Choosing Individual Frames in 'Set Movement Route'

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
First off, I'm sorry if I'm reposting an issue that's already been mentioned. I could've sworn I saw it somewhere, but after going through 15 pages of topics and the Bug Report, I can't find it.

One of the best tools for creating interesting cutscenes in past RPG Makers was the 'Set Move Route' command, because it allows you to manipulate the various events on screen in a variety of ways. Unfortunately, there's a problem with this command in RPG Maker MV.

If you select Change Image, you can still change an event's graphic, but you can't select an individual frame (e.g. a frame where the character is stepping forward) - only the full character set. Now there is a way around this if you make a new character set for every single frame of animation, but that's ridiculously time consuming and frankly unnecessary for something so simple. I'm curious whether this is actually a bug, because I can't comprehend why anyone would have changed this.

While we're on the topic of Move Routes, I also wanted to request the return of the 'Wait for Move's Completion' command from RPG Maker XP (I don't know if it was in VX). There is a similar command inside the 'Set Movement Route' window, but it only affects the move command of that one event - it doesn't apply universally. There are many reasons that having a separate 'Wait for Move's Completion' command is useful, most of which have to do with timing and coordination with text boxes. For example, if you set up specific dialogue timings but the player skips past the text box, a 'Wait for Move's Completion' command will ensure that any event movements that were coordinated with the dialogue will not be interrupted, and those events will end up in the correct spot for the next set of commands.

With all that said, the first problem is definitely a much bigger issue. Thanks in advance! =D

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For that first one it's been around since VX outside of behavioral sprites I've never had a problem with the change graphics command. What you could do is set it like: Turn step animation on >wait 1 frame> turn step animation off.

For the second question do you mean the wait for completion command? Because there's a box you can tick for that. If not you can just use the wait command inside the move route. This will apply only to the event the route is tied to.

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the response Uzuki! Ah, I see. Well, that was just a very simple example, but thanks for a bit of a workaround =) I still think that not being able to select individual frames is ridiculous, though. It's functionality that's already built into the engine (whenever you select an event's graphic), after all. I have the terrible feeling that this is going to make some very simple things much more difficult...

Yes, that's right. I already know about the check box, as described in my first post. My problem is that it's only applied to the event that the route is tied to - there's no universal 'Wait until Move's Completion' command, ala RMXP. Having it applied to individual events is fine sometimes, but in the vast majority of cases I'm coordinating it with other move events and text boxes. So if I tick that box, everything will happen one by one - you'll have a complete movement with one event, then have a complete movement with another, and then the text box will appear. Whereas you'd actually want those three actions to happen simultaneously. So in XP, you'd put a 'Wait until Move's Completion' command after the text box, so that if the player just skips past it, the events being moved don't end up getting cut off and the sequence being thrown out of whack.

Thanks again, and I hope that makes sense =P

Uzuki

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well likely there's a plugin for that! Yanfly Restrict movement plugin can stop all movement, either with players or events, with the flip of a switch. I'm on my phone at the moment so you'll have to go through the website for it. Yanfly.moe

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the continued help! =) But I'm not trying to restrict or stop movement - just wait until it completes.

For example, say that I've got a Set Movement Route (e.g. Event #1 is moving Down 20 times), then a Text Box, then another Set Movement Route for the same event (e.g. Event #1 is moving Left 10 times). I'd have the text-box set up so that it concludes at about the same time as Event #1 finishes its first movement route. But if the player skips past the text box, then the next Set Movement Route will activate and the event will start moving to the left prematurely. Because it didn't have enough time to go Down 20 times, it'll be in the wrong position. And that's why 'Wait for Move's Completion' can be very useful. I could, of course, restrict the player from skipping the text box, but my timing would have to be perfect, and it's a less elegant way of handling things in my opinion.

Uzuki

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well that's usually what happens when it comes to complex game design. You could just make it one movement event, IE Down 20X, then left 10X. Tick the box off for complete movement and and you'll have to judge the wait time for the event to continue. Luckily MV comes with a test function within the event scene! Cuts down on a lot of tedious work.

CriticalGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well yes, and a 'Wait for Move's Completion' command would help to make it simpler. Thanks for the suggestion, but that wouldn't work in the example I'm thinking of, because the movement to the left would need to occur AFTER the dialogue has been spoken. I get that I could time it all and just make it so that the player can't skip through the dialogue - make it all totally scripted essentially - but I don't like preventing the player from skipping through the text (or forcing the text to end suddenly - as we all read at different speeds), and it's much more awkward overall.

Thanks for letting me know about the Test function though - I knew about Preview in Show Message, but I hadn't noticed the Test option! =D

Uzuki

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No problem. Wish I could help more, but I'm more of a visual teacher. I'd have to see the event itself to figure out the proper way to do it.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The full estate map(include 1F,2F,3F and backyard), yes the backyard is a small labyrinth as well as an entrance to a real labyrinth!
Sometimes you Just need to realise someone is beyond help... Still hard to walk away tho :(
100 Horror/Tragedy Sample Maps, Penguin Mech Sprite, & TileD Templates | RPG Maker News #70

Continuing working on abs. So far I have done the workout twice. I am excited to see the results after a couple of weeks. How is everyone doing? :)
MZ: oh boy imma work today
Me, excited: Really?
MZ, doesn't do what I tell It too
Me: I Thought-
MZ: I am Working!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Somarithedark