ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There's no way anyone can answer that question for you. Furthermore, there's no 1 number that's going to be correct.

How many levels are in your game? How quickly do you want the characters to level up? How often are they getting new tiers of equipment?

The idea is you want a sense of somewhat regular growth. So it's a balance between getting access to new equipment, getting new skills, increased stats from levelling, and any other progress systems you have in your game.

The best way for you to develop an answer to this is to play other, professionally-designed games, analyze what they do, and decide how you feel about it.

Laughterofman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's a really broad question. I guess it depends on the length of the game and how many classes there are. Also factored in would be the frequency of battle engagements and length of said engagements. You wouldn't want to see the same skill over and over again to little effect (or even great effect) as this can become monotonous and boring. I don't really feel comfortable giving you a number, to be honest. It takes great consideration and recalculation as you progress through your game-making. Best of luck to you, hope this was helpful.

cfghjbfcxdfghj

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
engish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Max level 999 trillion
max equipment tier 10
there will be 31 chapters
19 of them are main story chapters
12 them are post game.

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly speaking? Start making your game and decide as you go. Get a feel for when game play starts to get a little stale and when you yourself would like to see new skills/mechanics to play with. That's the beauty of game design. *Nothing* is set in stone and you're in control of how things develop.

LordOfPotatos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I'll give you some factors so you can decide for yourself:

-an alright number of skills for an average game is 10 per character, you can start there.
-longer games need more skills, shorter games need less.
-battle intensive games need more skills, story focused games need less.
-games with more characters usually need less skills per character.
-but more skills can make characters more unique.
-if you can multiclass or change class you need less skills in each class.
-skills that are elemental reskins (like fire 1, water 1, wind 1 etc) can all count as 1 skill.

Dolorre

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In my game I have 3 different weapons that each have 6 unique skills. The reason I didn't go for more skills is that *supposedly* the average person can only keep track of 7 things in their short-term memory at a time (give or take 2).

But as a player, I'd rather have six well-rounded skills for each character that I can really get to know, then 10+ skills I have to write down.

P.S. Please, please give the player decent info about the skill in the description box! You can actually show the damage calculated by the formula (in MV, at least, though it's probably available in MZ, too).

AphoticAmaranth

An Ordinary Human
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd say focus on quality rather than quantity. Better to have a few well thought out skills than hundreds of generic skills which do the same thing and only exist to meet arbitrary quotas.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally find the sweet-spot for maximum skills the player character can have to be somewhere between 4 (as that's the limit to how many attacks a Pokemon can remember at a time) and 8 (as that's the limit to the number of commands you can have in the Command Deck for Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance).

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kept making a new frame for any change I did so ended up with a gif XD
How is it called a rpg maker game without the default "pokemon-like" battle system?
Unfortunately, while trying to run an app I needed (curse you, Adobe!), my laptop blacked out, so my data got wiped when I got it repaired. Stuff like facesets are saved in my drive, but my sprites now only exist as screenshots I've taken in the past :kaocry:To be fair, I'm a little relieved, since I've been feeling unsatisfied with the visual style of the character sprites, and I guess I can now revamp them?

after lot's of edits to Mike's attacks (to make it seamless with movement, no EX versions, cost 1-ups), I finally got combo skills to work. had to do a lot moving tho to get the combo list to appear where it is lol. that actually took longer than setting up the moves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emeri4