switch when it's used. Then make a battle event with the condition of that switch being on.

As for the health...well, they're going to start with their health being that high in the tutorial, right? So I'm not sure what you're going for. If you're teaching them how to heal or something, just do it the same as above, set a switch with the healing item/skill
I created a variable then set it to that party members HP. Then set up a conditional branch that checks if that party members HP is over a specific amount, then trigger the dialogue.

The scene is this: This party member is injured and is put at 1 health. But their TP is set to 100. They have a skill that turns 100 TP into 100 HP. So once they use that skill, the tutorial ends. The HP variable way is more just assuming that the player used the skill. So I'll try both ways, see what works.

theweirdnerd

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Attaching a common event to the desired skill works! Thank you for the help!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

unintentionally made a track that sounds straight out of Yume Nikki
Revisiting one of my older projects in a long time to work some more on the mechanics. I've been working on- and off-again for about a year now on recreating the Force and Mystic systems from Wild ARMs. And I think I've finally made some good breakthroughs on that!

Still, it is not perfect and I may post my thoughts at a later time to see if there are any other suggestions or alternatives I've missed.
actor name string, why you gotta be case sensitive like that?
Doing RPG Maker News for 26th October 2021

My entire world, full of monsters and treasures, will likely be done by the end of the year. After that it's all NPCs and side quests... then done. I'm never making an open world game again xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xuincy