RMMV Chronicles of Tiadar: Create your own character, open-world fantasy RPG

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by fallenlorelei, Apr 24, 2018.

1. fallenlorelei

fallenlorelei Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Personal Background:
    Chronicles of Tiadar is inspired by a text- and art-based roleplaying game I created years ago in college. I spent weeks creating a vibrant world with the sole goal of inspiring craft and creativity within my friends: telling stories, roleplaying in chatrooms, and drawing art (both good and bad!). I suffered from depression during those days and creating that world was a form of therapy. Unfortunately, however, with depression comes loss of interest in previously beloved hobbies. What I once found joy in, I eventually couldn't bring myself to even look at.

Five years later, I rediscovered my old account and was blown away by the detail I put into the worldbuilding. And the gears began rolling in my head to put this world into RPG Maker with the same goal I had previously: to inspire excitement and imagination in the characters we can create.

This is a rather personal project in that it brings me back to those bittersweet days of enjoying art while battling depression. But I hope I'll be able to pull through and make something really special for everyone!

Story Background:
    Tiadar and Arkenea, two vastly different worlds. A world of light and a land of darkness. It is said Arkenea was first born as a shadow from Tiadar's angelic radiance, with its own denizens spouting demonic wings to contrast with the Tiadari's angelic wings. The two worlds got along for hundreds of years, with teleportation tunnels allowed from city to city known as Aerways. Unfortunately, while Tiadar flourished and thrived in peace under the guidance of a King and Queen, Arkenea turmoiled under anarchy and chaos.

The residents of Arkenea desired domination. They desired the magic, life essence, and light that Tiadar boasted. They wanted power. And thus their insatiable need for more was their demise. As the residents grew addicted to magic, craving the energies to fuel their bodies, they went mad. They evolved, and eventually cracked, turning into mindless shadow beasts now called Jintaci. The Jintaci have begun wreaking havoc upon Arkenea. What was once a place for all Arkenean life, is now a withered, dying planet.

Many Arkeneans were saved from their world, either from madness or starvation. They fled to Tiadar, and were welcomed (by most) with open arms.

Fifty years later, the Tiadari and Arkeneans live peacefully together, save for the odd radical, but the dark world of Arkenea has not ceased its desire for more magic. Aerways across Tiadar, once connected to the dark world but now severed, have become corrupted with Arkenean taint. These corrupted Aerways, called "Arkways," spew forth Jintaci into Tiadari lands.

Three factions have emerged to deal with these demons, each through vastly different ways. Who will you join?

General Gameplay:
    Chronicles of Tiadar is an open-world, fantasy roleplaying game with the hopes of providing hours of fun and replayability. Create your own character by choosing your race, class, and looks. Explore the world of Tiadar either alone, or by choosing one of three factions that will influence the over-arching yet totally optional story. How will you save Tiadar from the shadows of Arkenea?

Teleport around the world map, or trek the open world world on foot, as you close the chaotic rifts known as "Arkways" that have been wreaking havoc on Tiadar, spilling in demons from Tiadar's dark sister world, Arkenea. Either alone or with your faction, you will eventually find yourself at especially powerful rifts known as "Corrupted Arkways" that will take you to Arkenea itself, and an especially powerful monster!

Fight enough of these demons, complete quests for your Faction, your Country, or the numerous towns across Tiadar, and you might find yourself strong enough to fight the toughest Jintaci in Arkenea: known simply as Amatae's Demon.

Customization:
    At the beginning of the game, you will be able to:
    • Choose your race: Tiadari or Arkenean. These races will provide a special race-only ability.
    • Design your character. Depending on your chosen race, some choices in color and style may be limited.
    • Pick a class.
    Chronicles of Tiadar offers 9 different classes each branching into 2 of 4 specializations. These specializations include Tiablade, which provides melee abilities; Warwitch, the spell caster specialization; Seraph, for healing and supporting; and Champion, for taking hits and buffing your teammates.
    Players will be able to access both sets skills for their chosen class, but weapons and stats continue to make their influence. Focus on Intellect, Attack, Wisdom, or Defense - or try to balance your stats and work a hybrid playstyle!

