RMMV Chi (A Short Horror Game) !!FREE DEMO AVAILABLE!!

Keroanne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Placeholder0.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 3.16.33 PM.png

WWTGBL.png
A horror game that shouldn't take more than two hours to complete, Chi is the story of a child who lives in a small village.

This game is more of a visual novel than any sort of RPG, but it does have interactive items, some simple quick time events, and fetch quests. There's just under 100 CGs, and some minor animation, so you can expect a lot of artwork. This game is much more about experiencing the story and exploring than anything else.

(And except for a sound or two, there's no RTP, as well!)

scshts.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 2.53.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 2.56.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 2.57.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 3.00.26 PM.png

chrcters.png
Chi3.png
Chi -- our protagonist, as well as the namesake of the game.. She's a cheerful and kind six year old girl who loves to draw. Because she's the youngest of three, she often is bullied by her older siblings. Still, she loves them anyway, and always wants to play with them, despite their lack of interest. She recently got a puppy, who she loves more than anything in the whole wide world.

Mitsuru1.png
Mitsuru -- Chi's puppy! She's less than a year old, and adores following her around. She's pretty easily distracted because she's so young. Whenever Chi is frightened, she give her lots of kisses until she feels better. They are truly best friends.

Papa1.png
Chi's Papa -- a serious man who has a soft spot for Chi. He's the priest at the shrine they live at, and is believed to be a god, or at least the decedent of one. He takes a no nonsense approach to being in charge, and will do whatever he must to upkeep the rules of the village.

Mama1.png
Chi's Mama -- a quiet, demure woman who mostly keeps to herself. She does a lot of work on the back end of the shrine, and is supportive of her husband. She works upstairs, in a place where Chi isn't allowed to go until she's older.

Akane1.png
Akane -- Chi's oldest sibling, she's barely thirteen, but seems to already be in her full on bratty teenager phase. She hates when Chi enters her room, and is very focused on attempting to make fashionable clothing. She doesn't enjoy wearing the standard yukata or kimono, and wishes she had friends her own age.

Kohaku1.png
Kohaku -- Chi's older brother, a slightly chubby boy who enjoys video games and tokusatsu (i.e. Power Rangers and the like). He tends to be grumpy and speaks in few words. He's actually really intelligent, but he gets bored very easily.

Shopkeeper1.png
Shopkeeper Setsuko -- a woman in her late 60s/early 70s. She's the only villager who is allowed to leave the village and/or go into the forest. She gathers supplies and sells them to the villagers. She also knows some medicine, and does blood testing for the villagers and those in Chi's family.

Girl.png1Lady1.png1Man1.png4Lady1.png
Various Villagers -- there are many villagers who live nearby, and while they all seem joyful, there's definitely something... off about them.

strlyn.png
Chi is a horror game that (poorly) facades as a cute story in which you play as a six year old girl who lives in a small village in Japan with her family and her small dog. Your father is the priest of the small shrine you live in, and you have to follow several important rules that he has set up to keep the village safe. These are the rules: you know what is best for the villagers, so they have to do whatever you and your family say, you cannot go upstairs, you must give blood every Sunday, and you cannot go into the forest.

This specific Sunday, you play as Chi as she goes on a quest with her puppy, Mitsuru, to get markers so that she can draw some pictures. You complete some minor favors, and get your blood drawn so you're able to get said markers. However, as you're walking home, the evening goes terribly wrong as Mitsuru runs into the forest. With this, in order to save your dog, you have no choice but to run in after her...

Run after her into a forest that no one returns from.

othrinfo.png
  • Chi will be purchasable for $5, but I'll also hopefully have a demo out soon.
  • The music will be completely original, written by my older brother, with me doing some minor sound design as well.
  • This game will be rated M, with some swearing, but mostly due to torture scenes and violence.
  • There are secrets in Chi, which you'll be able to find if you're extremely lucky.
  • I have a YouTube playlist that contains some gameplay, although the majority of it is a bit old.
  • This game has technically been in the works for over a year, but I haven't posted anything because I get nervous easily. So hopefully you enjoy the end of my development of this game!

Keroanne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I thought I'd go ahead and upload some CGs, just for fun! Trying not to give away too much, but it's hard lol

Content warning: Needles, blood, drugs

Placeholder14.png
Placeholder10.png
Placeholder5.png
Placeholder28.png

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The artwork is pretty charming and I'm always down for story games/visual novel types. The story kind of intrigues, especially with the whole giving blood thing that was added in like it's a normal everyday thing :LZSlol: Or in this case weekly.
Seems like it will be mystery/horror combo and I like that. You do mention torture in the rating section and given the ages (especially of Chi) I really hope we aren't seeing any kids tortured. :confused: But from what you showed/talked about it looks cool. You mentioned some fetch quests and other items and I hope those are good because they can really help break up the flow of the novel part of the game. Good luck with working on it some more! :)

