maliyana

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I want to be able to make a skill system in my game similar to that of Chrono Cross' skill system.

In summation, in Chrono Cross, characters have spells called elements. They can find these elements as if they are items and equip them to any character they so chose. In battle, each element can only be used once, but they replenish at the end of battle. The solution to getting around that is to find multiple of the same element to use multiple times per battle (ie. if you want to use a fireball attack 3 times, equip a character with 3 fireball elements.

That last part is where I am having trouble. I am able to recreate most of this system through a handful of Yanfly's scripts. I can make skills equipable through the YEP Equip Battle Skills. I can limit the usage through Limited Skill Uses, which also allows them to be replenished at the end of an encounter. However, I am unable to find a way to make skills collectable, and I am not able to have multiple of the same skill equipable.

In short, I want the number of skill uses to be purely determined by how many of the skill the player has actually collected. So, if you have 5 Fireball skills, you can give 3 to party member Bob and 2 to Sarah, or all 5 to Bob, etc. I should emphasize that the skills are akin to equips, so making tying them to consumable items isn't necessarily the way to go, as you recover all of them at the end of battle.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why not just make the skills non-consumable items in their own category and have the limited skill uses determined by how many of the corresponding item the party has?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That would allow one to track how many times a skill is usable within a battle, but I don't think it accomplishes the goal of preallocating how many times each actor can use said skill.

maliyana

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why not just make the skills non-consumable items in their own category and have the limited skill uses determined by how many of the corresponding item the party has?
This is something that I've considered. There are some shortcomings to it, though, like if I have 5 of a given ability in my items, then every party member will be able to use the ability 5 times each, as opposed to splitting it. It also doesn't allow the player to decide how many of each skill they want any given party member to have.

I should add another goal, that I want a set limit to how many skills each party member can have. Ideally, each recurrence of a skill will fill it's own slot. So whether a character has 12 different specific skills or 12 of the exact same skill, if they have 12 slots, they will be filled.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm. I shall think on this.

Another Fen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I can't help with the Equip Battle Skills plugin unfortunately, but if you want your elements to resemble equips the easiest solution I could think of would be creating equipment for them.

So a fireball element could be a piece of armor with the "Add Skill: Fireball" trait and a "<Skill Fireball Use Max: +1>" notetag (Fireball would also be required to have 0 charges by default).

Here I misremembered that MV would let you choose which equipment slots each actor should have, but you would probably need a plugin to give an actor 12 "Element" slots for example:

The other issue might be that this way elements and regular equipment would share the same equipment menu, but in theory this should work.

maliyana

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Another Fen I really like this suggestion, and will give it a try. But yeah, the elements taking up the equipment menu does pose some issues, as you've said. Perhaps there is some workaround for that...

EDIT:
Here is a mockup of a layout that could help keep things neat. Anybody know how I would go about implementing this? The "dreams" in this case would be the spells.equipment menu.png

Last edited:

maliyana

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess I'll bump this one for any suggestions on how I can implement some sort of visual indicator that separates the two equipment types.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It seems that I have to change the order with which I make the fantasy games on my bucket list, because the intended title is used as a story element in the first two games in the line, and somebody else might take the title for their own game because the term uses real words. I can't risk going over the apparent three year limit for registering trademark ahead of time.
I am interested in collaborations so if you like my art, hit up my messages! :wub
unknown.png

Making good progress with the second chapter. :)

Still work in progress.

(Real life, it is chronically the fourth chapter that I am making.)
constructionworkconcept.pngezgif-2-0acb620ecf8d.gifezgif-2-afeaf16ebb8d.gif "The Great Wall is great. But, most people can only be the slaves who built it, leaving their bones underneath that wall. They spent their whole life to build that wall and the empire, an empire that enslaves them." :kaoswt2: I'm just going to turn it into a modern-day sad tale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShadyBrain_Entertainment