After you've created your character and enjoyed the prologue, you will be able to join 1 of 3 factions, each of which features a unique storyline to experience as you fight through Arkways and eventually beat the final boss. As an open world game, the factions are optional - you will be able to fight Arkways and eventually defeat the final boss without the story.

There are 4 different countries, each with a capital and 5 different towns. Your class or faction (if chosen) will determine your starting town.

Classes:
    ClassDescriptions_v2.jpg

Screenshots:
    The game is still in very early development so screenshots are lacking.

NewWorldMap_Lite.jpg
    The current world map for Tiadar. Users will be able to teleport to the different towns using this world map, but it will also be entirely possible to walk from one end of Tiadar to the other.

CoTCharCreate1.gif CoTCharCreate2.gif
    Above is the current "prototype" for character creation, using Yanfly's Common Event Menus. Following this is SumRndmDde's Character Creator plugin.

Etheltae_v1.JPG
    Etheltae, the level 1-10 starting zone in Baelthi (the snowy region). This may change as I was mostly making the map for "concept art" purposes, but I ended up making it playable in-game. Still missing are doors and NPCs.

Characters:
    You!
    Choose whoever you want to be, from your race and gender, to your class and specialization. You will be able to design your own character from RTP assets with limitations based on the race you have chosen.

"The Youngest" Princess Luxwyn and "Apprentice Aerway Patrol" Rudy
    These two join you in the beginning, but you are free to leave the story before they join if you are keen on experiencing Tiadar completely alone. While these two come with default classes (a healer and a melee fighter, respectively), you are free to choose which class you would like for them as soon as they join.

Faction-Specific Party Member
    Should you choose to follow the story, your 4th party member will be related to your chosen faction's storyline.

More to be determined!
    As we want to emphasize replayability in this game, we will be expanding the party to include plenty of new characters. Stay tuned!

This game is quite a bit under development with a few team members helping to breathe life into it! We are still a ways off before having anything to show for our hard efforts. I hope you liked what you saw, and are interested in keeping updated with any advancements! And of course - if you would like to help - we would love to have you!

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Holyhalo, Alastor01, Citali and 5 others like this.
  2. BrandedTales

BrandedTales StoryTeller Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This sounds like a pretty fun concept. It has a very Elder Scrolls Oblivion feel to it, but the classes give it a unique flair. At first blush, this sounds pretty ambitious, but the reality is that after a few core mechanics are worked out, the game itself should flow pretty easily.

As an open-world game, are you envisioning there to be monsters across the map outside of your Arkway spill-overs? IE: Can players go explore areas without arkways and find things of interest? Quest hubs?

Do you imagine the Arkways scale in difficulty along with the player, or would you see some Arkways being easier than others (outside of the Major ones of course)?

Marquise* and fallenlorelei like this.
  3. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    @BrandedTales Thank you so much for your thoughts!! I agree it is very Elder Scrolls, although I use Skyrim as my inspiration (I haven't played Oblivion but I assume they're very similar in structure!). Mostly - following a "main" story for those who need direction, but also going off to do what you want for those who like the open-world concept.

I agree! That's my hope. I have the "random Arkway on map" working which I assumed would be the hard part. Now it's just filling it in with what makes a game "fun" (which, based on the critique from my last two projects, I need to focus on this time around).

Unrelated, but I am trying to steer away from using the word "sandbox" even though it is "open world." I think adding sandbox elements would be way beyond my capabilities and skyrocket this project to "Way Too Ambitious"-status.

Yes and yes! I actually just now added the World Map image on the main post. The Arkways will have a surplus of monsters on the map, concentrating around that event. Defeat them all and close the Arkway. If it's a Major Arkway, defeat them all, then go into Arkenea to fight a boss (probably complete a puzzle to get there).

But there are also random Jintaci scattered in all of the combat maps, sort of "rogue" demons that wandered away from their Arkway. I'd hate to say they're used as "filler" because that implies they have no function for being there - but they will be used for "miscellaneous battle" if that makes sense.

