Class Changing Restrictions [V1.3.8]

Discussion in 'JS Plugins In Development' started by Geowil, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Geowil

Geowil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello everyone, I have decided to start releasing my RMXP script conversions to MV for others to use. This will be the first of many. So, down to brass tacks.

====Terms of Use====
    Free for any use (non-commercial or commercial) just request that you credit me somehow.

====Plugin Informataion====

Current Version: 1.3.8
    Dependencies: None
    Known Conflicts: None, but see GitHub readme page for list of aliased and overridden functions
    Demo: Geowil_ClassChangeDemo.rar
    Project: Geowil_ClassChangeDemoProject.rar
    Github Page (latest versions will be in working branch): Github Page

====Screenshots====
    These are attached.

====What is This?====
    This plugin allows the developer to create class level based restrictions for allowing a player to change their classes. In effect this allows the developer to create a class hierarchy without needing complicated event scripting by using class note tags.

====How does it work====
    It is quite simple. First, map out your class hierarchy; which classes will be a starting point for a class tree and what levels should be required to unlock classes throughout the tree.

For example take this class tree:
    Novice > Soldier > Veteran > Captain

Within this tree each class requires different levels of the previous classes to change to it:

Novice, starting class so there are no requirements
    Solider, 10 levels in Novice
    Veteran, 25 levels in Novice and 12 in Soldier
    Captain, 45 levels in Novice, 35 in Soldier, and 30 in Veteran

This is a simple example of what you can do with this plugin. You can also create hybrid classes which require classes from multiple class trees. For example requiring a Soldier and a Mage class to change to a class that can use physical attacks, magical ones, or some kind of combination of the two.

What you can do with this plugin is limited only by your creativity and it allows you to exercise that creativity without worrying about how to accomplish it through an event.

All that needs to be done is to place this tag into the note box on the class you want to create requirements for:

<Requirements>
    Class:cId:lvl
    </Requirements>

Class = Requirement type

cId = ID number of the class

lvl = required level in that class

Finally just add the following plugin command to an event:
    StartClassChange

For more on the usage of this plugin, please see the Current Features section below where each feature is covered in detail

====Current Features====
    ===Class Level Requirements===
    As described in the last section, the main usage for this plugin is to assign requirements for class changing by using other class's levels. To continue with the example posed in the last section, here is what the requirement note tag would like for the Captain class:

So to continue the example above using the Captain class tree, here is how the Captain class note box tag would look:

<Requirements>
    Class:1:45
    Class:2:35
    Class:3:30
    </Requirements>

===Gold Cost System===
    The Gold Cost system is one of two cost systems available for use in this plugin. It works by taking the combined sum of a character's class levels and using that sum in a formula to determine how much gold to charge to allow the character to change their class. The more classes and the higher the levels of those classes, the more gold it takes to change to a new class. This system can be controlled in two ways. First it can be turned on or off from the plugin parameter.

The second way is in-game by using the following plugin command:
    ClassChanger GoldCost On

Use 'Off' instead of 'On' to turn the system off. The formula which determines the cost can be modified in the plugin parameters.

===Item Cost System===
    The Item Cost system is the second of the two cost systems. Like the Gold Cost system, this system allows you to impose a cost on class changing but instead of using gold this system uses an item which is defined in the plugin parameters. The formula to determine the number of items to charge is also available for modification in the plugin parameters and like the Gold Cost system you can either enable or disable this system from the plugin parameters or use the following plugin command:

ClassChanger ItemCost On

Use 'Off' instead of 'On' to disable the system. There is also another plugin command for this system to change the cost item from in-game:

ClassChanger Change Item ItemId

Example: ClassChanger Change Item 1

You can have both of these systems, the Gold Cost and Item Cost systems, enabled at the same time.

===Item Requirements===
    The Item Requirements feature allows you to create a class change requirement based on possession of specific items. Consider it akin to the Asterisk system in Bravely Default. In order to set up an item requirement all you need to do is the following:

<Requirements>
    Item:ID
    </Requirements>

That's it.

===Gender Requirements===
    The Gender Requirements feature allows you to allow changing based on gender of the character. This feature requires a little extra setup to work. First,you must define the genders of any characters which you want to take advantage of this feature. To do so, add the following tag to the Actor note box:

<Requirements>
    </Requirements>

Use this same tag within a class note box to define if that class is a male or female only class.

===Weapon and Armor Requirements===
    The Weapon and Armor Requirements feature allows you to define a requirement based around equipped gear. The maximum number of requirements you can create for one class this way is either 2 weapon requirements and 2 armor requirements or 1 weapon requirement and 3 armor requirements. To set up a weapon or armor requirement use one of the following:

<Requirements>
    Weapon:WeapId
    Armor:ArmorId
    </Requirements>

An important note: Make sure that all of your classes have the ability to use any weapons or armor you would allowed to used as a class requirement. If you do not then when you change to the class these requirements are for or change from that class to another the equipment will be removed. While this does not prevent the character from changing back to the class now, at some point in a future version it will and may take quite a bit of effort on your part to correct depending on the number of classes in your game.

===Weapon and Armor Restrictions===
    The Weapon and Armor Restrictions feature is an advanced feature of the Weapon and Armor Requirements feature. What this feature does is allow you to restrict the classes to which a character can change by the following ways:

• Any class that character has been perviously
    • Any class that has that weapon or armor as part of a restriction requirement (meaning that one weapon or armor can be used as a restriction for multiple classes)
    • Any other class which has a different weapon or armor restriction requirement (meaning any other classes that have weapon/armor requirements with a Restricted attribute)

To create a restriction all you need to do is add an extra attribute to the weapon/armor requirement:

<Requirements>
    Weapon:WeapId:Restricted
    Armor:ArmorId:Restricted
    </Requirements>

Again, please note that you can have at maximum one to two weapon restrictions/requirements and 2 to 3 armor restrictions/requirements per class but also you can only have the same number of weapons/armor equipped to the character which have different class restrictions. This means one character can have access to at maximum 4 restricted classes at any one time until they change to those restricted classes. At present, the weapons or armor are NOT required to change back to these restricted classes but in the future a plugin command/parameter to enable such a feature may be added.

===Weapon and Armor Requirement Replacement===
    This feature is another advanced feature of the Weapon and Armor Requirements feature. This feature allows you to define a requirement based on weapon(s) or armor which will override all existing requirements for that class. In short, it allows a character who does not meet any of the other requirements to change to that class should the weapon(s) and/or armor requirements which have the Replace feature defined be equipped. To use this feature change the weapon or armor requirement tag like so:

<Requirements>
    Weapon:WeapId:Replace
    Armor:ArmorId:Replace
    </Requirements>

Some important things to consider. First, the replace tag only removes class level requirements and item requirements. If there are non-replace weapon/armor requirements or a gender requirement, these requirements must still be met in order to allow the character to change to the class. Please consider this when setting up multiple weapon/armor requirements when using the Replace feature.

Second, once the character has changed to a class using this feature, the character will always be able to change to that class even when the weapon/armor replace requirement are no longer equipped and the character does not meet the other requirements.

Third, if the weapon/armor that is part of the replace requirement is no equipped, the other requirements for that class need to be met to change to it. This feature only has an impact when the weapon/armor is equipped.

===Classes with no requirements===
    If you wish to create a class without any requirements, just leave the note box for that class blank. In the future you may be required to change this to an empty Requirements tag such as the following:

<Requirements>
    </Requirements>

====Planned Features/Changes====
    -No new features at the moment

Planned Future Changes:
    • Implementation of a parameter to control if Replace requirements should allow changing to that class if the weapon/armor is not equipped and the character does not meet the other requirements.
    • Implementation of a parameter to control is weapons and armor in Restricted requirements are required to return to that class.
    • Implementation of empty Requirements tag for no-requirement classes instead of an empty note box.
    • Extending Replace tag attribute to item requirements.

====Conflicts====
    Right know there are no known conflicts however anything that aliases the following functions may conflict with this plugin:

DataManager.isDatabaseLoaded
    Game_Interpreter.prototype.pluginCommand
    Game_Actor.prototype.initialize
    Game_Actor.prototype.initMembers
    Game_Actor.prototype.refresh

If you use another plugin which has note tags for classes or actors but does not handle tags which are not apart of that plugin, this plugin will cause problems. The same is true for other plugins which use the class note box in relation to classes which you want no requirements for. Currently the code for this plugin looks for an empty note box to define a requirement-less class. This will change in the future to mitigate this risk.

====Ok, so what are the features?====
    Features in V1.3.0:
    • Allows adding requirements to change classes through use of note tags.
    • Will remove all skills from the character at the point of changing classes and assign the skills from the changed to class that the character is eligible to receive.
    • Keeps track of each characters used classes and their levels with those classes and then displays that information within the scene for easy reference.
    • Class requirements are color coded and changeable through parameters so that you can change the color code however you like. By default, character classes that meet a requirement are green and those that do not are red.
    • Freely change between classes. Using existing functionality in MV along with some added bits to retain levels, exp, and removal of prior class skills.
    • Cost-based class changing using gold and/or items
    • Color coding the complete class list to show players what classes their characters are eligible to change to without having to select them to see that actual requirements.
    • Classes with no requirements
    • Gender requirements
    • Item requirements
    • Equipped Weapon/Armor requirements
    • Class restrictions based on equipped weapons/armor
    • Weapon/Armor that, when equipped, can bypass Item and Class Level requirements

====Ok, cool, but what about future plans?====
    Glad you asked. Here are some ideas I have for future functionality. Please note these may or may not happen.
    • Parameter options to control some aspects of the Weapon/Armor requirements feature, specifically in dealing with how some aspects of the Restriction and Replace attribute functionality.
    • Extending Replace functionality to Item requirements.

====So, who gets some credit?====

Credit to SephirothSpawn, original creator of the RMXP script this is loosely based off of.

====Are there any bugs in the latest version?====
    No bugs have been sighted yet.

====Change Logs====
    Version 1.3.8 Changelog:
    -Fixed an issue that prevented the plugin from working without using a mouse for selection. The plugin will now work with keyboards and controllers without needing a mouse. (omeg)
    -Fixed the project link in the original post and on GitHub.

Version 1.3.1 Changelog:
    -Removed usage of RegExp.$1-9 as they are deprecated and no longer reliable. Replaced with exec() function instead.

Version 1.3.0 Changelog:
    -Added new feature to allow the use of items as requirements for class changing
    -Added new feature to allow equipped weapons and/or armor as requirements for class changing
    -Added new sub-feature to allow restricting class changing based on equipped weapon/armor
    -Added new sub-feature to allow equipped weapons/armor to bypass other requirements. This feature will be extended to item requirements in the future.

Version 1.2.0 Changelog:
    -Added new feature to allow a cost in gold to be applied and required when changing classes. Also included plugin command to turn this system on or off.
    -Added new feature to allow a cost in a set item to be applied and required when changing classes. Also included plugin commands to turn this system on or off and to change the required item.
    -Added a new feature to color code the full class list depending on if the player can change to that class or not. Only considers the class requirements. Plugin parameters added to change the colors.
    -Fixed a bug which resulted in sometimes not being able to change to an class that has been activated before right after changing to a new class.

Version 1.1.2 Changelog:
    -Fixed a bug that was causing exceptions to be thrown when viewing the last class
    -Fixed a bug which caused the requirements from the previous class in the class list to show up as the requirements for the current class.
    -Fixed a bug where you were not allowed to change to certain classes due to an issue revealed by fixing the previous bug.​

Version 1.1.0 Changelog:
    -Fixed issue where changing between classes was not setting skills in some circumstances.
    -Fixed issue where first Class List item was blank and the last class in the database was not loaded.​

Version 1.0.0 Changelog:
    -Initial version of plugin uploaded​
    [/soiler]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    keizz and mrcopra like this.
  2. Geowil

Geowil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Updated the post for version 1.2.0 information. Removed MVPlugins page link, replaced it with the GitHub repo page instead. MVPlugins page will redirect to there after I update it. Also added the project file link.

3. Geowil

Geowil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Updated the op for version 1.3.0 information. I have also spruced up demo and project. The demo now only contains used files so it is much smaller. I have also included an NPC which will describe all of the features of the plugin and how to use them if you should not want to download the project however the project will help in setting up some of the more complex requirement patters.

For the full information on the plugin and how to use it, please visit the git hub repo. All the newest version are in the Working branch until the plugin is ready for release.

4. Geowil

Geowil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Made a small update to the plugin to remove any RegExp.$1-9 references as these are deprecated now and don't work reliably. These have been replaced with the exec() command which is more powerful and useful.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  5. Hackateck

Hackateck Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, i have class tree system and this is my example.
    warrior> choose path: paladin or blader
    in order to change class i need to level up my warrior into lvl 30. then this is my question,
    what if i choose blader? is warrior class and paladin class will be unavailable after i learn blader class?
    like having a command to make the starting class to unavailable after reaching the second class?
    thank you for your plugin btw.

6. Geowil

Geowil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi Hackateck,

The way the plugin is coded makes it so that any and all classes can be obtained unless there are restrictions placed on that class in that class' note tag or at least that is how I remember it working. I have note done any work on the plugin in a while but I will check out you scenario to be sure it will work like that.

Thanks.

7. Geowil

Geowil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello everyone, I have fixed a small issue which was causing the plugin to not work if you were not using a mouse to select within the menus which was reported by omeg. I have also fixed the project link. I have also updated the demo.

I am planning to revisit my plugins in September to see what I can do about refactoring them and adding some new features. If you have any suggestions for any of my plugins or have found any bugs/issues, now would be the time to report them.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  8. Geowil

Geowil Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have updated the original post; I just realized that the usage instructions were extremely out of date.