City of Chains

Discussion in 'Commercial Games' started by Matseb2611, May 30, 2015.

1. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking too. So I think it might be better for me to make Atonement sequel in Ace, and by the time I get round to the next project after that, MV should have plenty of plugins and resources available.

phoenix_rossy likes this.
  2. CyndaBytes

CyndaBytes Creator and Destroyer of Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Wonderful! Very impressive. Is there a demo?
    The graphics is all by PVGames? Or with edits?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
    Matseb2611 likes this.
  3. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hiya CyndaBytes. Sorry, didn't see your message earlier. Thank you for the kind words.

Yeah, the demo is linked on this post. It's a bit outdated though, but should still give a good idea what the game is like.

And yeah, the tilesets are all mostly from Wild Steam and a bit from Mythos Horror packs by PVGames. Most have been edited though so to fit better with a retro sci-fi kind of setting.

4. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys. Been working hard on making the 3 final dungeons this past week and still making the ending cutscenes. As you can imagine, with choice and consequence, there are quite a few variations to those that change depending on your decisions throughout the game.

Also, since PVGames' sci-fi tiles were released recently, I've been adding some of them to all the previous locations in the game, so some stuff will be spiced up with some glowing screens and other cool sci-fi things. ;)

This might be the last update with screenshots, since all areas have been mapped out pretty much. Last time I showed you 1 of the 3 final dungeons, the Comms Building. Now I'll show you glimpses of the other 2.

Admin Office:

[​IMG]

If you've played Atonement, you'd be familiar with this puzzle. It's similar to the Janus Guards, except reskinned to fit the sci-fi setting better. The red force fields can't be passed through, but the green ones can, but every time you pass through one, the fields flip to the alternate colour, so green become red and vice and versa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eastgate Facility:

[​IMG]

This place has you do a bit of a mini-game puzzle where you must create pass tags for each party member, and to do so you need to encode them by matching the sequences. You'll know what I'm talking about once you get to play the game. :p

[​IMG]

That's it for now. Development is still going according to plan. Hopefully in a couple of weeks' time I'll be sending out the betas to my testers. :D

5. phoenix_rossy

phoenix_rossy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Keep up the good work dude. These screens are amazing - it's so nice to see how you've progressed as a developer. Those puzzles are fab.

Matseb2611 likes this.
  6. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ Phoenix_Rossy: Thank you very much! :D

I've now sent out the complete beta version to my testers and I look forward to the feedback! The final stages of the game were very time-consuming due to a lot of choice and consequence branching, but it was worth it and I hope you guys will like it.

There are still some fixes I've yet to add, mostly visual improvements and such, but hopefully there are no serious bugs anymore. I'll also be adding new stuff, like news consoles, which will be showing most recent news, and some of those would be different depending on the player's decisions.

I've added a new sidequest in the big city centre area in Act 3 now too, and completing it a certain way lets you have a bit of a bonus later on.

I've also added 1 extra combat ability for each character (which needs to be learnt). They used to have 4 each, but now they have 5. These are their native skills that is, not the ones granted by guns.

Also been making drastic changes to the battlebacks and making tonnes of edits to the ones that come with MV to fit to the game's locations, so I hope these will match the quality of the rest of the game. Here's an example:

[​IMG]

I'll likely post some more battle screens in the days to come.

Going to get working on creating a trailer and some Steam trading cards soon too. Achievements have already been sorted out!

Thanks for the support everyone! I'm really excited to see this game released.

cabfe, CyndaBytes and Luiishu535 like this.
  7. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thought I'd post a few new things that I've been working on lately regarding the game. The testing is going well so far. I've received a lot of useful feedback from the testers and also managed to find a few issues myself. Also been recording some video clips of the game too and will start working on the trailer real soon.

Did a full body of Lorelei with wild steam character pieces for use in one of the Steam backgrounds that you get with trading cards. Say hello. ;)

[​IMG]

I've been also making and adding a number of news consoles in the game's hub areas which should hopefully give a bit of immersion into the game's world. Some of them would be slightly different depending on the player's decisions in the game. Here's an example of the very first one you see:

[​IMG]

I also added a small bar in the last hub area. It doesn't have any important quest-related stuff, but you know, expanding the setting and adding stuff to improve immersion sure doesn't hurt. Oh and you can get your party intoxicated there. :p This is similar to how Maddock could get himself a drink at a club in Incitement 1.

