The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So I revamped my game again xD

Gonna make it easier, Just have a talent tree to gain stats and learn skills. In addition to weapons and off-hand items morphing the Attack and Guard commands.

Trying to make things simpler with less systems.

• Max level is 99, each level requires 100 exp.
  • 1 talent point per level (Starting with 2 so 100 max).

You create 4 characters and choose their classes.
The amount of classes is currently 36.

Hooooold up! I will explain :p

I have many talent ''branches'' for my talent tree. Each focuses on a different thing. (Some are similar though.)

--- Physical Branches ---

Unarmed: Focus on not using weapons, Martial arts.
Sword: Focus on bleeds and parrying.
Broadsword: Focus on bleeds and parrying and multi target.
Dagger: Focus on critical hits and poison stacking.
Mace: Focus on healing, shield piercing and armor penetration.
Hammer: Focus on damage, shield piercing and armor penetration.
Staff: Focus on enhancing spellcasting.
Axe: Focus on slaying beasts and taking on aspects of beasts.
Greataxe: Focus on slaying beasts and taking on aspects of beasts.
Shield: Focus on block related stats and skills.
Defense: Focus on physical defense for self.
Dual Wield: Focus on attack speed.
Command: Focus on buffing allies with war cries.
Speed: Focus on battle speed evading attacks.
Lethality: Focus on critical hits and damage.
Vitality: Focus on increasing HP.
Mixture: Enhances potion effects.

Possible Future Additions:
Spear: Focus on reach and piercing attacks.
Theft: Focus on stealing.

*Sword, Dagger, Mace and Axes can be used with an off-hand items or dual wielded.
*One handed and Two-handed trees have different skills.

--- Magic Branches ---

Holy: Focus on holy attack magic. Powerful against Unholy enemies. Damage based on Wisdom instead of Intellect.
Healing: Focus on direct and multi target healing.
Blessings: Focus on buffing others.
Fire: Focus on applying dots that stack.
Water: Focus on applying wet.
Ice: Focus on direct damage and critical effects. Ice is 100% crit on wet targets.
Earth: Focus on defensive magic. Stalling the enemies.
Mending: Focus on healing over time.
Wind: Powerful against Aerial enemies. Enhances Fire magic.
Lightning: More damage versus wet targets.
Shadow: Focus on debilitating enemies with curses.
Plague: Focus on diseases and poisons.
Blood: Focus on utilizing HP in various ways, Absorbing, sharing or sacrificing to gain something.
Time: Focus on managing the speed of the battles.
Battle: Focus on enhancing weapons with elemental powers.
Warding: Focus on magical defenses for self.
Anti-Magic: Focus on battling mages.
Aptitude: Focus on increasing MP management.
Song: Magically enhanced singing.

Possible Future Additions:
Transform: Focus on changing into monsters.

*Unholy enemies are Undead and Demons.

*Branches like Speed, Lethality and Aptitude are small.

Classes will basically just be combinations of these Branches so many will overlap.

Defensive Classes:

Templar: Mace + Shield + Holy + Defense
Guardian: Axe + Shield + Earth + Mending
Shield Knight: Sword + Shield + Defense + Command
Warden: Dagger + Shield + Defense + Warding
Battle-Priest: Unarmed + Healing + Warding + Defense
Duelist: Sword + Speed + Dual Wield + Defense
Plague Knight: Mace + Shield + Defense + Plague
Geomancer: Staff + Earth + Aptitude + Defense
Blackguard: Dagger + Shield + Shadow + Defense
Lancer: Spear + Shield + Defense + Vitality
Spellbreaker: Sword + Shield + Warding + Anti-Magic

Offensive Classes:

Crusader: Broadsword + Holy + Fire + Lethality
Assassin: Dagger + Lethality + Speed + Plague
Inquisitor: Hammer + Plague + Holy + Anti-Magic
Warlock: Staff + Shadow + Blood + Aptitude
Berserker: Axe + Greataxe + Dual Wield + Battle
Hydromancer: Staff + Water + Ice + Aptitude
Pyromancer: Staff + Fire + Aptitude + Blood
Slayer: Greataxe + Spear + Lethality + Speed
Reaver: Greataxe + Blood + Leathality + Vitality

Healing Focus Classes:

Priest: Staff + Healing + Aptitude + Blessings
Druid: Staff + Transform + Mending + Aptitude
Dancer: Dagger + Speed + Song + Healing
Apothecary: Staff + Mixture + Plague + Aptitude
Bloodmage: Staff + Blood + Aptitude + Vitality

Buff Classes:

