Not open for further replies.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It all started from this thread and @mlogan's response.

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...domly-at-begin-of-mapload.102400/#post-917894

You see... when running this guy's project on Chrome, the error:

Failed to load: data/Actors.json

occured.

And then I thought, wait a minute! How about testing MY project?
Yup! My project does the same thing. It can not find the file, even when it exists.
So I wonder, what the heck is going on here? Does Chrome have different default paths or something?
The fact is that this shouldn't be an issue, since chrome is one of the most used browsers around the globe.
Meanwhile Firefox and even Edge work perfectly.
What on earth is going on? Most probably it is a Chrome issue, but is there a solution?

Aloe Guvner

Walrus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you running the browser on a (local) server, or simply opening the index.html in the browser?

What does the browser console say? (usually it's F12 for Chrome on Windows, but you can also get there from the menu)

LTN Games

Indie Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds like you are running it locally without a server. It will play fine uploaded online or if you use a local server to serve your project. Also last I checked Firefox will run it fine without a server, I don't know much details about Firefox but it does work last I checked.

AceOfAces_Mod

Engineering to infinity!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I remember when I was attending a course for Game Development, the professor said that only Firefox can read webpage files that are local only. Chrome and others may have a security protection that prevents local-only web pages to load files correctly. You may be able to fix it with a chrome flag.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@AceOfAces_Mod Actually, edge can do it too and I think explorer can as well. I know that, because when I was dealing with three.js, I had a problem launching the project on Chrome without a server. Pretty much the only browsers that don't allow localhost to load files are those that are built upon Chromium. NWJS and electron are an exception due to the fact that they have been rebuilt to serve as a local file browser.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So, I copy pasted the project into htdocs folder of my xampp,
and called localhost\ from Chrome. It worked.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So since a web server will be present on the HTML5 version, I consider this NOT a problem. For the rest of you people:

Wanna make the game and be able to playtest it using Chrome, just cause?
Step1:
Download XAMPP
https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

Step 2:
Start Apache from the Control Panel.

Step 3:
Copy - paste all game files into the C:\XAMPP\htdocs\
so the server can access them. This folder is the only place the server can search for files.

Step4: if you copy pasted the project, index file shall be in htdocs folder.
Thus if you write to chrome
localhost\
It will play Index.

Thank you people.

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So this is... a thing.
A little something I've been working on... :kaosigh:
GoArOw1.png
This is a lot of fun
Posted some halloween freebies! Grab them while on season :kaopride:
hallow_cat.png
So my birthday was about a week ago! Just forgot to post it. I went to a Golden Corral, and it was soooooo good! :kaojoy: I also got some Animal Crossing in my life! Yay, Animal Crossing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocky_Bomboa