Keroanne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The artwork is pretty charming and I'm always down for story games/visual novel types. The story kind of intrigues, especially with the whole giving blood thing that was added in like it's a normal everyday thing :LZSlol: Or in this case weekly.
Seems like it will be mystery/horror combo and I like that. You do mention torture in the rating section and given the ages (especially of Chi) I really hope we aren't seeing any kids tortured. :confused: But from what you showed/talked about it looks cool. You mentioned some fetch quests and other items and I hope those are good because they can really help break up the flow of the novel part of the game. Good luck with working on it some more! :)
Thank you so much for the kind feedback!! I appreciate it so much omg ! That’s kind of what I’m hoping for, a bit of breaking up the flow here and there to give some more immersion.
I’m going to be upfront and say there IS some child torture—however, the majority of it happens off screen. And trust me when I say that those who do so will experience repercussions for their actions.
I hope that when push comes to shove, you enjoy it!

Hongdangmu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love your art work! what a adorable dog! Looking forward for the demo ;-)

Keroanne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love your art work! what a adorable dog! Looking forward for the demo ;-)
Thank you so much! I'm a wee bit anxious about my art tbh LMAO But !!! I hope you enjoy the demo!!

chiithecat

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great art! It's unique and spooky. Especially your characters are horror-game-like and I love them!
I clicked this post since the name of your game is similar to our team's name and the genre of both our games is horror, and now I definitely want to know more about your game.
Is there a demo released?

Keroanne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great art! It's unique and spooky. Especially your characters are horror-game-like and I love them!
I clicked this post since the name of your game is similar to our team's name and the genre of both our games is horror, and now I definitely want to know more about your game.
Is there a demo released?
Thank you so much !! I'm surprised--we got multiple Chi(i)s out here hahaha! There's no demo yet, as I'm still fixing up a couple little things. I'll be sure to update this thread when there is!!

Keroanne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I officially have a date for the demo to be released--it'll be available on March 31st! It will take place during the first act of the game, which you could pretty easily get through in 20 minutes, depending on how exploratory you are with this sort of game. I hope that you all will enjoy my game!

Keroanne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
5AF54F33-DA44-423E-9EAC-14B93C818AF3.png‼️FREE DEMO NOW AVAILABLE‼️

My short, RPGMaker horror game’s demo is now available!! You can download it now for free with an itch.io account!!

Meowsticks

Just a person
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just finished playing the demo! I doubt I did everything you can do, but I did do most of everything (at least I assume so). That basically includes exploring around, interacting with the objects to get dialogue, talked to everyone, etc. Overall, I enjoyed it and thought it was presented very well. Also that cliff hanger ending is evil. :LZSlol:

I wrote a small list of notes while I was playing, so I'll just go over those in no particular order.
  • The keyboard configuration option is very welcomed. I have no problems with the default controls, but being able to configure every key to how you want is something people will very much like. My only issue with it is that the outline for which key you are selecting is hard to notice. I didn't even know there was an outline at first. Maybe make it more clear like a brighter color?
  • The music is well done and fits well with the atmosphere. Likewise, the background sound effects worked well. Overall it was a pleasure to listen to.
  • The voice acting, so to speak, reminds me of animalese from Animal Crossing. I'm used to it, so I like it and don't have a problem, but I know some people who might. I don't know how feasible it would be, but maybe an option to turn that off if people want to?
  • The interface is simple yet effective. For what the game is going to be, it works fine. The font is a little, I don't know to even put it, not normal? I don't necessarily think that's a problem, it kind of adds a unique quirk to the game with the font. I had no trouble reading any words for what it's worth.
  • Just a really small thing that probably bothers me more than it's even worth, but when interacting with objects to get flavor text (i.e. the dresser and the toy shelf in Chi's room), you get the text as long as you're on the square. So if I am facing the wall, it still tells me about the toys even though Chi isn't looking at the toys. Like I said, it's a minor thing but it stands out to me.
  • After everyone sat down at the table and we discussed the rules, we pop back to Chi and all of the sudden everyone is elsewhere. It was a tiny bit jarring going that fast to everyone being gone. Maybe if there was a short fade out to signify some time passed.
  • There was a lot of references to the fact that Chi can't read. If there isn't a part where this is relevant and Chi not being able to read something the player can causes some sort of tension or conflict, I will be upset. :guffaw:
Overall, I enjoyed it and, while short, sets up for what's to come and what to expect from the full version. I find myself really wanted to know what happens after the end and I think that's a sign of a good story. Good work with the game! :D

Keroanne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just finished playing the demo! I doubt I did everything you can do, but I did do most of everything (at least I assume so). That basically includes exploring around, interacting with the objects to get dialogue, talked to everyone, etc. Overall, I enjoyed it and thought it was presented very well. Also that cliff hanger ending is evil. :LZSlol:

I wrote a small list of notes while I was playing, so I'll just go over those in no particular order.
  • The keyboard configuration option is very welcomed. I have no problems with the default controls, but being able to configure every key to how you want is something people will very much like. My only issue with it is that the outline for which key you are selecting is hard to notice. I didn't even know there was an outline at first. Maybe make it more clear like a brighter color?
  • The music is well done and fits well with the atmosphere. Likewise, the background sound effects worked well. Overall it was a pleasure to listen to.
  • The voice acting, so to speak, reminds me of animalese from Animal Crossing. I'm used to it, so I like it and don't have a problem, but I know some people who might. I don't know how feasible it would be, but maybe an option to turn that off if people want to?
  • The interface is simple yet effective. For what the game is going to be, it works fine. The font is a little, I don't know to even put it, not normal? I don't necessarily think that's a problem, it kind of adds a unique quirk to the game with the font. I had no trouble reading any words for what it's worth.
  • Just a really small thing that probably bothers me more than it's even worth, but when interacting with objects to get flavor text (i.e. the dresser and the toy shelf in Chi's room), you get the text as long as you're on the square. So if I am facing the wall, it still tells me about the toys even though Chi isn't looking at the toys. Like I said, it's a minor thing but it stands out to me.
  • After everyone sat down at the table and we discussed the rules, we pop back to Chi and all of the sudden everyone is elsewhere. It was a tiny bit jarring going that fast to everyone being gone. Maybe if there was a short fade out to signify some time passed.
  • There was a lot of references to the fact that Chi can't read. If there isn't a part where this is relevant and Chi not being able to read something the player can causes some sort of tension or conflict, I will be upset. :guffaw:
Overall, I enjoyed it and, while short, sets up for what's to come and what to expect from the full version. I find myself really wanted to know what happens after the end and I think that's a sign of a good story. Good work with the game! :D
Wow, this is all incredibly helpful feedback!! I'm so grateful!! Sorry it took me so long to reply, I get a bit anxious, even when it's positive and super helpful feedback like this is. But know that I really appreciate it!!

I honestly am not super good with coding, and this is my first game, so I'll definitely take in the advice and see what I can do to fix things or add more options. I hope you might play the final version, thank you again!!

(and yes, her inability to read does have a bit to do with the story ;) )

Inksword

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey I just finished playing the demo myself! I think you did a really great way building up how "off" everything was, my favorite part was going down to see the other villager's houses and seeing how what you thought was cheery politeness and being nice to Chi was something more sinister if you looked between the lines. I'm looking forward to seeing more!!

Now onto some of the issues I ran into.
I was playing on Mac, if that does anything for you.
First off, whenever I tried to adjust any of the options in the options menu, I could adjust, but as soon as I tried to leave the menu I got this error code and the game stopped:
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 2.04.17 PM.png

Secondly, I couldn't save, not sure if you just didn't impliment it for the demo, but I got the "Please select a file slot" message when I tried to. I'm a bit of an obsessive saver so I did try to do this a few times
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 2.05.19 PM.png

Those were the only super mechanical stuff I ran into, here were some thing I think were more about the game's design:
  • The map for the outside of the home seems a little big. It just takes a little bit of a long time to get around it esepecially if you're exploring everything or have to backtrack for the flower (see my next points)
  • I had a few issues collecting the ginger and flower for the little mini quest.
    • First, I tried to go to the wall and I did try interacting with the little sprouts. I don't know if I didn't hit the square "just right" or if it wasn't activating for some reason.
    • Since the wall was actually described as "the gate" in game I thought maybe I had the wrong place and spent a relatively long time wandering around walls in town trying to find the ginger.
    • I went back to get hints (which is awesome that you have a way to go back and check again!) and then decided to get the pink flower first.
    • It wouldn't let me pick the pink flower even when I found it.
    • Eventually i went back and tried the sprouts again and they worked! And NOW finally the game let me pick the flowers. Not sure if you programmed it to only let you do ginger first and then flowers but if you did you might want
  • Now I'm not sure quest was actually broken or it was just the fuzziness of it not being clear which "square" was the correct one when I interacted with stuff.
  • I wish there was some way to interact with Mitsuru and pet him or play fetch or something for some cute bonding time before he runs away!! Even a little animation of him helping dig up the ginger would be super cute <3

Keroanne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey I just finished playing the demo myself! I think you did a really great way building up how "off" everything was, my favorite part was going down to see the other villager's houses and seeing how what you thought was cheery politeness and being nice to Chi was something more sinister if you looked between the lines. I'm looking forward to seeing more!!

