Cinematic style Header and Footer Black Bars

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by koraiel, Feb 19, 2019.

1. koraiel

koraiel Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I searched google and the forums for this answer and have yet to find it. I would like to try to create permanent black borders on the top and bottom of the window 4 lines each, so as to incorporate specific dialogue sections to use (bottom dialogue for narration, npcs - top bar for player thoughts). This has proven difficult though as no matter what I do with the screen sizes, it still takes up the entire height of the window regardless of what I do. I am using SRD Game Upgrade as I am also using their character creation plugin, and need something I can work with in order to get that effect throughout the WHOLE game please. I know a little bit of how to manipulate js files, so if I can do it through that method that would be great. I am also good with settling for just having a bottom black border bar on the screen as well to use for dialogue sections. Any useful advice would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance to anyone that provides said advice.

2. Eliaquim

Eliaquim Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian! Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese - Br
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Try the plugin "QCamera.js" i think he draw those black bars that you want. But not sure if let the message window above the black bar.

But you can try put this black bars as a picture to. In the top and button. But again, i dot know if the message window will stay above the pictures.
    Also you can use the MOG picture effects.JS topshow the picture with a slid movement

3. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    make a picture, default screen size, proportional bars, transparent middle.
    save as PNG.

*place* it on screen as it comes, *move* it in Y scale until the middle scales bigger than the screen, then remove it.
    that's the out sequence... reverse the process to make the in sequence.

you gonna have to script the move command by hand, because the editor doesn't allow for asymmetric scale.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  4. koraiel

koraiel Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Eliaquim Thanks for the help. I checked out the Mog's and Q's lists of plugins, but nothing seems quite what I am looking for. Thanks for the help anyways! @gstv87 I unfortunately do not know how to script, just alter scripts following a tutorial. I wish I could script, I'd be making my own plugins for my game left and right.

5. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    you don't really need the scripting... I thought the tool wouldn't let you scale asymmetrically but it does.
    I used direct scripting because I wanted to grab the picture by name rather than ID.
    I didn't know how many I would need in the actual game (none!) so I was trying to not depend on the ID ordering.

make a picture the size of the screen, and make the middle transparent, to size.
    place it on the screen and scale height-wise.... that's your in and out.

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Or just have the black bars as a picture and use Show Picture, Move Picture and Erase Picture commands, depending on how you want them to appear/disappear. Put the commands into two common events (one to make them appear, one to make them disappear), then just call the common events when you want them to do something.

I don't think pictures stay when you open a menu or when you go into battle (I think there's a separate set of pictures for battle, so you might have to call the common events manually if you want the bars in battle).

7. koraiel

koraiel Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    all good ideas, but i am concerned that those implements will actually remove part of the screen that the players could be traversing on. what i really want is for part of the actual playable screen to be shrunk so that a black border appears on the bottom of the screen that is not part of the traversable space that the player will be using, almost just like a cinematic border like widescreen in a theatre projection. that way it wouldn't remove the game play space but be integrated into the window screen instead. i hope that isn't too confusing to understand.

8. Soulrender

Soulrender Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Poland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's very simple, it took me 1 minute to make it all... I use Common Event, because it will more flexible to use it in future maps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Y positions adjust for your own image, give me a moment and I record video how it works with my way.

Edit: And here's promissed movie:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  9. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    it is.
    because what you just described, makes no sense.

theatre projections ARE widescreen, by definition.
    the widescreen ratio is physically achieved by cutting out parts of a square framing.
    the square framing, IS the playing area.
    so,..... how would that be?

10. koraiel

koraiel Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    hmmm....not quite sure how to explain it. like I said, as in a theatre production, the black borders that surround the picture do not remove the picture area itself, but rather wrap around the viewing area as a header and footer. the picture itself has not been cut, but rather shrank, which causes the border bars around the picture to happen. @Soulrender that idea would work if i wanted a cinematic style of dialogue only, but what i am asking is that be a permanent feature. the way you are showing (thank you for the time invested by the way) would actually cut off the game screen if used as a permanent feature. I'm not sure this is actually possible, since it seems the only process close enough to achieve this is by using cinematic style cutscene dialogue boxes like you showed me.

hmmm...ooo, i just thought of a better way to explain this. take in essence a mobile game with the menu boxing at the bottom of the screen. it does not cut into the game screen itself, but rather sections off the particular area for the menu to sit in. what i am trying to do is similar to that, except instead of the menu box being in the sectioned off area, it would be a 4 line black box where the dialogue would be inserted, and remain a black box for the remainder of the time. does that make more sense?

11. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    .......then, it's not a cinematic frame, it's a GUI redesign.
    if you mean to reposition the playable area clearing the dialogue box, that would be a UI feature unique to your game.

12. koraiel

koraiel Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ah, a gui redesign....my bad on the terminology. i guess that would have been easier to understand huh? okay, well now that that problem has been figured out, the only other problem would be how to go about doing that if possible. any suggestions?