jcoultas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
First off, I am using MV, but I stumbled upon something in RPG Maker FES that necessitated clarification. While playing a game I downloaded long ago and hadn't gotten around to playing, I found that late game there was a mechanic that let me change between classes at well,, and whenever I changed classes, I reverted to level 1, but kept my stats. This, naturally, was a bit game breaking and made it incredibly easy to obtain max stats.

This leads to my question. I was planning to use a class promotion system in my game. Does that mean that I have to deal with the level reset thing, or does MV not work that way? I was hoping to retain the same level and just have the stats and skills auto-adjust to the upgraded versions.

If MV class change works in a similar manner then I already have a workaround in mind, but it'll be quite inconvenient. Namely, my idea is to create separate actors for each characters promotions and use variables to track how many times they have leveled up, and then when they promote use a loop to level the new character up the appropriate number of times.

Anyway, even though I can imagine a work-around, I thought I'd seek clarification whether or not this was even necessary at all. That FES game just was a mindblowing moment and led me to wonder if I made a huge oversight, as I had not even considered that it might work that way.

AmazingKazuki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just put something together and it didn't seem to do it for me in MV. MV also comes with the option of saving a level, so you could work that into a game if need be.

Of course, I tested it with just an NPC upping the level by 5, spammed it to see the stat growth and then a change class from Warrior to Mage, preset stuff, and got the results you wanted where the stats are reset.

D-D-D-Dan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can save level when changing class and then you will have the stats of that level and class.
When changing class you just check mark save level.

jcoultas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I just put something together and it didn't seem to do it for me in MV. MV also comes with the option of saving a level, so you could work that into a game if need be.

Of course, I tested it with just an NPC upping the level by 5, spammed it to see the stat growth and then a change class from Warrior to Mage, preset stuff, and got the results you wanted where the stats are reset.
Well, then it sounds like I might have worried for nothing, but RPG Maker FES working that way made it necessary for me to ask. It would be harder to balance out stats with as many as three promotions per character if they reset in level and kept their stats. If a person hypothetically promoted at level 30 and another character promoted at level 99, there would be a huge difference in power eventually.

By the way, I am scattering many trial towers throughout my game worlds, and completing trials will gain a trial totem, with a trial totem being able to promote 1 character 1 time.

The game I am working on is actually two games in one that are tied together, with the player choosing one or the other to play first. They could technically start a separate game and play them separately in different slots, but to unlock New Game + both will need to be played in a single save file.

Obviously, whichever game you play first may cause some major advantages in the second due to software limitations. HIME_MultipleInventories Script only allows two separate inventories. not four, which I'd ideally need, I don't think there is any alternative really so I'll have to manage with what I can.

You can save level when changing class and then you will have the stats of that level and class.
When changing class you just check mark save level.
I am glad to hear that. I have been creating so many classes but hadn't started implementation yet. So thought I'd seek clarification.

AmazingKazuki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What you could do is when players beat one of the versions, they get a code and are asked to write it down. Then in the second game, there is an NPC early on that asks for the code. Not all players will go right into the next because of time or personal reasons but the code would be used for a switch, perhaps. Maybe even variable. Then at the end of the second game, the two switches/variables would unlike New Game + and any other bonus content you need.

Just an idea.

Also, there is a lot of differences between FES and the PC versions of Maker, whether VX ACE or MV. At least, those that I've noticed.

jcoultas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
What you could do is when players beat one of the versions, they get a code and are asked to write it down. Then in the second game, there is an NPC early on that asks for the code. Not all players will go right into the next because of time or personal reasons but the code would be used for a switch, perhaps. Maybe even variable. Then at the end of the second game, the two switches/variables would unlike New Game + and any other bonus content you need.

Just an idea.

Also, there is a lot of differences between FES and the PC versions of Maker, whether VX ACE or MV. At least, those that I've noticed.

I think I see what you mean. Rather then start the second game immediately after completing the first, I'd create a code that can be input into the second game to track certain milestones that bestow perks in the next playthrough, for example, level may reset, but I may track which stage each characters class peaked at, and let characters begin at a higher class tier level.

For example, my Conjurer class promotes into Arch Conjurer, Summoner, and Finally summoner, with a total of 11 characters with their own classes with a similar number of available promotions.

