Clarity's Edge Development

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Zael, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Zael

Zael Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Clarity's Edge is our first project, and the Demo / Open Beta is now available! So check back here regularly for updates, new screenshots, character profiles, and all things related to Clarity's Edge.

[​IMG]

War is brewing and no one can put their finger on why. The Oedalian Military has begun excavations, delving into the soil all over the world of Alteia, even daring to enter enemy lands. The reason for their tireless searching remains a mystery to even the highest orders of Knights. In the shadows, a sinister warlock is executing an insidious hunt for a powerful artifact, utilizing anything and everyone he can to accomplish his malevolent task.

The story begins on the fateful eve of a magical calamity that renders the Ildris Hills of Oedalia nothing but a crater. A thunderstorm rages, strange magic fills the skies, and the air is thick with possibilities. Only two people survive the cataclysm, you and another young man. As the tale unfolds, you become aware that your destinies are linked, that the bonds of friendship can be stronger than any force in the universe, and that some causes really are worth dying for. When times are the darkest, even the most stalwart heroes will face tough decisions that can take them right up to clarity's edge. Are you ready to lead your band of adventurers?

[​IMG]

These are the main Playable Characters in Clarity's Edge:

A main character of your design...

[​IMG]

The Main Character of Clarity's Edge is created by the Player. You can choose Male or Female, your name, and choose between three Classes: Mage Hunter, a melee damage dealer with a magical aptitude; Royal Seeker, a tank with a mastery of arcane forces; and Battle Wizard, a mystic theurge with some martial training.

The other survivor of the calamity...

[​IMG]

Tiro is the son of the powerful Oedalian Duke Roztide and the only survivor of the arcane explosion in the Ildris Hills other than the Hero. He is a headstrong adventurer, and the kind of guy you want in your corner.

The noble dragoon...

[​IMG]

Filaris is a retired Oedalian Knight of one of the highest Orders and he serves on the City Council at the Lakeshire Township. He is honorable to a fault, but his skill with a spear is a wonder of war.

The wandering priestess...

[​IMG]

Cajse (pronounced Kay-sa) is a Priestess from Hjaalnir, a country far to the north that most people consider barbaric and uncivilized. She constantly proves to the party that the people of Hjaalnir can be much softer of heart than is commonly thought.

The Orcish ambassador...

[​IMG]

Rellik is the Ambassador to Lakeshire Township for the Dimuadi Tribe of Orcs. While his mastery of the Common Tongue leaves much to be desired, his ability to learn the habits of beasts alludes to a far greater intelligence resting beneath the surface.

The mercenary captain...

[​IMG]

Drikal is the Captain of the Red Rose Mercenary Corp of Rafan. A sellsword of top quality, when in command of his men on the battlefield, they fight for him with fanatic loyalty. He is a hot-headed brigand, but loyal to a fault despite his love of coin.

[​IMG]
    The world that you're stepping into when you play Clarity's Edge is called Alteia. It is comprised two continents, Omonos, a smaller continent to the south that is considered cursed, and a gargantuan supercontinent called Azeria. Control of the continent of Azeria is divided up among several major powers: The Kingdom of Oedalia, a land of plains, lakes, and rivers, where something dark is brewing near Lakeshire Township. The Dastian Empire, a small yet powerful country that was built on the backs of its miners. The Republic of Danacia, a forested nation where chivalry still lives. The Elven Kritarchy of Nadir, the desert provinces where judges rule through wise deliberation. The Corporate Principalities of Phaedan, arctic territories where massive Elven-run trading companies battle for resource superiority. The Allied Tribes of Hjaalnir, an icy realm where barbarians that celebrate acts of valor wage constant battle with shadowy forces. The Free States of Aradeen, a barren land where a mysterious guild of thieves holds more sway than many would think. The People's Republic of Nysenia, a country carpeted by dense jungle where Orcs and Elves have struck a tenuous truce. The Holy Aetherian Empire, a forested hinterland where a fanatical Elven religion has taken control of the government. Lastly, the Celestial Empire of Rafan, where a powerful lich disguised as a deified Emperor rules with a rotting fist enclosed in a gauntlet of iron.

