Not open for further replies.

NightRevolt

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey guys! These are my first days using RPG Maker, and thanks to the helpful community I was able to create a very nice cutscene just studying guides/tutorials. I am very pleased so far, but I have come across a difficult task and I don't seem to know how to handle it.

You see, I have this intro cutscene with all the party members together, in such scene, there is a moment I want one of the party members (not the protagonist/player) to enter into a fight with an enemy I already created. (It's one of those 100% you're going to lose cutscenes).

I assume I need to make such party member the player, but I don't know how I can achieve this during an event. I also don't want any other party member involved. Just this one character vs. the enemy.

So, any tips? Here's hoping it's something simple and I just overlooked it!

Thanks in advance for reading!

P.S.: I use RMMZ.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is this intro cutscene the very first thing that happens in the game? Or can the player add/remove party members and/or change their formation first?

If it's the very first thing that happens, you can just leave your starting party empty, then at the appropriate time, add this one person to the party, do the battle processing (make sure you check the Continue When Lose box), then remove this person and add your real starting party.

If there ARE other party members beforehand and this is not the intro cutscene (the player can do stuff before it triggers), then if you know who is going to be in the party at that time you can add the new member then remove the other party members, do the battle, then swap them back. They may not be in the same order.

If it IS the very first thing the player sees, is there a reason why you have other party members in there?

NightRevolt

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My idea is a bit similar to the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon - This is the first thing that happens in the game, yes.

The idea behind it: It's a group os friends talking in the modern world, and subsequently something will happen that will drag them into a fantasy world. So that's why they are together from the start.

I think I should've made them NPCs, but this was my very first project and I'm afraid I'm too far ahead now.

This event is the first thing that happens, the player itself is locked into this Intro Cutscene, do you know if there is a way to:

''Dismiss'' the other party members and make the party member I want the player just for the battle? and switch back? All during one event?

Or maybe there is a way using the trigger of another event, but as I said, I am pretty much new in here and to the software.

Thanks for the reply!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If this is the very first thing that happens, just make them NPCs if you need to see them on the map. Remove them from the Starting Party in the System tab. In the cutscene, use Change Party Members to add the fighting actor at the appropriate time, and afterwards remove that member and add your real party members. Turn on a switch, and give all the NPC actors a second page with no sprite, conditioned by that switch.

Otherwise, if you really don't want to do that, then I gave you the steps above to remove them and add the other, do the battle, then remove the other and add the originals, all in the same event. You use the Change Party Members command.

NightRevolt

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm gonna try - but just a quick question: Will I lose the dialogue/animations/movements if I ''remove'' them and replace them as NPCs?

Oh wow! Am I stupid! They weren't in the party at all - just had to remove them with the ''change party member'' button. Thanks! I didn't realize I could do this!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If they weren't in the party at all, you shouldn't need to use the Change Party Members to remove them.

I'll assume your issue is now resolved, so

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I just booked a spot for my COVID vaccine today. I am just waiting to see when they can get me in. I'll be so happy when I don't have to be paranoid about the virus anymore. I'm also thinking about moving to Atlanta, Georgia, Denver, Colorado, or Houston, Texas in the far future. Maybe once my channel gets off the ground.
Went to get a haircut today, and the lady cut my hair too short... Well I suppose with the pandemic I'm not going out a lot, but it still feels a bit uncomfortable.
For real, they didn't tell me anything about THAT dragon bomber before. It could be the greatest invention since sliced bread, that's for sure!
Random Thought: Team Visustella has become the Power Rangers of RPG Maker, and Yanfly is their Zordon.
Can house furniture be used as a weapon?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
diegohernans