Class Changing System

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by TimmyTheNerd, Aug 17, 2012.

1. TimmyTheNerd

TimmyTheNerd Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    As I'm using one in my game, I'm looking into what the general thought is on games that allow players to change classes and which systems you prefer.

There are three main systems that games with class changing utlize:

1. Basic Class Change - This one is one of the main features in Final Fantasy III (NES JP and NDS NA) and Final Fantasy V (SNES JP and PS1 NA). The format is simple. As you play through the game you unlock classes that you can change into through a class change menu. The longer you're with a class, the better that character becomes with the class and may even unlock special abilities as rewards for staying with it for a certain amount of time. This system also often features a 'second' lvl type, adding a Job Level to couple itself with the Base Level.

2. Class Tree - The class tree system is one of my favorites and the one I'm generally utilizing. This has been used in mostly MMOs, as I havn't seen it used much in non-MMORPGs. At certain levels, the characters unlock two or more options. In my game, for instance, when Vahn reaches Lv.15, he may change his Warrior class into either Gladiator or Knight. In Ragnarok Online, their entire class system is based around this.

3. One Time Change - This was mostly seen in the early Final Fantasy games, mainly Final Fantasy I. You start with one class and then change into a different class. It only happens once and you can't really choose what class to take.

Now, there are also hybrid systems.

Final Fantasy Tactics utilizing a hybrid of the Basic Class Change and Class Tree system. This proved to make the game a bit more entertaining.

I think I explained it enough, so...discusion time?

2. Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon Inc. Crimson Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    O: how do you utilize class change system? does it wipe out what spells and abilities they already learned from preivious class?

3. TimmyTheNerd

TimmyTheNerd Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I utilize it through conditionals. No scripts are needed to do this.

[​IMG]

Since Spells/Skills are learned by level, all of the 'heroes' are able to change class when they get the final spell for their class. The class change checks the player's class and then if they have the right spell.

Something I found out is that any previous spells are carried over automatically by default, didn't have to mess with anything to make it happen. Only issue that rose is that when the class was changed, the player was sent back to Lv.1. To rememdy this, I have my class changer NPC give the player the right amount of levels so they would be at the level they were when they learned the final spell for the previous class.

I use a class tree system that has paths:

~Vahn as an Example~

Base - Warrior

Lv.15 - War: Gladiator - Hope: Knight.

Lv.30 - WarWar: Warlord - WarHope: Samurai - HopeHope: Paladin - HopeWar: Black Guard

The idea was spawned from how classes work in Seiken Densetsu 3. The War Path has the player following Vargos, the God of War. The Hope Path has the player following Alvia, the Goddess of Hope.

RachelTheSeeker likes this.
  4. Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon Inc. Crimson Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    hmm i did something similar but just made each character again for every class and made a set max lvl and min lvl that is the max lvl of the previous class then when the event that changes the class takes place i just change the acter with the new actor of same name and upgraded class fully unequiped as each class has a diff weapon and gear options and the new classes' gear being availible in the town that the class change took place in

5. T.Bit

T.Bit Labyrinth Explorer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like the default way that VX Ace handles class changing. It starts your character at level one (in whatever class is equiped) but if you want to change back to your old one, then you'll still be at that level.

@Timmy: I like your use of conditional branches.

6. Sage

Sage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm a fan of the class tree system as well. It just feels like you are making a more interesting trade off with that system. Though, I don't mind the Base Class change system either (Ala Tactics), especially if there is a benefit to mastering several different classes. The thing that's nice about this is that it encourages full exploration of the game mechanics and allows people with different playing styles to enjoy the game in their own way without being locked into any one type of base class. This is particularly true in

where you can just basically just buy whatever class you want to play as currently to effectively change your play style and abilities.-Sage