DedTreeJig

Ancient Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Christian Trivia Adventure game

In New Testament Adventure (tentative title) you have the option of playing as Joseph or Sarah (can be renamed in game). The game uses people and place names from the bible, however they do not represent the biblical people or places.  The game makes no pretense of being a serious RPG or adventure game, it is essentially a bible trivia game wrapped in a light hearted adventure.  Most RPG elements have been removed, such as battles, weapons, skills, magic, gold, etc.  Aside from quest items, the only other items are "bible tokens" which are received by correctly answering bible questions or by finding them in chests and other places. The bible tokens are used as a sort of currency to purchase passage to areas of the world, pets that follow you around, etc. There is no HP, so no healing. There will be somewhere between 270 and 350 trivia questions in total, all relating to the new testament. The game will use RTP graphics as the target audience is not traditional RPG gamers and will likely not be put off this.

The game world has a generic medieval theme with various continents and island surrounded by seas. The world contain human PCs, nature animals, angels and a few non-human creatures to represent dark or evil elements. 

Synopsis

Upon returning to your village of Goshen after some run-of-the-mill adventuring you are approached by the local pastor (priest) and informed that the new testament has been ripped out of the antique bible (some 200 years old) belonging to the local church. In addition, each books in the new testament has been separated and hidden in different locations around the game world. Your main quest is to retrieve all of the books of the new testament. As you search for the books you will encounter NPCs that may offer clues, or may ask a trivia question before giving a clue. For each question you correctly answer you will receive one bible token. These bible tokens will then be used to purchase items and passage to further your quest. 

Currently trivia questions are handled in one of two ways.  For standard trivia questions you are given a multiple choices along with the ability to answer "I don't know". If you choose the correct answer you receive a bible token and possible a clue.  If you choose an incorrect answer you will be told where in the bible the answer can be found, however if you answer incorrectly you cannot return and try again. If you choose the latter you will be given a hint as to where to look in the bible for the answer and you may return to answer the question.  The second type of trivia questions are found in mazes. In mazes certain passages are blocked by angels who ask questions. If you answer correctly they disappear with a bright light and you can continue through the maze. If you answer incorrectly they will continue to block your way, however you can ask the questions as many times as you like. I may change this so that random questions are used each time you ask.

Again, this is an overtly Christian game, heavy on bible knowledge, light on adventuring and practically non-existent RPG play.  I've wanted to create Christian based adventures for some time with RPG Maker, but I always found it a struggle to remove the elements of the game that weren't suited to what I wanted to do. With the release of RPG Maker MV with JavaScript and plug-in support I have really been able to customize the game play the way I want. 

Progress

I've completed the first draft of the world map, two villages replete with the obligatory houses you can causally walk in to without knocking, the parrot/pirate camp and the first level of the first maze guarded by angels.   One of the biggest hurdles has been creating the hundreds of trivia questions needed. Today I was fortunate enough to get permission from a Christian organization to use questions from their book "1001 Bible Trivia Questions", this has cut the development time down significantly.

-Keith

P.S. I am aware of the typo in the first screen shot, see if you can find it. :)

2016-03-14 14_37_12-Bible Quest.png

2016-03-14 14_40_00-Bible Quest.png

2016-03-14 14_40_42-Bible Quest.png

Last edited by a moderator:

CodeHunterEx

Hunter of the Perfect Code
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I am glad to see a game like this bein made.  I have a similiar project in the works.  Ya play as Peter and ya go all round the world and build churches.  In order to build a church ya need to get the 'clue' that mentions how many pieces of wood ya need to gather round the area, then bring it to the area where the church is to be built and if ya have the right amount (or more) the church is built.  Object of the game is to gather all 66 books of the Bible.  I doubt I will ever have it finished.  I have the first area and some other areas done so it is playable but the world is very large.  Loads of walking around (which doesn't bother me).

Slight correction.  If ya have more than the needed amount of wood it will ask ya for the correct value.

Boi

El Chapo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Finally as Christian game! God bless you brother

Lynvia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Woo Hoo! A Christian Game! 

I'm working on one too, scriptural defense of gospel and adventure, like Captain Bible, where you choose a verse to counteract a lie or untruth. Guess I'll need to post some prelim on another thread...

gendfleur

Even Satanists have standards.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This looks interesting ! keep us updated, i'm not a christian anymore but i'm a pastor's kid, so i'd be interested in betatesting for you :)

CodeHunterEx

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
DedTreeJig, is this game still bein developed?

DedTreeJig

Ancient Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
CodeHunterEx, the christian trivia game is still in the works.  I tend to take on too many projects at once so they all take way too long. In addition to this game I am also working on a MUD engine.

-Keith

Canini

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I´d love to betatest this game too if you need it in the future!

Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Any chance you could share the plug-ins you're using? I have a project or two that don't involve combat...

DedTreeJig

Ancient Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Tigersong

To remove the combat menu items open Database and go to the System tab. In the middle(ish) is an option called Menu Commands. I disabled all of them except for Item and Save.

To remove the HP/MP bars and Level info from the Actor display you need to modify the rpg_windows.js file.  To do this:

1. Important: Make a backup copy of the rpg_windows.js file in case something goes wrong. :)
  2. Open  the rpg_windows.js file in Notepad (or your favorite text editor).
  3. Look for the line that starts with Window_Base.prototype.drawActorLevel, this is the function that draws the Level info. Put // (double forward slash) in front of each line within the function, this makes the function do nothing. Example:
    Window_Base.prototype.drawActorLevel = function(actor, x, y) {
        //this.changeTextColor(this.systemColor());
        //this.drawText(TextManager.levelA, x, y, 48);
        //this.resetTextColor();
        //this.drawText(actor.level, x + 84, y, 36, 'right');
    };
  4. Do the same for the Window_Base.prototype.drawActorHp and Window_Base.prototype.drawActorMp.

Hope that helps.

-Keith

Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks! Will I be editing a single project or RPG Maker itself?

DedTreeJig

Ancient Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You edit the project.  With the project loaded select Game from the menu, then Open Folder.  Once the game folder is open go to the js folder to edit the file.

-Keith

CodeHunterEx

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Does that work for both RPG Maker VX Ace and MV?

I still use VX Ace because I am not really fond of MV.

DedTreeJig

Ancient Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It only works for MV. MV uses Javascript, Ace uses Ruby for scripting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My spirit can be so easily wounded by most things that nobody thinks twice about. It may be not a big deal to you, but it means EVERYTHING to me!
I have to make a custom tree for my FSM game and I'm nervous I won't get it right.
Finally got the tablet picture! :LZSsmile:
Working hard on my Mode7 interiors in between calls at work!
A good idea rise a moment before falling asleep, and survive the second coffee the day next morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nalkam