Hi-Res World Map (click to view full size)

In-Game World Map (click to view full size)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And because they deserve it!

[​IMG]

This is a credit and special thanks to anyone that has provided a Plugin, Resource, Tutorial, or form of support to the development of Clarity's Edge, we love you guys!

Plugin Credits:
    Yanfly Engine Plugins, Necessarily, Zael, Hime Works, Galv, Moghunter, Dekita, Modern Algebra, Estriole, Soulpour777, Yoji Ojima, Sasuke Kannazuki, Vlue, Maliki79, Shaz, Lyson, Alistair Plugins, SilverDash, PrimeHover, Terrax, Kaus, Amuseum, Tyruswoo

Resource Credits:
    Zael, Yanfly, PandaMaru, Flirion, Moghunter, Galv, Aekashics, Bokuo, Avy, Haydeos, Thalzon, Nanokan, Petschko, BaronBanana, Chalkdust, Chiara, Cvrtis, DBDragoner, DoctorMolotoc, Esziaprez, Firgof, FSM, Indrah, Lazhiral, Marchen, MrBum, Screech, Slimmmeiske2, Soryn, StrangeDragon99, SythianBard, TheHarmp, Zyphli, BonBon, Knight9910, ooKM, Ails, ObsidianDawn, 7soul1, IceDragon, Enterbrain, Kadokawa.

Music Credits:
    Presence of Music, Kairi Sawler, Waluigifan, Brian David Harris

Special Thanks:
    Yanfly, Drifty, Echo607, SumRndmDde for their awesome work for the community!

NathanielH, BentonH, TrevorS, PamelaR, RobertR, RichardB, JoanB, EmilyL, AmyL, DerekG, RachelG, MatthewP, NateB, KyleS, ChadrickN, JohnM, KirkE, JacobN, AndrewB, AdamB, KentF, CarolineC, AndresP, CraigC, my play-testers, supporters, and friends without whom this game would not be possible.

[​IMG]

The Clarity's Edge Demo / Open Beta has begun, please read on for more details.

For the best graphical experience, turn on Reflections in the Options menu, I have it disabled by default because it can lag lower end machines.

I apologize for the large file size, there are maps, characters, etc that are already built and in the background of the project file but not playable yet. So I would be forced to manually remove them one by one. This does mean that future releases shouldn't grow in size very much.

This is the Windows Version of the Clarity's Edge Demo / Open Beta. The Mac version will be uploaded soon.

If you have difficulties Installing the Demo, then please update your Java to the latest version and right-click the Installer and "Run as Administrator".

If you have problems saving your progress, then it is because you need Administrator rights to create files in the Program Files folder. Simply right-click the Game shortcut and "Run as Administrator", then shake your fist with quiet rage at Microsoft.

If you'd like to report a bug or a typo, or leave us a comment, please use the "Report a Bug" section on our website or email: deadbirdproductions.rmmv@gmail.com

Thanks for playing, and I hope you all enjoy!

Download: Windows Executable

Download: Windows Manual Install

Download: Mac OS X Manual Install

Thank you for your interest in our Project, I hope you enjoy the Demo / Open Beta, and look forward to hearing your feedback. While this post will be updated regularly, to ensure that you get the most frequent updates, please head on over to our website at: http://deadbirdproductions.tk

Completion Status:

Currently there are about 3-5 hours of playable content based on your participation in the optional content and side-quests. The Database, Mechanics, and Plugins are done except for the addition of a Key Item or small tweaks here and there. The Story is completely written and the Puzzle Designs are nearing completion. Most of the work we have left consists of Mapping and implementing the Story sequences. I have provided a small table to give you an idea of where the project stands:

Database: 99.99%

Story: 100%

Mapping: 27%

Mechanics: 99.99%

Puzzle Design: 75%

Plugins: 99.99%

As always, have a wondrous day! Happy game-making, and if you're gaming, may all your loots be phat!

Zael

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
  2. Zael

Zael Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A major update today! Below is the list of all the changes and notes as to what we've been working on. All of the download links here and on the website have been updated.