Now onto some of the issues I ran into.
I was playing on Mac, if that does anything for you.
First off, whenever I tried to adjust any of the options in the options menu, I could adjust, but as soon as I tried to leave the menu I got this error code and the game stopped:
View attachment 185235

Secondly, I couldn't save, not sure if you just didn't impliment it for the demo, but I got the "Please select a file slot" message when I tried to. I'm a bit of an obsessive saver so I did try to do this a few times
View attachment 185234

Those were the only super mechanical stuff I ran into, here were some thing I think were more about the game's design:
  • The map for the outside of the home seems a little big. It just takes a little bit of a long time to get around it esepecially if you're exploring everything or have to backtrack for the flower (see my next points)
  • I had a few issues collecting the ginger and flower for the little mini quest.
    • First, I tried to go to the wall and I did try interacting with the little sprouts. I don't know if I didn't hit the square "just right" or if it wasn't activating for some reason.
    • Since the wall was actually described as "the gate" in game I thought maybe I had the wrong place and spent a relatively long time wandering around walls in town trying to find the ginger.
    • I went back to get hints (which is awesome that you have a way to go back and check again!) and then decided to get the pink flower first.
    • It wouldn't let me pick the pink flower even when I found it.
    • Eventually i went back and tried the sprouts again and they worked! And NOW finally the game let me pick the flowers. Not sure if you programmed it to only let you do ginger first and then flowers but if you did you might want
  • Now I'm not sure quest was actually broken or it was just the fuzziness of it not being clear which "square" was the correct one when I interacted with stuff.
  • I wish there was some way to interact with Mitsuru and pet him or play fetch or something for some cute bonding time before he runs away!! Even a little animation of him helping dig up the ginger would be super cute <3
Excellent feedback, thank you so much!! I appreciate it a bunch!!! Idk what's going on with the save plugin, it seems to be having issues. Very rude of it, but I'll work on a fix for it.

The error in regards to options... I'm not sure what's with that. I'm on Mac as well, so I'll noodle about with it.

I'm sorry you had issues with the ginger and flower quest!! But I'll definitely make this make more sense, and have it be easier. IDK why it wouldn't give you the option to pick it, but I'll see if I can figure out why. You don't have to do them in ginger then pink flower order. As for the size, yes, you're right, it is a bit big if you're having troubles like that. I wanted to make it seem much larger since you're a child, but if you have issues with the big quest in the area, that can make it irritating, and we don't want that. So, the big thing is to fix the hecking quest, I think.

I think we gotta make you able to pet the dog haha I really want you to love her... I'll see what I can do there as well.

Thank you again for the constructive criticism !! This is all super helpful, especially since this is my first game. You all have been so kind!

Inksword

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I do want to say, I still enjoyed the game and I was never THAT frustrated. The atmosphere is still pleasant and it's not like I was wasting hours on it or anything, just a few minutes more than I should. I still came out of it wanting to play more so don't worry too much about the stuff I encountered! I do think it's probably more likely that I just wasn't hitting the interaction squares quite right than the quest itself being totally broken, but that's feedback in and of itself!

Keroanne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do want to say, I still enjoyed the game and I was never THAT frustrated. The atmosphere is still pleasant and it's not like I was wasting hours on it or anything, just a few minutes more than I should. I still came out of it wanting to play more so don't worry too much about the stuff I encountered! I do think it's probably more likely that I just wasn't hitting the interaction squares quite right than the quest itself being totally broken, but that's feedback in and of itself!
I didn't take it as that way, either! I think I gotta just make some more squares available to interact with, to make it easier. And I'm glad it wasn't too frustrating!! It's still something that needs to be fixed tho ahhhh and!!! I'm grateful for the help.

15098D

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is really well done ^^ I like the art style especially

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This game is on my radar to play and review, so I hope to get to it soon! (I have a backlog of other game submissions given to me to get through~) It looks charming and like other horror games I play so I think I'll enjoy it. <3

Keroanne

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This game is on my radar to play and review, so I hope to get to it soon! (I have a backlog of other game submissions given to me to get through~) It looks charming and like other horror games I play so I think I'll enjoy it. <3
Ohhh, I'm excited! I hope you do enjoy it, whenever you get the chance to play it!!

This is really well done ^^ I like the art style especially
Thank you so much!! I like making cutesy art with spooky stories :3

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Progress on one of my projects has been slow, but I'm at a spot now where I feel like sharing the four main characters.

From left to right we have: Amabel, Tibby, Dusty, and Wren.

tibbyrpgcast.jpg
I'm in a much better mood about my game than I was 2-3 days ago. I keep switching between sideview and front because of the amount of assets needed for side (I'm drawing it all myself)... but I've decided to stick with front, for my own sanity. sidenote... people, planning is important. I've spent so long on just getting my game's ideas off the ground because I didn't plan ahead.
unknown.png

"Fight me."
I'll finally wash my clothes today!
SA46ATTACK.gif :kaojoy:New Arab character in action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmBee