Clashing Graphics - what would be the best option?...

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by SwiftSign, Mar 2, 2018.

1. SwiftSign

SwiftSign Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello o/

I've been making a game at a very slow pace, I chose the Time Fantasy tiles, I made some maps I just love and started eventing. Everything so far looks great!

But oh no. Battling.

The creator is making SV battlers, but I'm not sure if they'll be released and I'd rather not be reliant on them doing the exact character sheets I wanted... but I'm also rubbish at spriting bar small edits to tiles and colour swaps. Doing a 9*6 SV sheet for each character would not only kill me, it would probably wipe out the next few months and any fun I'm having creating.

I considered making characters in the MV generator, but is the graphics clash going to be too much? Going from a beautiful pixel based project into a modern, chibi-esque battle system ><.

Has anyone else suffered from this realisation? What could I do to help without ditching my tiles and maps so far... I really do love the style of the overworld.

Ideas:

1. Front Face battle system, alleviates most of the spriting work but I'd need to work out how to make it more unique.
    2. SV, TF character sprites but minimal animation
    [​IMG]
    3. On-map battle system, some spriting required but less. Maps would need to be reworked probably and I've never tried to use these plugins in the past.
    4. Edit the MV Gen battle sprites to somehow look right (???)
    5 . Cry

Any thoughts welcome ;-;.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  2. LackeDragon

LackeDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hum.. if you like the overworld as a whole, better use in in battle if you want to win time on that part.
    Otherwise I think you don't have choice but edit things yourself.

SwiftSign likes this.
  3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    What you have ran into is exactly why mot RPGMaker games are front view. There are not many side view enemies, and to get enough for a game requires either spending months to years making it yourself, or hiring someone to make them and spending a lot of $$$ (I've seen prices from $55 - $100 per SV battler).

Personally I'd suggest front view if it is your first game. Once you finish it, then maybe worry about the rest.

SwiftSign likes this.