Choosing between Tileset/Parallax/Doodad

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by LackeDragon, Mar 1, 2018.

1. LackeDragon

LackeDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello!

Wanting to do some more advanced mapping I came across a little question which I will explain below.

At first, I was going for a classic tileset mapping, but I quickly noticed the parallax one.
    Being a 2D/3D artist, it quickly resonnated with me and so I tried some.
    But I noticed it was making a HUGE increase in file size for the project, and having some people testing my game already talking how large it was for a little demo, I fear it would be maybe TOO much.

I, then, came across Yanfly doodad, which seems to be able to solve some space issue by being able to reuse assets but I'm not totally sure because I still need either the tileset or a parallax map as a base for the map.

So here is my question :
    What would be the most : visual liberty + optimization (file size)?
    Tileset + doodads? Parallax + Doodad? Full Parallax?

Thanks!

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Tileset & Doodads.

Zarsla likes this.
  3. LackeDragon

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh well that was a pretty quick answer thanks!
    But maybe lack some informations to know why this one in particular. ^^;
    Just to be sure.

(Doodads seem to cause some loading map on map transitions tho' :o)

4. msazako

msazako "Lie of msazako" Veteran

First Language:
    Japanese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mind I suggest going to a site called tinypng to significantly reduce the file size of your parallax maps?

Better yet, pngyu for easier bulk conversions.

Mind you that these will turn your images to an indexed png, so unless you have Photoshop CS6 (or a backup copy), they will look funky if opened on standard image-editing programs.

That said, the payoff is tremendously satisfying for me since it reduced the file size of my game from 400mb to 200mb lol. I'm sure it'll work well for you too since it will give you more creative freedom without worrying about file size!

5. LackeDragon

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I do have Photoshop. It would be complicated without that to do my 2D/3D artist job haha :D

So the compression gave you 50% less taken space? That's kinda insane. I need to check that and also the quality of the pictures at the end.
    May I ask how many parallax maps you have in your project? To give me an idea of the total file size it could represent?

6. msazako

msazako "Lie of msazako" Veteran

First Language:
    Japanese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I will have to notify you that the images will lose SOME quality, but not too drastic.

[​IMG]

I mostly have animations and pictures taking up most of the space. With the use of the program, it went from 200+ to 50+. And I know it's pretty insane (even I was appalled too), but the results were there. You can try it out and see if you like it.

7. LackeDragon

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ah indeed, we see the compression but it's tolerable.
    On a map with doodads on it, it should be clearly less visible.
    Hum.. thats an idea I need to test :p

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    lol - you asked a basic question, I gave you a basic answer. You have already determined on your own that parallax causes an extremely large game file, so I clearly didn't have to state that, and anything that involves "parallax" is not in the running for that reason. Which only leaves one option.

9. LackeDragon

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok I see :p

I just wonder if doodads is really what I'm looking for tho'.
    After testing it more, it seems it really causes some freeze on menus (and making some black screen for 10frames between them) and some loading time when entering the maps (events appearing before the map for example).

Which seems to suggest it takes more memory than it would sound.
    On the other end, parallax load instantly, but as said, big file size.

So I'm still undecided on that since now it's more about a feeling of fluidity VS file size.
    That's complex! XD

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  10. scanime

scanime Will Make RPGs For Fun Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been using Yanfly's Doodads plugin. I like that it gives more flexibility than the standard tilesets, but doesn't require as much work as making parallax maps. I also like that I can easily drop in a new custom doodad instead of creating a new tile sheet. I'd like to do parallax maps. They can be detailed and beautiful, but so very time consuming to make. I think tileset & doodads is a good solution for me now, with the possibility of creating parallax maps in the future.

As for the slowness, I noticed that, too. When my maps first loaded after adding doodads to on the map, there was a noticeable lag and I would get an empty black screen for a few frames. However, when I changed from the standard 1.5.1 MV to Yanfly's optimized version of the JavaScript code (found here) the performance greatly increased and the issue went away. I haven't tried it with version 1.6 of MV yet.

11. LackeDragon

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm actually on 1.5.2 since 1.6 crash when you want to use tileset as event right now.
    I will try with 1.5.1. Thanks for the info!

Oh indeed, it's working way better. Stll have a freeze when exiting the menu, but that's the only one that still here.
    In any case, it's clearly better that way. I don't mind having 1sec freeze after the menu if I can have my maps loading as they should be haha.
    s that what you have too? Otherwise I will need to look why closing the menu make that freeze x)

In both case, it means Doodads are still a viable option then :p

12. scanime

scanime Will Make RPGs For Fun Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @LackeDragon there is a bit of lag when I close the menu in my game between the time I press Escape and when the menu actually closes. I didn't think it was the Doodad plugin, but that could be the culprit.

13. LackeDragon

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It is the culprit yep.
    However, the problem mostly vanishes in the compiled version of the game after some test, so that's fine I guess :p

I will stay in 1.5.1 for now, thanks for the tip.

And for my decision I think I will go mostly tileset + doodads, and parallax only if necessary.

Thanks!