Choice Window edit

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by ShadowFox, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowFox

ShadowFox Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    I have found that this idea I have IS actually possible, so I thought I'd actually ask for a script.

I am after a script that would activate via a switch and would change the layout of the choices window.

I want the window to show each choice side by side.

Like in this rough picture:

Choice Window.png

The choices that need to be side by side also needs to be larger then normal, so the window must match the font size and font type of the choices

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2013
  2. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So you want separate windows for each choice?

3. ShadowFox

First Language:
    English
    Yes..

And the font and size must be to be changed as well for the choices.

4. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I can't tell what font you're using just by looking at a picture.

5. ShadowFox

First Language:
    English
    well... that picture is just an example. It could be any font, but I'm planning on having two different custom special fonts for when I use the two choices in the game. And it won't be the fonts used in the example picture, as that is just what I'm hoping it will look like... minus the font

After saying that I believe the font is "Arial Rounded MT Bold"

6. ShadowFox

First Language:
    English
    Bump

7. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
  8. ShadowFox

First Language:
    English
  9. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Can't you edit the positioning in the script?

10. ShadowFox

First Language:
    English
    I guess I should have explained my request more then I have. I am only wanting specific choices to be side by side. Choices such as a YES or a NO I am wanting to be side by side, The option to do the Tutorial or Skip the tutorial... As well as all major 2 choices I am wanting to be side by side. All other choices even choices that have 3 or 4 options I am not wanting to be side by side.

So after saying that I have experimented with changing the Visual Novel Choices but everything I have tried completely failed.

11. ShadowFox

First Language:
    English
    Bump

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
  12. ShadowFox

First Language:
    English
    Big Bump here. Need help badly.

13. ShadowFox

First Language:
    English
    bump

14. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    hope this helps, it's like your second picture. It's not in it's own separate windows. Just put in the switch ID you want to use.

Code:
    #==============================================================================# ** Window_ChoiceList#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#  This window is used for the event command [Show Choices].#==============================================================================class Window_ChoiceList < Window_Command   Horz_Choices_Switch_ID = 5   # In game switch ID to make horizontal choices   #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  # * Get Digit Count  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  alias make_choices_horizontal_col_max    col_max  def col_max    return item_max if $game_switches[Horz_Choices_Switch_ID]    make_choices_horizontal_col_max  end  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  # * Get Alignment  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  alias make_choices_horizontal_alignment    alignment  def alignment    return 1 if $game_switches[Horz_Choices_Switch_ID]    return 0  end  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  # * Update Window Position  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  alias make_choices_horizontal_update_placement   update_placement  def update_placement    if $game_switches[Horz_Choices_Switch_ID]      self.width = Graphics.width      self.height = fitting_height(1)      self.x = 0      if @message_window.y >= Graphics.height / 2        self.y = @message_window.y - height      else        self.y = @message_window.y + @message_window.height      end    else      make_choices_horizontal_update_placement    end  end  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  # * Draw Item  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  alias make_choices_horizontal_draw_item      draw_item  def draw_item(index)    if $game_switches[Horz_Choices_Switch_ID]      draw_text(item_rect_for_text(index), command_name(index), alignment)    else      make_choices_horizontal_draw_item(index)    end  end  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  # * Calculate Height of Window Contents  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  alias make_choices_horizontal_contents_height      contents_height  def contents_height    return line_height if $game_switches[Horz_Choices_Switch_ID]    make_choices_horizontal_contents_height  endend 

15. ShadowFox

First Language:
    English
    It worked, and it is almost perfect.

However I am wondering how I could make the choices closer to the bottom of the screen?

As that is the only gripe I have is that they are not closer to the bottom of the screen.

16. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Not exactly sure where you want the choices to show. A screen shot might help ;) .

I posted the definition that you'll want to look at and added a couple of comments. self.y is the vertical position of the choice window. You can change the stuff in the self.y if you want and play around with the positioning.

Code:
      #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  # * Update Window Position  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  alias make_choices_horizontal_update_placement   update_placement  def update_placement    if $game_switches[Horz_Choices_Switch_ID]      self.width = Graphics.width      self.height = fitting_height(1)      self.x = 0      if @message_window.y >= Graphics.height / 2        # place choices above message window if message windows is in the bottom half of the screen        self.y = @message_window.y - height      else        # place choices above below window if message windows is in the top half of the screen        self.y = @message_window.y + @message_window.height      end    else      make_choices_horizontal_update_placement    end  end

17. ShadowFox

First Language:
    English
    ok. The first picture is the current location for the choises

Current Choice Location.png

The next picture is where I want the choices to be.

(I had to use a show text command to get the location right with the words of the choice.)

New Choice Location.png

18. Venka

Venka Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    let me know if this works for you. Added a new switch so you can always put the choices at the bottom of the screen

Code:
    #==============================================================================# ** Window_ChoiceList#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#  This window is used for the event command [Show Choices].#==============================================================================class Window_ChoiceList < Window_Command   Horz_Choices_Switch_ID = 5   # In game switch ID to make horzonital choices  Choices_on_Bottom      = 8   # Will always show the choice box at the bottom  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  # * Get Digit Count  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  alias make_choices_horizontal_col_max    col_max  def col_max    return item_max if $game_switches[Horz_Choices_Switch_ID]    make_choices_horizontal_col_max  end  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  # * Get Alignment  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  alias make_choices_horizontal_alignment    alignment  def alignment    return 1 if $game_switches[Horz_Choices_Switch_ID]    return 0  end  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  # * Update Window Position  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  alias make_choices_horizontal_update_placement   update_placement  def update_placement    if $game_switches[Horz_Choices_Switch_ID]      self.width = Graphics.width      self.height = fitting_height(1)      self.x = 0      if $game_switches[Choices_on_Bottom]        self.y = Graphics.height - height        self.z += 50      elsif @message_window.y >= Graphics.height / 2        self.y = @message_window.y - height      else        self.y = @message_window.y + @message_window.height      end    else      make_choices_horizontal_update_placement    end  end  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  # * Draw Item  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  alias make_choices_horizontal_draw_item      draw_item  def draw_item(index)    if $game_switches[Horz_Choices_Switch_ID]      draw_text(item_rect_for_text(index), command_name(index), alignment)    else      make_choices_horizontal_draw_item(index)    end  end  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  # * Calculate Height of Window Contents  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------  alias make_choices_horizontal_contents_height      contents_height  def contents_height    return line_height if $game_switches[Horz_Choices_Switch_ID]    make_choices_horizontal_contents_height  endend 

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2013
  19. ShadowFox

First Language:
    English
    It worked. Thanks Venka

20. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.