Chiara's Columnar Basalt And Other Resources - update July 25th

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX/Ace Resources' started by Chiara, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    These are some edits and tiles I did for my own project(s) – or because I had a sudden idea – and didn't want to keep them to myself.
    Note: It's only tilesets for now, but knowing myself, there will be other things to come. //Addendum: After the release of MV it's less likely, though

Terms of Use:
    The edits are free to use for non-commercial and commercial projects as long as credit is given.

You need to own RPG-Maker VX ACE to use the edits made from the VX ACE RTP. Every file is edited from the VX Ace RTP unless other information is provided.

Whom to credit I specify below the respective resources.
    For the tiles made from scratch, if you intend to use them commercially, I want to be contacted first. It's still free to use, it's just that I want to know where they are used.

Please do not repost these resources and instead link back to this thread if you want to share them somewhere. You can edit them for your personal use. If you want to share those edits you made, make sure everything is credited properly and provide a link back to this thread. If you tell me about it, I can also add a link to it in this post so people know where to look for resources that fit with the ones in here.

Update log:

2015-07-25: A few changes to the Terms of Use. New edits in "Recolours & Edits" (A1, A2, A4, A5 and B-E)
    2015-06-26: Minor addition to "Columnar Basalt"'s Tile A5; new edits in "Recolours & Edits" (A2, A4, A5 and B-E)
    2017-07-21: Replaced image links because of a switch from Photobucket to directupload.net and changed wording that's way too outdated to reflect reality more (chances are incredibly slim that I'll be creating more Ace stuff in the near and mid-distance future)

Tilesets:
    Renaissance Italy-inspired A3 walls with matching roof recolours:
    [​IMG]
    example:
    [​IMG]
    For the walls, credit Enterbrain and Chiara.
    For the roofs, only credit Mack, as they're simply recolours via Hue/Saturation adjustments.
    Columnar Basalt Tiles with matching RTP recolours
    Example Screenshot/Testmap (with RTP tiles on it):
    [​IMG]
    Tile A2:
    [​IMG]
    Tile A4:
    [​IMG]
    Tile A5:
    [​IMG]
    Tile C:
    [​IMG]
    Info regarding the top right Tile C tiles: Those are the upper layers of what you can find on Tile A5.

The columnar basalt tiles are painted from scratch, so credit Chiara if you use only those.
    The green details are either edited or colour-picked from the RTP; and there are some ground tile recolours on A2 and A5; for those, credit both Enterbrain and Chiara.

Info: Candacis has a water autotile and grass+ground autotile that fits with my grass recolour.
    RTP Recolours & Edits
    Tile A1:
    [​IMG]
    Meant to be a shallow, muddy water tile. You need to own RPG-Maker XP to use this autotile since I used parts of the XP beach water autotile for this.
    Tile A2:
    [​IMG]
    Here, I wanted to have the sand's colour and value look similar to the XP RTP one's and tried to have the grass match the new colour better, same goes for the cliff edits on Tile A4.
    For the other ground tile recolour, I wanted to save space. They can be either shift-clicked or placed on Tile A5.
    [​IMG]
    Recolour of the green carpet and the marble-ish tile from A5; extracted the carpet pattern and used it to make decorative floor tiles (I love that pattern).
    [​IMG]
    My grass recolour combined with marble-ish borders (forgive the filename, I forgot to rename it once I remembered the correct word).
    [​IMG]
    One recolour, one edit, and one edit which is pretty much a recolour with reduced texture.
    Tile A4:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The two on the left are recolours I made about one year ago, the one on the right is overpainted to remove the bolts.
    [​IMG]
    Wall tiles painted from scratch.
    Tile A5:
    [​IMG]
    One recolour plus stairs made of the recoloured carpet. Also added stairs for going down for both.
    Update 2015-07-25: Added marble-ish stairs plus versions with decorative element.
    [​IMG]
    Floor tiles painted from scratch with colour variations.
    Tile B-E:
    [​IMG]
    Changed the book cover (the RTP one is read from right to left it seems), added a few more muted colours, same goes for the books on the bookshelves. Oh, and I edited the teecup to have a larger mug (can also be used for coffee).

Empty map to paint your own landmasses on. For the beds, I added the other beds' blankets to this one and tried to have them match the first one's in hue and value as closely as possible.

The plushie is an overpaint of the teddy bear, yellow flowers are randomly painted into the box.
    [​IMG]
    Edits of the book shelves and an additional bed. The bottles are painted from scratch.
    [​IMG]
    Vertical beds with a few variations.
    [​IMG]
    The bottles painted from scratch with more variety. Those are not arranged in any tileset format!

For these, credit Enterbrain and Chiara. For those that say "painted from scratch" only credit Chiara. Check the comments below each image for additional credits and requirements.
    Feedback is very welcome, so don't hold back.
    Addendum, 2017: Here I used to say that there will be more to come (which was kind of true, I found some WIPs I might or might not finish one day), but after the release of MV I moved to it, so chances are very slim.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Ksi, OwlySun, Maidlyn and 33 others like this.
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I do like these, especially your walls.  The recolours of the roofs go so well with them.

Having several different bits of basalt on tile C is such a help for creating interesting maps.  I see on the A5 tile that you have a tile with an 'irregularity' (can't think of a better word).  It's next to the single step tile.  I find this sort of tile immensely helpful for breaking up what might otherwise be monotonous walls of cliffs.  If ever you felt so inclined, a couple more of that sort would be a great add-on.

I'm glad you've done the recolour sands to something closer to XP.  I've always preferred that to the harsher yellow of Ace.

Thank you for sharing these.

EDIT

And an extra double-thanks for including all the credit details in the file name.  Just downloaded now and saw that.  It makes keeping track of crediting so much easier.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
    Chiara likes this.
  3. Miss Nile

Miss Nile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Egyptian Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really, really like those walls! Especially those beige brick ones. Wonderful work there. ^_^

Looking forward to more. ;)

Chiara likes this.
  4. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

You did an incredible job, Chiara! I especially love that long rock cliff. Such a unique design. :)

Chiara likes this.
  5. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    omg, by any chance you were inspired by Giant's Causeway? I always loved the design of those cliffs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
    Chiara likes this.
  6. iOrchid

iOrchid Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    this is absolutely beautiful, good job  :D

Chiara likes this.
  7. Kovos_Datch

Kovos_Datch Murphy "Spud" Tater Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The basalt cliffs remind me of a "board" game called Heroscape.

Heroscape was great. Your basalt cliffs are great. Nice job.

Chiara likes this.
  8. BardAaron

BardAaron Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow, these are pretty awesome.  I may have to work them into my project now.  Or maybe a future one.

Chiara likes this.
  9. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you everyone for the kind words! I'm very happy you like them.

@ksjp17: I definitely plan on adding more "details" to the cliff faces (or how it can be called) one day, so thanks for suggesting it.

@Archeia: Yes! I'm sure about half of my basalt reference folder is comprised of images from Giant's Causeway. Even though I did look at other places, too (e.g. there's this little waterfall in Mexico).

10. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Really lovely designs, chiara. The cliffs are great, something for a new landscape to wander through ^_^

Chiara likes this.
  11. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Candacis: Thank you!

Minor Update: I also added a link to Candacis' resource thread to the opening post, since she added a version of her spring autotiles that fit with the grass colour. <3 Just so you know!

Kes likes this.
  12. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Update! And it's been some days, so this doesn't count as double post, does it?

Minor additions to the Columnar Basalt tiles, and a bunch of edits and recolours!
    Have already updated the start post, commentary is up there. Have everything handy down here, too:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mimironi, hiddenone, Candacis and 2 others like this.
  13. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know in what way I'll use your tiles yet, but they're absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to collect even more. I really love the details and textures.

Chiara likes this.
  14. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Ms Littlefish: Thank you!

Update!
    I made some minor changes/additions to my Terms of Use and added a bunch of things to the "Recolours & Edits" section. The OP is already updated.
    For your convenience, have all the new and updated files in this handy little spoiler:

[​IMG]
    (You need to own RPG-Maker XP to use this water autotile)[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kes and Candacis like this.
  15. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Great job <3

I can't wait to use a lot of these resources.

Chiara likes this.
  16. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Nice new stuff, Chiara. I especially like the bottles (would be awsome for a healing/magic shop) and the new bed. I think, the same bed in a vertical position would also be useful.

Chiara likes this.
  17. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Archeia: Thank you! <3
    @Candacis: Thanks so much. You're right about the vertical beds! I had them on my to do list since forever (and used only a thrown-together version until today), so I tried to make some:
    [​IMG]
    (already added to OP)

RocketKnight and slimmmeiske2 like this.