The main story character, meanwhile, has branched class evolution, getting to choose from 2 classes, and each of those can choose from to classes, and each of those can choose from two classes, resulting in 8 possible final forms.

Note, unlike the other characters who retain their gained class tiers in New Game +, the main character does not, but not without cause. My end goal is to stack on rewards for the number of final stages you have unlocked, meaning after two separate forms are obtained, then 4,then 6, then 8, there will be bigger rewards as you start a new game.

I wont say what these rewards are,as I only have a general idea for the most part, and only really know what number 8 will be, but this only applies to Heroes of Splendora 1, nor to Legend of Magnolia, but Legend of Magnolia is by far the smaller of the two games, a side story really. Don't get me wrong, it'll still be a decently long game when completed, it just isn't as complicated and doesn't have as many characters as Heroes of Splendora.. A lot more straight-forward, and a much smaller world map.

Right now the world map is divided into 4 maps that are 250x250 tiles. I'll be using a canoe to get around in shallow water and airships that are tied to a certain temple on each map grid, meaning that to access an area's airship, you must find it's tower and it'll appear there. It cannot fly beyond the range of it's tower, so to reach new maps you have to charter boats. Of course, certain continents are connecting these maps. Technically one continent is on all for maps, so you can fly from any other temple to the central continent, but the central continent only has one tower, so the other three maps cannot gain access to the temples/airships until you charter boats to explore the other continents.

By the way, 4 maps have been built so far, but the reason I need HIME_MultipleInventories for this side of the story is because partway through the game I Intend to switch to a Villain backstory/sidestory playthrough and I intend to create new map portions separate for that playththrough before returning to the main story. Post game I plan to have the villains playable together with the main story cast, though obviously that is non-canon

Also, this is to be part of a trilogy (sorta) of games I am making, so you wont get to explore the whole world in the first game

at present the maps I am using are 4-2, 4-3, 5-2, and 5-3, with the two I am using for the villains tale likely going to be 4-1 and 5-1.

---------
| x x x x x |
| x x x x x |
| x x x x x |
| x x x x x |
| x x x x x |
---------

For Heroes of Splendora 2 I will likely use 4-3, 4-4, 4-5, 5-3, 5-4, and 5-5

For Heroes of Splendora 3 I plan to use 1-4, 1-5, 2-4,2-5, 3-4, and 3-5.

I only have a loose plot outline for these. And as for the 9 tiles not mapped during these games, I have a little something special I might do, depending upon how popular my games end up. An acquaintance of mine is also making games set in another world, but with a unified universe. I am helping him with his games and he is helping me with mine. We are contemplating a proper crossover game with worlds colliding, like Rise of the Shield hero with the Waves of catastrophe. Actually, now that I think on it, our story line we came up with for that is a bit more similar to that then might be advisable. We came up with it before we ever heard of Rise of the Shield Hero, though. Well, if we get to that stage we had better handle it carefully,

Needless to say, those map zones represent the 'lost continent' that human's abandoned long ago after some sort of catastrophe, though no one remembers what it was. As a result of forgetting just what had happened, they eventually, some time after part 3, resettle the continent. Centuries pass in relative peace and culture thrives, until the source of the previous cataclysm returns and enters battle with the gods.

As the old god (comparable to a concept from comics) begins a prolonged battle with the gods, space at time are warped and two worlds are connected, and two empires seek to expand their territory into two new worlds. Actually, if anything this idea was inspired a bit by Aion, but with the lore and the gods and the everything, we made it distinct enough that the inspiration shouldn't be that obvious, but we got to try to be aware of not accidentally looking too much like Shield hero.

Well, this is, of course, dependent on how successful each of our trilogies end up.

Anyway, I may have ranted a bit too much, lol, but thanks for the password idea. I may just have to do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

12 done, 4-5 started. Now that the weekend is over, things will sloooowwwww down again proabably.
when you're completely done with someone's crap lol...
Ami
--- Survival For RPGist Part 3 ---

F.Healer: Here it is,I made the Simple Sandwich
Survivalist
: it's so Delicious!
Chef: Here you Go! My Gourmet Steak.
Survivalist: It's Super Delicious,Too!
F.Mage: I Made it for you!
F.Healer: Uhh...Charcoal?
F.Mage No,It's a Toast!
Chef: Did you Let it in 10 Minutes?
F.Mage: Maybe?