2/25/2016 Update 1.2322516

Changes and Additions

Changed the Recall Rune to function as a Menu Command if you have one in your possession. Equipping a Recall Rune now allows you to use the spell Recall to Escape from Battles.
    Added Event Mini Labels to Vendors, Save Crystals, and Informational NPCs.
    Added labels to Character Creation to make it more apparent which Genders and Classes are which.
    Changed the base Resolution to a 16:9 Widescreen format.
    Updated all game images to the new Resolution.
    Resized the Message Box back to its original size.
    Edited the base code of the Choices Menu to force it to link with Message Boxes.
    Added Fullscreen by default.
    Added Credits, Website, and Exit Game to the Title Menu.
    Added Flavor Gabs to Battle for several different situations.
    Added a few additional lines of text to Tiro's party to hint where to go in Ivallion.
    Added Large Choices.
    Added Hidden Choices.
    Added and tweaked the majority of the Action Sequences for Skills.
    Added a ton of Animations for Skills.
    Adjusted enemy ATB Speeds.
    Added Battle Speed Up.
    Added a 'Statistics' NPC to the Adventurer's Guild that tells you about the various stats and how they work.
    Updated the Leveled Shop System to better handle Vendor Names.
    Added a Sound Effect when someone joins the Party!

Bug Fixes

Fixed a few typos and text bugs. - Discovered by Zael
    Fixed a few Jump Terrain Tags and added some Illegal Jump Regions to certain areas. - Discovered by Zael
    Fixed a bug that caused the Font Size to change when Optimizing Equipment. - Discovered by Zael
    Fixed a bug that caused the Time to not slow back down when using Recall on the World Map. - Discovered by Zael
    Fixed a bug that caused Jumping to be enabled on the World Map. - Discovered by Zael
    Fixed two unaccessible chests in New Haven Manor. - Discovered by NeoBoodro

Development

Mapped the Bastion of the Shield Isles and the pre-unlock Dungeon.
    Added Party Members to the Bastion based on who is NOT in your Active Battle Party after the Bastion is unlocked.
    Added Teleporter Network and World Teleporter to the Bastion.
    Added Teleport Crystals to Lakeshire, Dimuadi Village, and Ivallion that will appear after the Bastion is unlocked.
    Added Quests / Side Quests for the Bestiary NPC, Item Log NPC, Weapons Vendor, Armor Vendor, Party Manager, and Teleportation Network Manager that will appear after the Bastion is unlocked.
    Added Teleport Command after the Teleportation Network Manager character is unlocked.
    Added Fast Travel NPCs to Dimuadi Village, Dimual Swamp and Lakeshire. Fast Travel between Lakeshire and the Swamp will resume after the Bastion is unlocked.
    Added new guards to Lakeshire and Ivallion that will appear once the Bastion is unlocked to represent the changing of ruling powers in Oedalia.

Screenshots of New Resolution and Updated Character Creation:

CEScreen_24.png

CEScreen_25.png

Also guys, I need feedback and bug reports, and I'm not talking about "Hey this is neat." I want detailed comments, if you think enemies are too rough. Let me know. Skill X doesn't feel like it hits hard enough or hits way too hard? Let me know. One of the mechanics needs a user friendliness tweak? Let me know. You get the idea. Talk to me guys!

Anyway, thanks for following the development of Clarity's Edge. I should have the next chapter finished up in a few weeks (I should have had it done by now but life has been crazy for me the last couple weeks).

As always: Have a good one, and if you're gaming, may all your loots be phat.

Z

Stapleton likes this.
  3. HuntingSwan

HuntingSwan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  4. Zael

Zael Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @HuntingSwan

Hey, I finally got to sit down and watch your stream of the game. I really enjoyed your commentary in the video, your streamers were great as well. <3 Thanks for the review and the insights. :)

Random battles are the bane of my existence, it doesn't really matter what you set the encounter rate to, the way the random battles are calculated, they pop up all the time. I'm working on this issue to make exploration and such much more seamless. Also without all the random battles to pump up your levels, this should render bosses much more challenging.