The quest hubs will be the different towns you can teleport to. They will be populated with people who want to tell their own stories. Some stories will have you exploring the world.

Some will be easier than others. There will be "level 1" Arkways, "level 5" Arkways, etc., each one dropping better loot or more tokens. A player can spam level 1 Arkways but what drops may not be worthwhile.

Although not written above, I will add level scaling in batches based on the player level. Level 1 Arkways will have enemies scaled from 1 to 4, Level 5 Arkways scaled from 5 to 10, and so on.

But as this is in early development, I haven't yet scaled the enemies yet. These level #s are just filler for now until I get a better idea on the progression :)

Thanks again!

BrandedTales likes this.
  4. BrandedTales

BrandedTales StoryTeller Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, it sounds like a pretty interesting game. Let me know when you are thinking about bringing others in. I'm not much, but I find working on games with other people more rewarding than working by myself, so I'm happy to help if there's anything I can help with.

5. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    I'll definitely be looking for some help with this game. Due to the sheer amount of content, I'll need mappers, writers, and worldbuilders ("idea guys" for side quests, making sure the regions aren't too repetitive [not 2 desert scenes the same], etc.). I'll ask for a composer too, I think! You never know who might be interested!

But because it's early development, I'd hate to cast out my net for something that's barely tangible.

If you're interested though, shoot me a PM with what you had in mind!

6. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    Excited bump to let everyone know that we're recruiting! I've already got a co-developer and a writer on board, and would love love love some more people to help this project along.

Soon we'll have a huge edit to this post (been ironing out kinks these past few days with the new teammembers), along with fun gifs of skills and abilities. I'm going to need to have this post sent to In Development at some point, too. Hooray! Very exciting. I hope you all are excited too!

7. mobiusclimber

mobiusclimber Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This sounds like a really fun concept! I especially like the classes! I have one suggestion tho, but you are probably way too far along even if you did like the suggestion... But here it goes anyway: I would flip it so that Tiadar is the aggressors, desiring conquest, tribute and advancements (whatever that may be). A once proud and virtuous beacon of light, corrupted by greed, attempting to tame their "savage" neighbors...

8. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    Thanks so much!! And I love your idea. Actually, the "main story" of Tiadar is up to the player. There are 3 factions they can join right from the beginning - one of those storylines sort of follows what you wrote! They're pretty much split into your standard align: Good storyline, Neutral storyline, and an "Evil" storyline. It isn't so black and white of course. I think the "Good" storyline will fit your idea!

mobiusclimber likes this.
  9. mobiusclimber

mobiusclimber Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow that's cool! I can't wait to play your game, it really sounds well-thought-out and put together (idea-wise).

OOC: I kept thinking I'd heard/seen your name before and couldn't remember from where. Then it dawned on me. You make Youtube tutorials! I love your tutorials!!! They're very informative and easy to follow.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  10. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    Awww grkrejgnr thank you!! I honestly never expect people to recognize me! Should I wear a big cowl and sunglasses?? Jkjkjkjk.

Those YouTube tuts are so old! As long as people follow the Photoshop instructions and not the plugin instructions, it should still be fine, hahah.

mobiusclimber likes this.
  11. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    The game has been under some heavy development this my last post! (Has it really been 10 days??) I've updated the above information to reflect the changes. We're finally beginning to finalize a lot of decisions and pick up some steam!

Major changes include:
    • Narrowing the scope by clipping off a few unnecessary details. We'd like to actually finish the game, and not get stuck on feature block ;)
    • Adjusting a lot of classes to make them more interesting compared to their counterparts, most notably: Nightfliers, Stormweavers, Waterdwellers, and Windspeakers. Not only do they have new special abilities, but they have new playstyles that make them unique to the others.
    • Revising the logic of Arkways but that's more behind-the-scenes and not what you'll see here :)
    Only a list of 3 things, but they were huge!

So, I hope you like what you see! Hopefully our next update will include a lot of fun screenshots to show our progress!

mobiusclimber and Marquise* like this.
  12. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Moved to Games In Development at OP's request.. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.