Enchanter: Staff + Time + Battle + Warding + Blessings
Paladin: Hammer + Blessings + Warding + Command

Hybrid Classes:

Sun Cleric: Mace + Shield + Holy + Fire
Monk: Unarmed + Defense + Wind + Speed
Shaman: Greataxe + Earth + Lightning + Mending
Arcane Thief: Dagger + Theft + Speed + Time
Warlord: Hammer + Command + Lethality + Vitality
Dragoon: Spear + Defense + Wind + Lethality
Blood Knight: Broadsword + Greataxe + Defense + Blood
Bladesinger: Sword + Dual Wield + Song + Battle
Death Knight: Broadsword + Shadow + Ice + Anti-Magic

Possible classes:
Evoker
Elementalist
Harbinger
Juggernaut
Justicar
Spellbinder
Stormlord
Windcaller
Myrmidon
Arcane Knight

Some branches will be modified to better fit the class fantasy, Like the Blood Knight might have more offensive blood magic like sacrificing HP to do more damage while the Blood Mage has more healing type of spells.

Each branch will have between 30-50 nodes meaning you will mostly only be able to fill roughly half of the nodes per character at max level. Most will just be +stats. Each branch having various stats in different amounts. You can respec for a price.

Example:

Blood Skill --> +5% HP --> +2% Recovery ---> Blood Passive ---> +4 HP....etc etc.

You will also meet similar party's of the same classes to fight in the world or quests.

Edit:

This will be a somewhat open world, exp drops will be roughly the same all over the world but loot will gradually increase in quality the more remote the location is. Dungeon end bosses will guaranteed a level up. You are meant to reach max level. The endgame dungeons will be balanced around lvl 99.

You can grind to 99 in the first area you find, but regular mobs don't drop that much exp or good loot, it will take a lot longer then doing quests or dungeons.

Talents give skills and stats, but it will for the most part be % increases so good equipment is still important.

Last edited:

LordOfPotatos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Question, if you have made classes into various combinations of talent branches why not just let the player choose 4 branches and make up their own class? it would also save you the effort of putting together so many classes yourself.

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Question, if you have made classes into various combinations of talent branches why not just let the player choose 4 branches and make up their own class? it would also save you the effort of putting together so many classes yourself.
Limit of the skill tree plugin im using. But it might be possible. I do like having class names however. If the player can choose then I would have to consider all possible combos or not have class names.

Edit: I could give all characters access to all branches. Might do that for 1 "classless" class for people to choose maybe.

FarOutFighter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Love the number of classes. I love making classes too

DrBuni

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The job system in my game is very simple, just like the whole game itself. Each comes with two brand new skills, and different stats. The protagonist can swap jobs at any time during combat. I actually have not decided on a max level yet for jobs, but considering the protagonist's max level is 20, the ballpark for the max level for jobs is around 10 at most, maybe even 5. Considering there are over 20 jobs, I prefer it this way so players don't feel like they need to spend ages leveling up a job they don't like that much, just because they want some perk that comes with it.

This is just a personal thing, but I am also a big fan of lower numbers for levels, damage, currency, etc. It doesn't need to be extremely low like in Paper Mario games, but still low enough.

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The job system in my game is very simple, just like the whole game itself. Each comes with two brand new skills, and different stats. The protagonist can swap jobs at any time during combat. I actually have not decided on a max level yet for jobs, but considering the protagonist's max level is 20, the ballpark for the max level for jobs is around 10 at most, maybe even 5. Considering there are over 20 jobs, I prefer it this way so players don't feel like they need to spend ages leveling up a job they don't like that much, just because they want some perk that comes with it.

This is just a personal thing, but I am also a big fan of lower numbers for levels, damage, currency, etc. It doesn't need to be extremely low like in Paper Mario games, but still low enough.

I don't mind lower numbers either usually. I don't intend to have numbers be very high (compared to many other games at least) maybe more like moderate :p

The level cap is high but that's mostly so the player doesn't go too long without getting a talent point (progress their character).

I realize most people see Lvl 99 cap as a lot because of how exp curves usually are in games but I have static exp and you only need 100exp per level.

FarOutFighter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

How did you make your character able to swap jobs in battle? I tried to figure that out but my method was cumbersome.

DrBuni

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How did you make your character able to swap jobs in battle? I tried to figure that out but my method was cumbersome.
If you want one actor to swap jobs and technically still being the same actor in the database, I don't think I can help you. My game takes inspiration from Pokémon and Jojo, so the jobs are basically temporary evolutions/summons. So I used a summon plugin to do the job.