[​IMG]

And finally, here are a few more screens of the new battlebacks that I've edited from MV stuff:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ta ta for now. Will link to the game's trailer here once it's ready. :)

cabfe and CyndaBytes like this.
  8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Nice news console! I've been debating doing something similar with the newspapers in my game. Did you use photoshop to design it?

Matseb2611 likes this.
  9. Shuya

Shuya Gaussian Knight Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Wow, this is a very cool game... your desain is wonderfull,

This is a talent job, great. I'll download the demo then.

Matseb2611 likes this.
  10. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the comments, guys. :)

@ Bgillisp: Yeah, that news bulletin was made in photoshop. I made the black screen part first as a template and then simply added text and pictures for all the different news bulletins that can be found in the game.

@ Shuya: Thank you. A lot of the things in the game were made from stuff in PVGames' Wild Steam pack, especially the different character and machine pieces. I hope you like the demo.

11. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just put up the game's trailer on the opening post. Here it is here as well:

Also modified the front cover pic. It now includes the models of the 4 main protagonists.

[​IMG]

Below are all the character models that I've included in the Steam trading cards

[​IMG]

That's all for now. The game is nearing release very soon. Just doing one last round of testing it fully from the start. Thanks for the support! :D

12. Luiishu535

Luiishu535 Coffee Machine Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Nice job with the trailer! Perhaps we'll release our games at the same time? ;)  

Matseb2611 likes this.
  13. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks Luiishu. When's yours coming out?

14. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As soon as my writer has finished his playthrough of the game (I can't wait!). What about you? Do you have an official date or is it just whenever you feel ready/satisfied with the game?

Matseb2611 likes this.
  15. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice! I'll try yours out when it's finished. I remember starting on the older version of the game, but then decided to wait for the remake.

As for the release, I was planning sometime for mid-December since I wanted to test it enough to be sure it's as polished as it can be, so things seem to be well on-course. Everything else (trailer, achievements, trading cards, etc) seems to have been sorted already, so it's just last few bits of testing left.

Luiishu535 likes this.
  16. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Cool! I feel like the remake is light years ahead of the original, so I hope you'll like it. I'll have to try out some of your games as well too. I've spent the entire year working on my game, without really playing anyone else's. :/ That needs to change.

It's all the little things that count. I suppose you have to work even harder now when you've gone commercial. Players outside the RM community may not be too forgiving when it comes to bugs/small errors. Good luck!

Matseb2611 likes this.
  17. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, there's definitely a higher standard that needs to be reached when going commercial, but also even the direction you take your project in. Things that the RM community likes might not be so popular in the larger gaming community, and vice versa. Thanks again, man. :)

Lars Ulrika and Luiishu535 like this.
  18. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, I suppose you'll need to differentiate yourself from other games available. You seem to have done a pretty good job at this with your latest game. I'm positive that even some players from steam won't even notice that your game is from RM. Man, RM has such a devastatingly bad stigma over there, it's insane! 

On another note, I've heard somewhere that you've managed to turn your game making into a full timer. That is so awesome and I'm really happy for you! You have no idea of how much this inspires and motivates me to follow my dreams. Thank you. A dream is only a dream until it's come true. ;)

Matseb2611 and Lars Ulrika like this.
  19. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the kind words, man. :) Still not quite up there to make a comfortable living, but getting there steadily. It's just all about making a name for yourself bit by bit. Each new game released can help to get some new customers interested in your other games too. It's certainly a career path I see promise in and want to follow.

And yeah, you're right. There's a lot of bad stigma towards RM games, and I've seen it in a lot of parts of the net, but it's probably most visible on Steam. Simply visiting a greenlight page for any RM game is bound to have at least a couple of troll comments hating on RM. But there also seem to be plenty of players who don't mind if a game is made in RM. If the game seems interesting enough to them, they'll likely buy it.

I am really happy to hear that you're pursuing your dream, man. Don't give up on it. :)

Bonkers and Luiishu535 like this.
  20. Matseb2611

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Today is the day, guys! City of Chains is now out on Steam!

Click here to see the Steam page.

The game also has trading cards to craft Steam badges out of, as well as 52 achievements.

[​IMG]