If you play through the swamp and the next few areas, the difficulty ramps up a bit. Also, once you get to the second party, jumping and some other action elements like traps and such come into play that make the HUD really useful, but you can turn the HUD off completely if you prefer a more immersive experience.

I'm working on the second chapter but dealing with some real life stuff so development has slowed down a little, but I am still working on it.

Thanks again for playing and recording it, as a developer, it helps me a lot to see people play with commentary.

Have a good one, and if you're gaming, may all your loots be phat.

Z

5. HuntingSwan

HuntingSwan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey Zael, glad the video was useful! 

I think this game has great potential!  You clearly have a very professional attitude towards your game's presentation and I'm excited to see the project evolve!

Do you have a twitter or something, I'd love to add you to my contacts.

6. Zael

Zael Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

I've had a few major set-backs in Development, but I am still working. Allow me to elaborate:

To give you some context, I live in Texas and we are currently in the middle of our monsoon season. It has been flooding in some areas of the state, and raining a lot. Basically this time of year it storms all the time. I also suffer from both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, both of which makes your joints ache when the weather is bad. As if this time of the year wasn't bad enough, something really terrible happened. I almost lost my project completely.

So...I had a major crash that got into my main hard drive, primary backup, and even my secondary backup when the apartments next to ours were struck by lightning about a month and a half ago. Thankfully no one was in the other apartment and no one was injured, but I did lose a lot of work when the power surged. I was using a Surge Protector, but that much energy being discharged that close to the device went right above and beyond what it was designed to take. Roughly two months of work gone, poof. I had to start my computer from a restore point a good ways back, wade through driver issues and a host of other problems just to get my computer working again.

I have finally recovered the project using a third party recovery program, and am taking a short break while I order my thoughts and get myself mentally prepared to resume working.

As you can imagine, even though I have recovered the work that I've lost, there are a lot of my plugins that need updating, new plugins to install, and an RPGMaker MV update has come out. Additionally I've been writing the story content during this time, so I have to get my mind back to a place in the early game.

I thank you all for following this project, it is by no means dead, and I look forward to bringing you more content soon.

Have a wonderful day, and if you're gaming may all your loots be phat!

Z

7. RedSandwich

RedSandwich Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    What tileset are you using for this? I swear I've seen it around the forums somewhere, and it looked really good. Was it like, Eon or something?

8. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    From the resource credits they listed, it looks like they've compiled a bunch of graphics, many which are available here on the forums. I'd start looking through those creators' topics to find what you like.

9. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    I enjoyed playing the demo so far. I did have lag during the intro though (the question, class choice etc).

Also, the graphics for the Shard System  (SystemOrb) caught my eye, they are really nice! Did you make those yourself or are they available for use somewhere? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
  10. Zael

Zael Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @RedSandwich Sorry for the late response, but @mlogan is right, it is a compiled set with a lot of edits. The vast majority of the custom pieces are from PandaMaru (who has a ton of amazing stuff posted around the forums). Hope that helps.

@gRaViJa Both actually, I made them myself and I have them posted up and available to use on my website: http://deadbirdproductions.tk

Just check out the Resources Section. There's a ton of stuff there.  :)

Glad you enjoyed the demo, once I get everything on my computer handled up, I'm going to go through the opening again and see if I can figure out what it is causing everyone to lag there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  11. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Whoa, that's pretty cool of you to share those graphics! Gonna continue playing the demo now :)

12. Arcmagik

Arcmagik Game Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How is this coming along? I played the demo and it's pretty good. I am only in the swamp right now, but everything looks nice

That being said though... I had a frustrating moment... Please god turn the Moss Man's Incapacitate attack in a single target... 2 Lv3 Moss Man... One Incapacitate stunned my entire party... Harra died first in the attack... 2 attacks later and another used Incapacitate... followed by them killing Filaris while he was Incapacitated... followed by half a dozen or so other attacks while the Edgeward and the Orc (his name escapes me because I accidentally deleted to many letters to restore it >.<) got wiped out. Since I had been in the swamp searching the entire thing (I died at Level 6, my save restored me at level 3... a lot of progress lost to a randofight with two lower level Moss Men).

Otherwise looking great!