Each job has its own health, stats and stuff. I plan to limit how many jobs you can bring into battle (this part I haven't figured out yet, if anyone has any suggestions). So, mechanically, you could argue each job is basically a Pokémon in your team.

If you figure out a way to track the health and states from the original actor, I think you could still use a summon plugin for your job system. In this case, you would create a different actor for the Hero equipped with each different job, and replace the actor when you swap jobs in combat. Of course, without tracking health and states, the game would be broken since every time the Hero swapped jobs, they would be completely healed.

FarOutFighter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you want one actor to swap jobs and technically still being the same actor in the database, I don't think I can help you. My game takes inspiration from Pokémon and Jojo, so the jobs are basically temporary evolutions/summons. So I used a summon plugin to do the job.

Each job has its own health, stats and stuff. I plan to limit how many jobs you can bring into battle (this part I haven't figured out yet, if anyone has any suggestions). So, mechanically, you could argue each job is basically a Pokémon in your team.

If you figure out a way to track the health and states from the original actor, I think you could still use a summon plugin for your job system. In this case, you would create a different actor for the Hero equipped with each different job, and replace the actor when you swap jobs in combat. Of course, without tracking health and states, the game would be broken since every time the Hero swapped jobs, they would be completely healed.
Ah ok. I'm doing a thing where there are 9 playable characters, and each can be their own job.

LordOfPotatos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I haven't done it myself but you can pull it off with states.
states by default have the functionality to change stats, abilities and equipment. you could have a single default class for everyone and do the actual classes with states.
with yanfly's plugins (like doing evals when states are applied) you can definitely do it.

FarOutFighter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I haven't done it myself but you can pull it off with states.
states by default have the functionality to change stats, abilities and equipment. you could have a single default class for everyone and do the actual classes with states.
with yanfly's plugins (like doing evals when states are applied) you can definitely do it.
What do you mean by "doing evals when states are applied?" Does that require JS knowledge?

LordOfPotatos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
What do you mean by "doing evals when states are applied?" Does that require JS knowledge?
it's basically running events when a state is applied or removed.
you might not even need it but it's useful when you need to do weird things at weird times.

FarOutFighter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
it's basically running events when a state is applied or removed.
you might not even need it but it's useful when you need to do weird things at weird times.
Interesting. I'm using MZ. Idk if there is a plugin that does that.

What I have experimented with is using VisuStella's weapon swap plugin, and had job abilities connected to weapons. I ran into issues when figuring out how to teach actors new skills tho.

ZombieKidzRule

JAVASCRIPT FOR KIDS by Nick Morgan - Awesome book!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I never thought I would say this, but this seems like too many choices for me. And that is coming from someone who loves choices.

But I sort of have a love/hate relationship when it comes to too many "good" choices. I love having options, but then I struggle with narrowing down my choices. Especially when there are more options than I can choose.

For instance, when I can create a party of 6, but I have 9 classes that I want to play. That gets really hard.

But a lot of your different choices sound really interesting.

It must be a challenge to try to make them all feel distinctly different.

I will be interested if you release any sort of demo.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I never thought I would say this, but this seems like too many choices for me. And that is coming from someone who loves choices.

But I sort of have a love/hate relationship when it comes to too many "good" choices. I love having options, but then I struggle with narrowing down my choices. Especially when there are more options than I can choose.

For instance, when I can create a party of 6, but I have 9 classes that I want to play. That gets really hard.

But a lot of your different choices sound really interesting.

It must be a challenge to try to make them all feel distinctly different.

I will be interested if you release any sort of demo.

Thanks!

There are indeed a lot, but they wont be that different as most will share branches with a lot of other classes. It would be like if wow's talent trees (the old ones) were all mixed in various ways to create a ton of hybrid classes.

If it was 36 distinct classes all with their own unique abilities and sprites then it would be...insane xD

Also, I might add characters in the world (both static and randomized possibly) that you can recruit. And you will have a respec so possibly a class change too (Would prolly just be changing the character to another and something to detect the level) If you don't like the choices you have made then you can change them. (It will depend on how long the game turns out tbh.)

Most is just planning so far so a demo is far away.
But if you struggle with choices then this game might not be for you tbh :p

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Oh man. IGMC's finally back. I really want to participate, but I'm not sure if I have the time.
It is DC's turn to be celebrating her leveling up and starts her 20th year. We were many to think she wouldn't live that long. Starts your cats motors and make 'em purr!
why_hello_mira.jpg

I made myself a cult leader, and a concept scene for him as well. :LZSexcite:
SpaceBot wrote on DoctorMolotov's profile.
I miss you :kaocry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sm0ll