Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone!
So thanks to the $5 coupon I got for participating in the 2021 Map Madness event, I picked up some nice looking music packs. One of the packs I picked up was the "Cinematic Soundtrack" by Joel Steudler.

The pack came with the music as well as two EULAs, an HTML formatted one and a README text document. In the html version it states that:
The resources in “Cinematic Soundtrack” are created for use in game development only, using RPG Maker MV. Alternatively, you may also use these materials with other RPG Makers, as long as you have a valid and legal license for both engines. You may not use these materials in other game development software.

However in the text document it says this:
2. The music included in the Product (the "Resource Pack") may be used with any of ENTERBRAIN's game development software (include all related titles of "RPG MAKER Series" or "our products") that retains the Company's rights. User can create, distribute, or sell their original game by using the Resource Pack only if they meet all the following conditions: 2.1 You must be a legitimate user of our products. You shall promptly sign up and register required information as a legitimate user of our products according to the method prescribed by the Company. 2.2 Alternatively, you may use this Music Resource Pack with a different game creation engine.

I'm getting conflicting information, one states I can only use this music in the RPG Makers, while the other states that alternatively I can use the music in a different engine.

So my question is: Can I use the music in this pack in game engines outside of the RPG Maker games?

Finnuval

Made of sarcasm and rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Uhm.... *Scratches head* ...

This one sure is confusion and contradictory. Especially 2.2 is a head-scratcher as it pretty much nullifies the points above - or so it appears to...

Would love to see this one answered myself.

a3xgf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
With contradictory tems like these, I wonder what would happen in legal territory if a sue were to happen due to misuse for following the document that isn't valid, because I guess that one of the two is incorrect as they are mutually exclusive.

The only thing clear is that can't be used outside games, but wheter only RPG Maker, or any engine isn't properly clarified at all.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Our Master List has it listed as RM only, but I will also check in with the person who handles all of that to both get it fixed and to get a 100% confirmation.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With contradictory tems like these, I wonder what would happen in legal territory if a sue were to happen due to misuse for following the document that isn't valid, because I guess that one of the two is incorrect as they are mutually exclusive.
Legally, it's entirely possible to be granted permissions through multiple licenses. If you have multiple sets of permission, as long as your actions are covered by permissions granted by at least one license you've agreed to you're okay*.

Consider the asset packs that get sold by artists at two different prices with different restrictions - a lower price to use the assets in RPG maker only, and a higher price to use them in any software.

If you have bought the 'any maker' license, you can use it in any software. If you buy a rpgmaker bundle, and pick up the 'RPG-maker only' license for the same assets, you aren't MORE limited than if you didn't have it.

Similarly, open source assets and software will often be covered by multiple licenses, and you can pick whichever you want to use them under.

*Contracts that do things other than just giving permissions are obviously more complicated.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Make a Game in RMMZ Streams are going to remain in hiatus this week. Too much to do! 4 things will be announced on Monday though! Look forward to that.
Typed a long-ish reply to a post... forgot to actually HIT the post button, and moved to a different page.... finally noticed, don't remember what all I had typed and don't feel like trying to re-type it all.... smh....
Their tactics are evolving. They've learned to call for help when cornered. Never trust a mammal!
Good morning all. I still have a post up on video editing for cinematic trailers. Please make sure to check that out and give me a message as its still active in offers.
Hey everyone! I'm back :D

Snow White? More like Snowhere to be seen amiright? Hahaha I'm so sorry!! :kaocry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LioTheLion